Gurujuan January 2022 Transfer Window MEGATHREAD

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Sheffield Wednesday are said to still hold an interest in signing Cheltenham Town’s 6’2” centre back Will Boyle, with Football League World understanding that Huddersfield Town and Peterborough United are also keeping tabs on the situation. 

Is he the one with the massive thrown in ? 

We’ve been linked with Boyle many a time,  could do a deal there if possible within whatever nonsense the EFL or Steve Gibson have us operating under as he’s out of contract end of season 

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

He's trained and played with Preston all season.

He's not going to be lacking in fitness.

Stoke signed Jagielka and put him straight into the team the day after, which they won.

I don't think 'most' we're pleading for the same team that played against Plymouth. We got away with it against Plymouth because they offered little up front, though they still scored twice.

As soon as we come up against a decent attack, this makeshift defence with square pegs in round holes is so fragile.

I would have started either Brennan or Storey or both. I also wanted Windass to start instead of Sow. Play your best players.

Jagielka is 39 though and is immensely experienced. I doubt going straight into the starting line up would phase him (same with Batth). He's also been playing every week at Derby so is match fit.

Preston fans seem to suggest Storey can be a little short of confidence. Maybe that's why Moore didn't want to throw him in the deep end after only a couple of days training.

25 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Jagielka is 39 though and is immensely experienced. I doubt going straight into the starting line up would phase him (same with Batth). He's also been playing every week at Derby so is match fit.

Preston fans seem to suggest Storey can be a little short of confidence. Maybe that's why Moore didn't want to throw him in the deep end after only a couple of days training.

Same old Storey with this manager. Players don't need intensive brainwashing for a fortnight to be be capable of playing football. These people have been playing football for years Darren, just let them get on with it ffs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Same old Storey with this manager. Players don't need intensive brainwashing for a fortnight to be be capable of playing football. These people have been playing football for years Darren, just let them get on with it ffs.

Yeah why even bother with training eh. Players already know what they are doing so it's just a waste of time right.

In fact let's just not bother having a manager at all-  what do they even do?

1 hour ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

We are playing a 3-5-2, a formation that needs 3 central defenders.

we have Storey, Hutchinson and Brennan all centre backs all match fit.

so DM, plays Hutchinson, Palmer a full back, Johnson a left winger.

You can use whatever excuse you want for the goals, on Saturday but the simple excuse is when you have the players and don't play them, then the only person to blame for conceding soft goals is the manager, once again picking the wrong formation and the wrong personnel in the wrong positions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You can use whatever excuse you want for the goals, on Saturday but the simple excuse is when you have the players and don't play them, then the only person to blame for conceding soft goals is the manager, once again picking the wrong formation and the wrong personnel in the wrong positions.

Nail , on , head 

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Cameron Archer that we where linked with signs for PNE

Not sure much point in bringing in a striker on loan either unless someone like Gregory was injured,  think we’ve got enough cover personally 

Kamberi and Paterson to come back properly , Windass hopefully stays fit , Arsenal lad can prob play up top aswell 

Need a left back far more urgently,  to be honest if we was gonna sign Danny Batth I’m bemused as to why he hasn’t gone straight in for a Mark Beevers who will do a similar job in this league ,  but then most of what the manager does bemuses me 

49 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I fully accept the point you're making, and it's entirely valid.

However, if you play three centre halves in the system we play, although we'd undoubtedly defend crosses better (lets face it, we can't defend them any worse than we currently are), our offensive play would suffer greatly. 

Johnson has obvious flaws as a centre half, but by playing as a pseudo-wing back, we cause so many overloads that it forces opponents to become really stretched. And as a result, the threat either comes from the left flank, or the central midfielders often find themselves in space, or the switch out to Hunt is frequently an option. And you can switch that scenario around for Palmer on the right hand side, although he's much less effective and offensive minded than Johnson.

Before the COVID break, we had begun to look like a really balanced side, where we had begun to look quite comfortable defensively, whilst also looking more and more fluid going forward. But that was whilst Dunkley was in Colossal Mode, and heading anything that came his way. Hutchinson simply isn't that player, and as a result, since Dunkley's absence, we've looked vulnerable aerially. 

I sincerely hope Moore doesn't panic and fill the back line with three centre halves, because we'll undoubtedly become a pretty stodgy, predictable outfit going forward. I was an advocate of moving to a back three prior to Moore eventually doing so, but I think now is the time to revert back to the 4-3-3 that Moore initially wanted to play. Leave Hunt and Johnson as wing backs, and play two centre halves (presumably Hutchinson and Storey, although Brennan is an option), and get Windass and Mendez Laing playing as inside forwards close to Gregory. That way, we'll get more height into the defence, but still allow ourselves the ability to overload those wide areas and move the opposition about. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Not sure much point in bringing in a striker on loan either unless someone like Gregory was injured,  think we’ve got enough cover personally 

Kamberi and Paterson to come back properly , Windass hopefully stays fit , Arsenal lad can prob play up top aswell 

Need a left back far more urgently,  to be honest if we was gonna sign Danny Batth I’m bemused as to why he hasn’t gone straight in for a Mark Beevers who will do a similar job in this league ,  but then most of what the manager does bemuses me 

yes we definitely need a very similar player to Batth. Is Beevers that man?. Is he a leader, player that will put his head or everything? I can’t remember exactly what type of player he was.  

I know it is hard to say not having a crystal ball and knowing what future holds for our club, what league we will be in, etc... But still I would be interested to hear how many of our current players people would want to see in our squad 5 years from now ?

Guess it can't be many, showing how poorly we spent serious money and how badly our squad building and planning for future is.

After all the talk about developing young players We did very little to build basis for a squad that could do well in next few seasons.

3 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Storey is 24 not a kid and has played 80 + games in the Championship over the last 3 seasons, including 20 this season.

Why should starting a game in a League 1 'phase' him?

If Moore also believes he's short of confidence, why's he signed him

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, malek said:

I know it is hard to say not having a crystal ball and knowing what future holds for our club, what league we will be in, etc... But still I would be interested to hear how many of our current players people would want to see in our squad 5 years from now ?

Guess it can't be many, showing how poorly we spent serious money and how badly our squad building and planning for future is.

After all the talk about developing young players We did very little to build basis for a squad that could do well in next few seasons.

do you know much about John-Jules? Think he would be a good signing?