Floodlights

8 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Generally a 1000w led would replace a 2000w halide and get the same light output. So half the power usage.

But the cost of led fittings is far more expensive...far more.

The club would never 'save' money or get a roi by switching to Led.

Given the previous lighting was good for over 20yrs I can understand the club looking to repair or replace with the same.

That's what I would be looking to do at this present time.

We could be in this league next season and no money for players cos Chansiry had splashed £3m on all singing and dancing led's. Bet that would go down well.

Or Chansiri could write a strongly worded letter to the landlord for not maintaining the stadium properly.🤔

Pretty much what I was getting at. Making do and mending what we've  got is sensible. They are currently adequate for purpose. There will come a time though when total replacement will be required either by being unable to source halide replacements or by league rules.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, owls maniac said:

This.

Does my head in when fans seemingly are prepared to make excuses for third rate infrastructure for fear of bad mouthing the chairman. 

Conversely for some, not all admittedly, it sometimes apoears that criticism of the owner is more important than the issue being raised.

• Like 3

my gas has gone from 2 a unit last may to 3 from last may then in oct they went bust so put with someone else at 4 a unit and now going upto 6 a unit in april 300% increase , yes i was on a good deal but my gas goes up 3x . luckily have a very efficient boiler and know where the off switch is at night . its leci in our house whats the bill killer.

Floodlight repairs, ignitor and ballast maintainence...Strange as Westy mentioned they are foooked and parts are not available from the clubs only wholeseller.

Also to help out with seat repairs...

Kin..ell

Good luck with finding someone.

I'll put my 10pence worth in . If these lights were in a factory and on 12 to 18 hours a day it would be a no brainer to replace them with LED's because the electricity savings and ongoing maintenance costs would easily justify it . 
However the lights in the ground ( i stand to be corrected ) are only on a couple of times a week . Hence it makes a lot more sense cost wise to repair the existing Metal Halide fittings . Any reputable electrician would have no issue repairing them . As already said , its either the bulb , the igniter , or occasionally the ballast that fails . 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Vernster said:

I'll put my 10pence worth in . If these lights were in a factory and on 12 to 18 hours a day it would be a no brainer to replace them with LED's because the electricity savings and ongoing maintenance costs would easily justify it . 
However the lights in the ground ( i stand to be corrected ) are only on a couple of times a week . Hence it makes a lot more sense cost wise to repair the existing Metal Halide fittings . Any reputable electrician would have no issue repairing them . As already said , its either the bulb , the igniter , or occasionally the ballast that fails . 

We tried to go down that route apparently but it appears we need completely new head units whether we go for LED or stick with Metal Halide.

13 minutes ago, mogbad said:

We tried to go down that route apparently but it appears we need completely new head units whether we go for LED or stick with Metal Halide.

If you go LED try not to get chinese..otherwise you will need a man on the roof changing bulbs during matches.🙂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, morganowl said:

my gas has gone from 2 a unit last may to 3 from last may then in oct they went bust so put with someone else at 4 a unit and now going upto 6 a unit in april 300% increase , yes i was on a good deal but my gas goes up 3x . luckily have a very efficient boiler and know where the off switch is at night . its leci in our house whats the bill killer.

Everyone will be stung with this sadly mate 

April is gonna be painful for everyone 

Owlstalk Shop

27 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

If you go LED try not to get chinese..otherwise you will need a man on the roof changing bulbs during matches.🙂

Yep been there, I bought an LED floodlight for the backyard from Amazon which turned out to be Chinese made. It lasted about 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, mogbad said:

I suppose on reflection the lights have been exposed to the elements for many years so they're also going to be suffering corrosion and no longer weather tight . So yes , i get it the actual fitting head might need replacing on a lot of them too 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vernster said:

I suppose on reflection the lights have been exposed to the elements for many years so they're also going to be suffering corrosion and no longer weather tight . So yes , i get it the actual fitting head might need replacing on a lot of them too 

Over 25 years old, I presume they were renewed for Euro 96. 

As an indication of how lighting requirements have changed the New Wembley was opened in 2007 but the floodlights had to be renewed for Euro 20/21 because they didn't come up to UEFA current standards.