Four years ago to the day since Carlos….

I turned to my Mrs's dad during Owls in the Park the summer before (just after I had my picture taken with him) and said 'He'll be gone before Christmas.'

The backlash from the Huddersfield defeat was crazy but what came after was even worse, both on the pitch and in the stands.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

On the big occasions he poo the bed

Unfortunately, this was largely true. 

If you go through the "big" games, we only stepped up in one of them and that was the first leg against Brighton, which one of the best games I've ever watched. Even then, we had a bit of luck with three of our Brighton players going down with injury. Still - a top performance. 

Second leg against Brighton...we got utterly battered in the first half. I don't know if I've ever seen a more one sided half of football. Second half, we managed to stem the tide and comfortably saw it out. 

Play off final we never turned up bar the first twenty minutes. Hull were a better side than us on paper, but it was far too comfortable for them. 

The first leg against Huddersfield the following season is one of the most embarrassing performances I've seen from a Wednesday side. We were so pathetically negative and it was the way the manager and the player thought they'd pulled off some masterstroke by grinding out a nil nil. 

Second leg...more dull rubbish, we got the goal and sat back, got punished and the rest of history. How on earth Carlos didn't see that Pudil was getting torn a new one in that second leg I'll never know. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The first leg against Huddersfield the following season is one of the most embarrassing performances I've seen from a Wednesday side. We were so pathetically negative and it was the way the manager and the player thought they'd pulled off some masterstroke by grinding out a nil nil. 

Second leg...more dull rubbish, we got the goal and sat back, got punished and the rest of history. How on earth Carlos didn't see that Pudil was getting torn a new one in that second leg I'll never know. 

At the time, I honestly thought an away draw was a decent, if uninspiring, result.

But that was based on the assumption that we were going to really attack them at Hillsborough.

It never quite worried out like that, did it?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Django said:

The wheels had proper come off in the end and it was right that he went. Apart from Bruce, Chansiri has had an absolute mare with his managerial appointments since 

Is it any wonder? The bloke doesnt know his arse from his elbow when it comes to running a football club. You would think that somebody would have at least reached a basic level of competence after over 5 years doing the job.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At the time, I honestly thought an away draw was a decent, if uninspiring, result.

But that was based on the assumption that we were going to really attack them at Hillsborough.

It never quite worried out like that, did it?

No. 

The most infuriating thing is we were much better than bloody Huddersfield. 

Yeah, they'd had a good season, but we had comfortably done the double over them in the league and we had a proper hoodoo over them at that time. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

No. 

The most infuriating thing is we were much better than bloody Huddersfield. 

Yeah, they'd had a good season, but we had comfortably done the double over them in the league and we had a proper hoodoo over them at that time. 

That's what still grates, isn't it?

The Hull game was always likely to be beyond us if they turned up.

But that Huddersfield team were nothing special and we easily had the beating of them earlier in the season.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's what still grates, isn't it?

The Hull game was always likely to be beyond us if they turned up.

But that Huddersfield team were nothing special and we easily had the beating of them earlier in the season.

Reading in the final too. 

Now they had done the double over us (god knows how they beat us at Hillsborough mind), but we had a much better team than them. 

• Like 1

All went wrong when he stopped playing big Adthe as much and instead started spending silly money on likes of Rhodes, Winnall to replace him. our goal scoring collapsed and we relied instead on clean sheets.  Once he got the bullet Jos saw the light, recalled the big man who then kept us up virtually single-handedly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

All went wrong when he stopped playing big Adthe as much and instead started spending silly money on likes of Rhodes, Winnall to replace him. our goal scoring collapsed and we relied instead on clean sheets.  Once he got the bullet Jos saw the light, recalled the big man who then kept us up virtually single-handedly.

That's true with Adthe and the strangest decision Jos made was breaking up the Adthe and Joao partnership the following season.

6 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

totally agree and even if your pro Carlos or not (there is a split view)…he cost us the playoff semi final game at home to Huddersfield. 

How did he?   We were a goal up with half an hour to go and never looked like conceeding, until the ball ricocheted off Tom Lee's leg.  Fletcher went off due to injury.  

Sacking CC was a big mistake.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Lincs Owl said:

How did he?   We were a goal up with half an hour to go and never looked like conceeding, until the ball ricocheted off Tom Lee's leg.  Fletcher went off due to injury.  

We left too much to chance, by my reckoning.

We had the beating of Huddersfield but were happy to play out a 0-0 draw at theirs when they had to field a 22-year-old 'keeper who'd only played 5 Championship games up to that point.

Then in the second leg, rather than pushing on after taking the lead, we seemed content to protect what we had, which opened the door for Huddersfield to get back into the game.

If we'd really gone for them, we should have been out of sight by the time Fletcher got injured.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

he made 2 of the worst subs I’ve ever witnessed and tried to contain the game at 1-0 when as you rightly said, Huddersfield never looked like scoring. The game should have been dead by the time those subs where needed…the tactics in that game eventually  became his downfall  as that’s how the following season panned out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We left too much to chance, by my reckoning.

We had the beating of Huddersfield but were happy to play out a 0-0 draw at theirs when they had to field a 22-year-old 'keeper who'd only played 5 Championship games up to that point.

Then in the second leg, rather than pushing on after taking the lead, we seemed content to protect what we had, which opened the door for Huddersfield to get back into the game.

If we'd really gone for them, we should have been out of sight by the time Fletcher got injured.

if I could have been bothered I’d have typed this…spot on this 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1