Spurs supporters trust condemn 'Sign on' chant aimed at Liverpool fans.

Seriously? 

We all know that some chants go way beyond the pale, but I do think getting uppity about this falls into that "woke" description that everyone likes to use these days. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Seriously? 

We all know that some chants go way beyond the pale, but I do think getting uppity about this falls into that "woke" description that everyone likes to use these days. 

Think that's where I am.

Cancelling this generations old chant dilutes the argument of getting rid of the generally bigoted/racist/homophobic stuff.

I dunno, theres something really impersonal about the 'sign on' chant for me. It's more about ruining that song than hating on an entire fanbase. 

11 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Think that's where I am.

Cancelling this generations old chant dilutes the argument of getting rid of the generally bigoted/racist/homophobic stuff.

I dunno, theres something really impersonal about the 'sign on' chant for me. It's more about ruining that song than hating on an entire fanbase. 

Exactly. 

Yeah, it's a bit of a lazy stereotype about Liverpool fans from Liverpool, but I'd be staggered if most are genuinely offended by it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

If so, 'Bread' was just as offensive, maybe more.

Well yes - a sitcom based entirely on the notion that all scousers are benefit swindling law breaking dodgy cheeky scoundrels

However - written by a professional scouser, so does that make it OK ..playing up to a stereotype? 

When people talk about offensive sitcoms of the past , I've never heard this one mentioned before. 

With regards to the chant, it's pretty old school..almost nostalgic.  Not far off us calling Nottingham Forest fans ' scabs' maybe, in so much as is it's historical and bears no relation to current times? 

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have always felt calling us Dee Dahs was offensive by them Dingle Bast@rds myself.

I don't even know any Sheffield people that say Dee and Dah either, and I was dragged up on Shiregreen. 

• Like 4

On 10/05/2022 at 22:53, Bannofan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/09/tottenham-fans-trust-disappointed-with-sign-on-chants-at-anfield-liverpool?    

Poverty and joblessness no longer fair game, says the fans group.

What do we think? 

I remember this song from the 80s..

If it’s the one to the “never walk alone” tune

bit if banter surely..the scousers have been portrayed in the arts and media as scallywags for the past 40 years 

How about..

He’s only a poor little cockney (or scouser)

his clothes are all tattered and torn

he’s makes me feel sick 

so I hit em with a brick

And now he doesn’t sing anymore 

inciting violence?