Can anyone honestly say

27 minutes ago, Onge said:

Some of the decision making of our players is really poor. We do lack some players with good footballing brains. I never felt like we were good enough to go up this season - sadly I was right.

Hopefully with some shrewd signings we can realistically target the autos next season...

I think without the depletion of the defence for a chunk of the first half of the season, we would have been promoted.

35 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Palmer… say no more. Never ever tracks his man. Was like we were happy to go to ET as well!

Palmer should have left the club years ago. How he still gets a game I'll never understand. The length of time he's been at the club suggests he's a legend when in reality he's the most average player in our history 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

Palmer should have left the club years ago. How he still gets a game I'll never understand. The length of time he's been at the club suggests he's a legend when in reality he's the most average player in our history 

He has had a good season and was our best player on Friday. He wasn’t the main fault for their goal. NML was.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No we didn’t turn up at all. Occasion got to us. And we spent the entire game panicking looping headers into the air and wafting a leg rather than getting the ball down and trying to play. 

Even when we went 1-0 up we showed no composure to go get the 2nd.

Sunderland were the better side over two legs. Roberts and Clarke tore us apart. Organised and kept their heads. Probably reflection of an experienced manager who has been in that situation before.

Can’t say they didn’t try. The play offs are cruel and we did well this season. Sadly it does define your season though. Again, I’m gutted for the likes of Bannan who was the architect of our goal and doesn’t deserve to be playing in this team. 

Good post!👍 I have to say I thoroughly agree with your comments.

On the evidence of the two legs, Sunderland deserved to go through & fair play to them.

I thought that they had better loan players than us, in Clarke and Roberts.  We never really dealt with either of them, throughout. We looked very tired and "leggy" tonight & in the end, I think over the course of a long season, endless injuries cost us dear.

Absolutely gutted, as we all are & I  do agree with your post in that it was very harsh on Bazza, who has given absolutely everything to our cause, all season.

But I will ALWAYS love this club, even though it's hard right now.......😢

When the dust has settled, we will regroup and rebuild & go for the automatic places next season.

UTO!

7 hours ago, sexpistol said:

He has had a good season and was our best player on Friday. He wasn’t the main fault for their goal. NML was.

Not sure I'd agree he was our best player on Friday but then again I don't think anyone played well on Friday 

7 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

If you got your way and Palmer went, who would be next as the one that's not good enough?

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, markg said:

I don’t think we set up ton play for a draw in the first keg. I think we’d have been happy to come away with one but didn’t necessarily go out for one.

Eh. 

Did we set up to lose then? Cos we sure as poo didn't go there to play 

(for what it's worth, I think going and trying to play open at their place would have been a mistake)

• Thanks 1

I personally felt they were just a touch quicker, sharper and fitter and they deserved to go through over the 2 legs. Plus, I had my concerns about Alex Neil and doesn’t he know how to set his teams up against us. We just couldn’t get any rhythm going and both games were frantic. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr. Chow said:

Nope, out footballed over two legs. I just don’t know why we set up any different to any other game this season. Why didnt we have a go?

it’s like we prepped again playing against a prem team in the fa cup, why were we so scared to play our usual game? 

Blame our dope of a manager for that 

F*cking shocking he put the chains on

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

If you got your way and Palmer went, who would be next as the one that's not good enough?

Your question assumes that I'll always identify a scapegoat which isn't the case. when a players not good enough he's not good enough. No amount of sentiment because he's a Wednesday lad will change that. 

Just now, Ballmeist said:

Your question assumes that I'll always identify a scapegoat which isn't the case. when a players not good enough he's not good enough. No amount of sentiment because he's a Wednesday lad will change that. 

Yeah fair point 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Once again our big time players fail turn up on the big occasion . It might have been practical to have introduced the players to each other before the game as they looked as though they had never played together. Too many players isolated, no outlet down the wings, wing backs not getting up and down and a lacklustre midfield that had no legs. I couldn't understand what the tactics were supposed to be and more worryingly it seemed neither did the players. Danny Batth wont have an easier game than last night winning every header with our only tactic to lump it up to Gregory and Windass who were outmuscled. No support from the midfield to win second balls and that will be where we have to strengthen drastically if we have any chance of challenging next season..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Eh. 

Did we set up to lose then? Cos we sure as poo didn't go there to play 

(for what it's worth, I think going and trying to play open at their place would have been a mistake)

I think that they just penned us in and we couldn’t worn out what to do about it. I don’t think we intentionally bypassed our midfield and left the strikers isolated 

12 hours ago, Luke said:

We deserved to go through from them two legs? 

That first leg playing for a draw bit us on the ar53 again 

Huddersfield 2.0

Nah the right team qualified. I think 2-1 to them over the 2 legs was just about right.

I think Sunderland will be promoted. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hirstyslaces said:

On the evidence of the two legs, Sunderland deserved to go through & fair play to them.

I thought that they had better loan players than us, in Clarke and Roberts.  We never really dealt with either of them, throughout. We looked very tired and "leggy" tonight & in the end, I think over the course of a long season, endless injuries cost us dear.

Absolutely gutted, as we all are & I  do agree with your post in that it was very harsh on Bazza, who has given absolutely everything to our cause, all season.

When the dust has settled, we will regroup and rebuild & go for the automatic places next season.

UTO!

Jack Clarke is on loan from Spurs, but Patrick Roberts is actually on a six month contract with Sunderland.

My bad!😳

However, I have to that I was very impressed with their performances over the two legs.

Pace, power and skill in abundance.

I remember Roberts excelling at Fulham, but he seemed to go off the radar a little bit after that.

It will be interesting to see how Wycombe deal with them both in the final, if I can bring myself to watch it.....

Won't be pretty, IMO.

12 hours ago, Hirstyslaces said:

UTO!

The sad thing was, Sunderland after we scored looked absolutely flat and knackered more so than us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Think we just ran out of steam. Can’t knock the players all season. Sometimes you’ve just got to accept the other team is better - Sunderland were far better and were more up with it

both teams/

Whether DM is the man is another discussion.

Sunderland we’re not ‘far better’ at all. I also don’t think you can say they were more up for it. They have gone through thanks to two gift goals.

Yes over the 2 legs they were the better team but not by loads.

• Like 1