Four years ago to the day since Carlos….

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We had great times thanks to the quality of squad we brought to the club

But

All that money squandered and wasted, and most importantly Carlos left us lower in the league than the day he arrived 

You mean the squad that he inherited from Stuart Gray.

16 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

He screwed a great attacking team with negative backwards/side to side football with the idea of a single goal win objective... So screwed our results as we lacked the players to suite his tactics, as we were better going forward than defending... In terms of the Huddersfield game we were the better team and literally screwed ourselves out of the PL by gifting it to them tactically... So after that he lost the dressing room and the rest is history... 

I’m not sure we were better going forward.

We beat our clean sheet record in both Carlos first & second season.

From memory we didn’t concede against Newcastle either that year, we took 6 points off them & they ran away with the league.

Still it’s a massive opportunity missed & I suppose as a fan it’s easier to watch your team lose while going for it rather than just trying to contain the opposites.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Eh?

Gray didn't have Bannan, Hooper, Forestieri, João, Fletcher, Wallace, Hunt, Reach, Lopez etc...

I dare say if he had, he'd have had a fair old crack at promotion, though.

I remember under Gray and Milan we had good defensive players.. during 2012-15 we had at various times Kirkland, Westwood, Gardner, Loovens, Lees, Hutchinson, Lee plus some others I’m sure I’ve forgotten

They always used to say that we struggled to sign good attacking players on our budget.. apart from having Antonio and that few months where we had Wickham and Fryatt on loan, we really struggled to have that extra quality to score a lot of goals and win games. 

When Chansiri came in the front half of the team was significantly upgraded and we kept our half decent defence so we immediately went from 13-16th to 4-6th best in the league 

The idea that we already had the players we needed to compete and that the investment wasn’t needed is wrong 

On 24/12/2021 at 14:06, HIGHERSTATE said:

I turned to my Mrs's dad during Owls in the Park the summer before (just after I had my picture taken with him) and said 'He'll be gone before Christmas.'

The backlash from the Huddersfield defeat was crazy but what came after was even worse, both on the pitch and in the stands.

Nostradamus. 

On 24/12/2021 at 13:18, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At the time, I honestly thought an away draw was a decent, if uninspiring, result.

But that was based on the assumption that we were going to really attack them at Hillsborough.

It never quite worried out like that, did it?

People are fascinated with the Huddersfield away tie, complete red herring. Although it hurts our pride when we sit back like that it was a good result, and bringing them back to Hillsborough level was a huge benefit to us, especially when you consider the big nights we had at Hillsborough under Carlos up to that point. 

I can completely understand Carlos' thoughts and why he did it. 

On the night at home to Huddersfield I though we were the better side, scored a fantastic goal but unfortunately they got a very fortunate equaliser after Pudil's mistake. We then lost on pens which can happen. Probably unlucky on the night but that's knockout football, and we got plenty of luck the previous year. 

I remember being pleased that Carlos stayed again, but in the end it was the right time for him to go. I agree with whoever said the next appointment was huge, and we got that wrong. The manager of the club needs to carry the club, Carlos relished that challenge and so did Bruce. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Eh?

Gray didn't have Bannan, Hooper, Forestieri, João, Fletcher, Wallace, Hunt, Reach, Lopez etc...

I dare say if he had, he'd have had a fair old crack at promotion, though.

No chance. I liked Gray but there's a reason he's settled for being a coach elsewhere since. 

Clubs have spent far more (in transfers and in wages) than we did under Carlos and didn't acheive the finishes he did, and entertain as much as his team did - people tend to forget that. 

23 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

That Huddersfield side was better than a few on here acknowledge. They were better than us in the league that season (after 44 games they were in 3rd, 3 points above us, we only overtook them when they rested their players for the final two games of the season when automatic promotion had become out of reach). And they stayed up in the Premier League the next season with a similar squad.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen a more attacking approach. But who's to say they wouldn't have picked us apart and beaten us 2-0 at home if we had attacked more?

Rational views are not welcome here, please exit stage right. 

12 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

No chance. I liked Gray but there's a reason he's settled for being a coach elsewhere since. 

Clubs have spent far more (in transfers and in wages) than we did under Carlos and didn't acheive the finishes he did, and entertain as much as his team did - people tend to forget that. 

What's the reason he's settled for being a coach?

I've genuinely never heard him speak on it.

We'll never know, but I thought Gray was getting a lot of of very little during his time here, and if given the kind of cash we spent under Carvalhal, could have done very well for us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What's the reason he's settled for being a coach?

I've genuinely never heard him speak on it.

We'll never know, but I thought Gray was getting a lot of of very little during his time here, and if given the kind of cash we spent under Carvalhal, could have done very well for us.

He's clearly been a coach for a while unless he's been thrown in. 

My guess is he's gone back to what he likes doing, which tells you something.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not following.

The fact he likes being a coach doesn't mean he wasn't a decent manager/head coach too, does it?

Nope, but there's no evidence to suggest he could get a team promoted. 

Completely understandable that the new owner went int a different direction.

And nothing Gray has done since has made me thing we missed a trick. 

4 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Nope, but there's no evidence to suggest he could get a team promoted. 

Completely understandable that the new owner went int a different direction.

And nothing Gray has done since has made me thing we missed a trick. 

Fair enough.

I just think pound for pound he was getting more out of our squad than Carvalhal did.

If he'd have continued in the same vein, then we'd have stood a good chance.

• Like 1