Referees

Sorry, I know I will get pelters, but I just can't get over the poor level of refs in this league.

I just don't understand, how they get away with it

In general I can cope with a poor ref, who makes the wrong decisions in both directions. That's crap, but at least it's fair.

What happened yesterday and a few times before was that the ref was NOT IMPARTIAL.

Something like that should never happen!! Why does it happen to us all the time?

The bad thing in football is that the ref can make and break a game or season. He might have cost us promotion yesterday.

(Genuine question: Are refs allowed to place football bets?)

• Like 8
  • Love 1

No, refs aren't allowed to place bets!

:duntmatter:

It's frustrating, as we've been on the end of a fair few awful decisions this season, but I'm certain it's just a mixture of incompetence and human psychology rather than anything more sinister.

We're seen as a 'big' club at this level, and our supporters, both at Hillsborough and at away grounds, tend to be the louder of the two sets of fans once we get going.

Whilst you might think this should work in our favour, I reckon some refs subconsciously feel the need to prove that they're not being influenced by the crowd and end up overcompensating and treating us harshly as a result.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Who here can name five incidents from the last five years in which refs have given ridiculous decisions in our favor?

Is that because we don't get them or because we soon forget them? I suspect it's the latter, easy to shrug off a decision and say "we got lucky there" whereas the bad decisions can stay at or near the front of our thinking for decades... I can remember Lee Chapman's header v QPR that was miles over the line in '87... Couldn't tell you of any decent decisions in our favour that year, but there were probably a good few.

Edited by Binky Griptite
  • Like 3

It’s kind of the price you pay for being stupid enough to end up in this league 

people moan about VAR but so often I’m left super grateful that the correct decision is given with the technology

the referees in this league are here because they can’t be trusted with potentially 100 million pounds championship promotion decisions

we need to gtfo this league but we may be here for seven seasons or so with some like chansiri in charge, who bought us to spend a bit and go to the premier league

• Like 1

I agree with the last 2 posts.

When it goes in our favour we laugh at it, and then forget.

As for the goal yesterday,  or nogoal. The player had his arms all over dunkley, but just before the dunkley touched the ball he did seem to be pulling him and wrestling him more than the defender

I was angry and annoyed by it as I wanted the goal, but I do sometimes judge it in how much the goalscorer reacts to the ref. I could be wrong, but it was berahino the main protester

• Like 1

I don't think there's a vendetta against Sheffield Wednesday as far as refs go. I k ow a bloke who swears blind there is because of Hillsborough but that argument doesn't stack up at all. 

However, I do believe that under VAR we would do better. I k ow people are saying that we forget the ones that go for us and I can see that to a point, but nobody is actually listing all the stuff we've 'forgot'. We don't forget other good stuff such as goals and wins and funny comments by fans and players doing good stuff for charity etc. So why can't anyone remember all the times the refs have acted in our favour as blatantly as he acted against us yesterday? 

Is it cos it doesn't actually even itself out over the season? Or at all? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ANDY said:

No matter how many times I’ve watched the disallowed goal I just can’t grasp the decision that was made. It’s either a goal or a penalty 

The only way I can see it not being given is if the ref missed the incident and only started looking at it at the very last moment, as Dunkley and their defender wrestled with each other.

But surely the assistant referee was watching?

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The only way I can see it not being given is if the ref missed the incident and only started looking at it at the very last moment, as Dunkley and their defender wrestled with each other.

someone said the ref initially signalled a goal but the assistant saw a “foul”.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Their defender never looks at the ball once. Dunkley is only watching the ball. It’s a nailed on, definition of a penalty. Given that he somehow managed to score, the goal stands. An awful decision.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Didn't think the ref was overtly poor TBH, I've seen worse. 

Let the game flow, many challenges which would have been blown for by other refs. 

However, the goal was a poor decision, a crucial one and think the penalty shout was reasonable. 

That aside, frustrated that Dunkley was booked early doors for his first real challenge, yet at least two of their players have several fouls, I thought worthy of a booking, before eventually being carded. 

Big decisions I disagreed with, but that's football. It happens to all teams.

• Thanks 1

This ref has been in my "little book" of infamy ever since the 17/04/2017 away at QPR . The reason was that he saw Clint Hill sythe down Sougue who would have been clean through on goal and didn`t even give a foul . Sougue went off to Hospital whilst  the ref proceeded to give no penalty when Joau  was about to shoot in the area and found he only had one leg to stand on .

The real choker for me though is to find out later that he lived in Battersea, he could have got to the match by bus or tube. In those days it was , I believe, the rule that you couldn`t referee in the same FA area as the one you lived in . Now its governed by who they supported. 

He did nowt yesterday to improve my opinion of him 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, striker said:

Didn't think the ref was overtly poor TBH, I've seen worse. 

Let the game flow, many challenges which would have been blown for by other refs. 

However, the goal was a poor decision, a crucial one and think the penalty shout was reasonable. 

That aside, frustrated that Dunkley was booked early doors for his first real challenge, yet at least two of their players have several fouls, I thought worthy of a booking, before eventually being carded. 

Big decisions I disagreed with, but that's football. It happens to all teams.

Agree the ref generally was good and let game flow, also added plenty of time in at the end due to their time wasting.

But the two BIG calls he had to make he got wrong.  See it all the time standard in of referees is worst it's been in my lifetime. 

• Like 2