Players who just keep playing.

Was at a game recently where Chris Lines trotted off the bench for Stevenage, not the most mobile nowadays!

I will never forget the low of the last day of the season in the terrible Irvine/ Megson Lg 1 season, when we were getting spanked by exeter city at home to such an extent the long retired manager of exeter came on as a sub for the last 10 mins.  

• Like 3

I think we will see loads of 40 + year old players in the not too distant future.

They way they look after themselves now, the top pro's are just completely dedicated now.

If you look at Zlatan and Ronaldo,  40 & 37 and will still be in demand after this season ends. 

I think the likes of Wayne Rooney , finished as a player before his mid 30's due to not being able to hack it anymore, will be a thing of the past.

Having said that, at the opposite end of the scale,  you have players like Andre Schurrle who has quit at 31, because they can and have achieved everything they want..that may also start happening more often. 

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

I think we will see loads of 40 + year old players in the not too distant future.

They way they look after themselves now, the top pro's are just completely dedicated now.

If you look at Zlatan and Ronaldo,  40 & 37 and will still be in demand after this season ends. 

I think the likes of Wayne Rooney , finished as a player before his mid 30's due to not being able to hack it anymore, will be a thing of the past.

Having said that, at the opposite end of the scale,  you have players like Andre Schurrle who has quit at 31, because they can and have achieved everything they want..that may also start happening more often. 

His career took a big nosedive, probably just did not enjoy the game which happens.

A fair few pros have come out in the past and said they no longer enjoy it, once that happens it's hard to get the motivation to train and stay fit.

Plus, you probably already have a nice nest egg - Invest in that wisely and you don't need to keep playing.

I always remember Assou-Ekotto who played for Spurs. He openly said, whilst still playing for Spurs that he does not like football, he's just good at it and earns good money.

Remember him saying he had hardly any, if any "friends" in football. Turns up for training, plays and goes home. Doesn't even watch it or look at results etc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skyline said:

His career took a big nosedive, probably just did not enjoy the game which happens.

A fair few pros have come out in the past and said they no longer enjoy it, once that happens it's hard to get the motivation to train and stay fit.

Plus, you probably already have a nice nest egg - Invest in that wisely and you don't need to keep playing.

I always remember Assou-Ekotto who played for Spurs. He openly said, whilst still playing for Spurs that he does not like football, he's just good at it and earns good money.

Remember him saying he had hardly any, if any "friends" in football. Turns up for training, plays and goes home. Doesn't even watch it or look at results etc.

I think Steven Pienaar formerly of Everton was the same 

My brother's old work place did some sponsorship stuff with Chesterfield a few years and he got to play a round of golf with some players. He was paired with a defender (I forget who) and this bloke told him he hated football, it was just a job and he was more interest in property development. 

10 hours ago, beswetherick said:

David Batty as well

Think after missing his penalty in the World Cup , he said he'd got over it by the time he left the pitch. Just a job to him.

One from us was Des Walker,  just no interest in the game outside training and playing for his club. Chris Waddle would watch 2 toddlers kicking a balloon, Walker never watched a game he wasn't involved in. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 16:25, Skyline said:

Similar to Ben White at Arsenal.