Floodlights

13 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

They have to be maintained to provide the minimum lux standards throughout the season though. I would be very surprised if they meet the minimum standard right now.

I suspect you are correct.

39 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Thanks.

I'm not sure why they cannot be fixed..retro fixed if need be. Unless the enclosures are falling to bits?

Parts are available

https://www.bltdirect.com/vossloh-schwabe-electronic-superimposed-ignitor-2000-watt-metal-halide

I've changed loads...though not on a football stadium

The problem is the club only use one wholesaler and the price quoted for the parts was through the roof also the lead time to get the parts was at least three months 

I did get in contact with thorn ( company who made the original fittings regarding retro fitting and they wanted nothing to do with the parts 

The club has been quoted vast amounts for a new system to be put in as I would start to worry about the aging panel and contactors aswell

The current system in place is antiquated and doesn't allow for any flexibility regarding what lights you can have on at any time its just two banks of contactors and its an all or nothing sort of thing I tried to talk club into having the stands separated at least so that you can just have a stand at a time on or have a block on but it would mean a job of changing how the cabling is run at extra cost

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ANDY said:

at what percentage does it become unfit/unsafe to play ? 

im guessing we will need to get them replaced at some point. 

do you know the cost of replacing the whole lot with LED’s

The final decision is down to the referee on the day 

Soon is the answer 

And I know what club was quoted 

There’s only one more night game at home in a fortnight so should manage to get through to the summer. But sounds like it needs a major overhaul/investment in the summer. 

@westy365owl can the fittings be accessed without a cherry picker for maintenance? Particularly the Kop & Leppings Lane stands. 

24 minutes ago, westy365owl said:
1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

The problem is the club only use one wholesaler and the price quoted for the parts was through the roof also the lead time to get the parts was at least three months 

The dash for led is making it difficult and expensive to source older parts.

Thorn and others are not interested unless buying brand new...and having their lighting engineers call...in my experience anyhow.

There is an Italian company supplying 2000w complete fittings (halide)

DC ought to get some in, if just for emergency...don't want to watch the play off semi in the dark.

If the club are thinking of going the addressable system and starting from scratch.

My guess at the cost would be 1 x FF or a 33% of a Jordan Rhodes.

🤔

52 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

The final decision is down to the referee on the day 

Soon is the answer 

And I know what club was quoted 

so

hypothetically

if the club (chairman) opted to completely replace the whole lighting system. How long would it take for them to have recouped the investment in money saved on operating costs. 

57 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

There’s only one more night game at home in a fortnight so should manage to get through to the summer. But sounds like it needs a major overhaul/investment in the summer. 

@westy365owl can the fittings be accessed without a cherry picker for maintenance? Particularly the Kop & Leppings Lane stands. 

Kop 

11 minutes ago, ANDY said:

so

hypothetically

if the club (chairman) opted to completely replace the whole lighting system. How long would it take for them to have recouped the investment in money saved on operating costs. 

A fair amount of time 

Edited by westy365owl

Just now, ANDY said:

yeah

but it’d mean we could do the flashy light show before kick off 

Thats the only reason he wants the dali system installed I tried to argue that it would be more useful being able to drop the power settings to keep to set lux levels

7 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Get down to Screwfix and buy a load of these LED ones at £19 a pop.

I've got one for my back garden and it lights the lawn up brilliantly, it's like daylight. lol

image.png.0cf1bee1f22d9524b2ea4b83efd74c65.png

They have been fitted on south stand concorse 

11 hours ago, marshy said:

It is dark, especially in the goal mouth. I noticed that shadows were being cast in the goal mouths. Now I'm not using it as an excuse but, their goal at the kop end "could" have been in part due to the fact that for every player in and around the six yard area there was also a shadow cast. Yes it took a deflection but regardless it should be so much lighter.

Isn’t the point of floodlights that shadows are cast…….in fact the better the lights the more shadows.

You seem to be arguing with yourself here

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Isn’t the point of floodlights that shadows are cast…….in fact the better the lights the more shadows.

You seem to be arguing with yourself here

No if you have lots of even soft lighting fully down all 4 sides of the pitch. Even lighting with no shadows is what you want.

Watching the Luton v Chelsea game now, the lighting is awful, patchy with lots of shadows. It's like there's 40 players on the pitch. Mind you there ground is a dump.