Four years ago to the day since Carlos….

23 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We left too much to chance, by my reckoning.

We had the beating of Huddersfield but were happy to play out a 0-0 draw at theirs when they had to field a 22-year-old 'keeper who'd only played 5 Championship games up to that point.

Then in the second leg, rather than pushing on after taking the lead, we seemed content to protect what we had, which opened the door for Huddersfield to get back into the game.

If we'd really gone for them, we should have been out of sight by the time Fletcher got injured.

You make it sound easy. 

What was to stop the players 'pushing on'?  Haven't they got a brain between them?

I don't know why we didn't test their keeper more in the first leg.  We should have.  Don't need a manager to tell them that.  Can't imagine CC telling the team he didn't want them to attack.

Anyway, I expected us to get relegated once he'd left.  I'm surprised it took 4 years.  Like it or not, we're just another 2nd tier/3rd tier yo-yo team.  

Since 1970 we've managed just 15 years in the top flight out of 51 seasons.  Finishing 6th and 4th in the 2nd tier is the best we've achieved this century.   I think the next best was 9th under Laws. 

It's a shocking record.  

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Yes Bruce was a very successful appointment 

I think the writing was on the wall when he preferred to carry on watching cricket to managing us.  Quite apart from regularly calling us 'Sheffield'.

Yes, he might have built us a good side, but he decided to booger off when a bigger club came knocking..... as did Catterick Wilkinson and Atkinson before him.  Seems to be a Wednesday thing.

However, back to Carlos........

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
5 hours ago, The coach said:

I would say away to huddersfield..

The away leg was horrific.. they had a rookie keeper in goal and we just sat with 2 banks of 4 and nullified the game, basically happy to 0-0 and make it a one leg tie at Hillsborough.

Problem with that was that if you’re the better side 2 legs favour you, 1 leg anything can happen. So didn’t kill the game, took Fletcher off and ended up drawing.

If we’d attacked both games we’d have got through as we beat them home and away in the league 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

He murdered us from the Huddersfield Play off game to the Pigs at home. He was decent before that.

People were already moaning around the time we were outside the top 6 in March.. we only made play offs after winning 6 in a row and Leeds imploding, we finished 4th but we looked like 7th was likely with 7 games to go 

36 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

You make it sound easy. 

What was to stop the players 'pushing on'?  Haven't they got a brain between them?

I don't know why we didn't test their keeper more in the first leg.  We should have.  Don't need a manager to tell them that.  Can't imagine CC telling the team he didn't want them to attack.

Anyway, I expected us to get relegated once he'd left.  I'm surprised it took 4 years.  Like it or not, we're just another 2nd tier/3rd tier yo-yo team.  

Since 1970 we've managed just 15 years in the top flight out of 51 seasons.  Finishing 6th and 4th in the 2nd tier is the best we've achieved this century.   I think the next best was 9th under Laws. 

It's a shocking record.  

The way we set up for those games was dictated by the manager at the time.

You can't expect an individual player to start going gung-ho when the obvious gameplan was to keep things tight and look to nick a goal - they'd be subbed off and bombed out of the squad before they knew it.

Carvalhal was delighted with the 0-0, in which we mustered zero shots on target: and had 31% possession:

"It is a positive result. If you go away in the play-off semi-final and you return to play the home game at 0-0, it is very, very positive."

At the time, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought bringing them back to Hillsborough with the scores level was a sensible approach, as I assumed we'd really go for them in the second leg.

Alas, we managed only three shots on target in the 120 minutes of the second leg...meaning we ended 210 minutes of football against Huddersfield Town with a grand total of three shots on target.

😳

• Like 2

Carlos was is typical of that explosion of recruitment from chansiri 

it was pretty remarkable and changed our club 

quality signed playing expansive football 

unfortunately it ended there the recruitment team broke up signings become worst 

injuries mounted the football was a long way off what we was served in season one 

abs the decline again had started the decisions, football, and signings since Carlos departure has seen us fast track to league one and sit with financial restrains meaning we can only sign free transfers or loans for the second transfer window in a row 

whilst it was the right decision to part company at the time and his successor nothing short that disastrous. The Carlos period is the most exiting times and the football the most enjoyable since our days of watching waddle and in 1993 nearly 30 years ago.

I can believe we got everything nearly perfect in that first season to to completely explode and end up back here 

16 hours ago, fpowl said:

Carlos was is typical of that explosion of recruitment from chansiri 

it was pretty remarkable and changed our club 

quality signed playing expansive football 

unfortunately it ended there the recruitment team broke up signings become worst 

injuries mounted the football was a long way off what we was served in season one 

abs the decline again had started the decisions, football, and signings since Carlos departure has seen us fast track to league one and sit with financial restrains meaning we can only sign free transfers or loans for the second transfer window in a row 

whilst it was the right decision to part company at the time and his successor nothing short that disastrous. The Carlos period is the most exiting times and the football the most enjoyable since our days of watching waddle and in 1993 nearly 30 years ago.

I can believe we got everything nearly perfect in that first season to to completely explode and end up back here 

A ONE season wonder, that c0st us million's.

• Like 2

On 24/12/2021 at 16:38, LondonOwl313 said:

People were already moaning around the time we were outside the top 6 in March.. we only made play offs after winning 6 in a row and Leeds imploding, we finished 4th but we looked like 7th was likely with 7 games to go 

Wednesdayites are always moaning. Full stop.