Oppo's View: Oxford United

This week we were joined by Simon from The Fence End Podcast to get an insight into Oxford United and how there season has gone since we last played them back in October ahead of our visit to The Kassam this weekend, in what is a new ground for us, and as Simon points out one that they're looking to move away from. 

We talked about players to watch, their recent dip in form and any injury concerns that they may have. 

...and perhaps the most important question of all, where's best to go for a pint if you're heading to the match? 

Spoiler alert: Don't go for a pint near the ground. Mainly because there's nothing there! 

>>>> CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE EPISODE.  <<<<

Are you optimistic ahead of this weekend? Do you think we can get a result in what is being billed as a '6-pointer'? 

I think it's fair to say that I'm more optimistic now than I was two weeks ago!!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Both team's form has been fairly similar since we last played them. They've played a game more and won a game more. And yes it is definitely a 6 pointer.  

Owls     P 10  W 4  D 3  L 3 Pts 15

Them    P 11  W 5  D3  L 3  Pts 18

Forget that I got it totally wrong and can't edit it (why can't you edit a post, grrrrrr!)

Record since we played them.

Owls   P15 W6 D7 L2  Pts 25

Them P15 W7 D4 L4   Pts 25

• Haha 2

I recall us playing them at Manor Ground in the FA Cup in the 80s under Wilko. They were a league below but doing well and fancied to create an upset.

We beat them good and proper though and really spoiled the day for the cup romantics.

But that was nearly 40 years ago. I'd take a draw this weekend. And to some that might be an upset.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I recall us playing them at Manor Ground in the FA Cup in the 80s under Wilko. They were a league below but doing well and fancied to create an upset.

We beat them good and proper though and really spoiled the day for the cup romantics.

But that was nearly 40 years ago. I'd take a draw this weekend. And to some that might be an upset.

It was a packed away end that day, wasn't it 3 0?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I remember that game, I went with my mate Pete

Robert Maxwell their chairman at the time, doubled the entrance fee for Wednesdayites

We won 3-0 with goals from Varadi and Bannister (one of them got 2 but I forget which)

• Like 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Manor Ground was a really horrible  place to go to watch football, especially for the away supporters.Not one of my Favourite Grounds tbh.🙄

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Robert Maxwell their chairman at the time, doubled the entrance fee for Wednesdayites

We won 3-0 with goals from Varadi and Bannister (one of them got 2 but I forget which)

they had knocked Ron Atkinsons Man Utd out in the previous round, Wednesday gave them a footballing lesson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Forget that I got it totally wrong and can't edit it (why can't you edit a post, grrrrrr!)

Record since we played them.

Owls   P15 W6 D7 L2  Pts 25

Them P15 W7 D4 L4   Pts 25

Its all Neil’s fault! Neil and his subscription service so you can edit posts. Damn you Neil!! Damn you and your stupidly expensive servers!!

lol 

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

It was Bannister:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I was working just up the road from the Manor back then and I went with a mate from work who was an Oxford fan in the home end.

It was difficult to enjoy.

Until back at work

Edited by OxonOwl

The Manor Ground was erm, interesting. Basically a collection of bicycle sheds & an open away end with floodlights. I liked it though 😃

Remember going there for a midweek match when they were on their way out of Div One and there seemed to be more Owls fans than home fans there.

We won 3-0. Chapman with a couple and Mel Sterland with a proverbial thunderbarstool. Still got the program somewhere.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2022 at 19:00, Pablo Bonvin said:

I think you're right. Them were the days, when we could really steamroller teams if we wanted to.

Those few years under Wiko were the best times for me, probably due to around leaving school and having money to go away with my mates.

Somehow getting in the grounds was easier, none ot this priority points. Always a buzz going away, used to get a little hairy at some places...not Oxford though! 

The best of times, not sure where 40 years have gone...

Never thought the club would be in a worse position, so many wasted opportunities and poor management. Oh well...we go again!

• Like 1