Berahino

The concern with Berahino is how many chances does Moore give him before it can have a negative effect on the morale of the squad? As things stand he is seemingly getting more chances than say Sow is. Why was he bought on instead of say Kamberi who has had a much better season then him. So you run the risk of upsetting the morale of certain players. 

Berahino career suggests that he is on a very steady decline. He was given the chance to really show he still has something but I don't think it is unfair to suggest he looks like he is going through the motions.

Just his passing for example is sloppy and he gives the ball away countless times, these are things you would thing he would be able to sharpen up even if he is low on confidence. He also does not seem to have the attributes to contribute at all. Lack of pace and lack of strength.

Hopefully Moore will look to move Sow and Berahino on and replace with a striker who has some attributes we don't have for when we might want to use plan B in a game. 

• Like 6

On 12/12/2021 at 11:44, prowl said:

I really wanted this guy to do well. He had loads of ability and had lost his way, if we got him back to half what he could be he would tear this league apart and we could sell him for big money. Even if it was 50-1 against it was worth a try. Moore thought he might have the key to unlocking this guys potential so why not.

The gamble hasn't come off so far and doesn't look likely to do so. Fair enough, move on, move him on and keep going. Mendez Laing needs game time, bring him on next time and let's see what he can do.   

Very much agree with you, I also wanted him to do well as he’s still got a few good years of playing time left in him. I wasn’t expecting an instant impact but after a run of games I could of seen him doing the business for us.

Unfortunately the gamble doesn’t seem to have paid off and unless something changes in the very near future I think we should look at moving him on.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 04:12, reggae said:

What utter utter drivel. Why post stuff like this?

I don't understand the logic of just making balls up for attention 

I had a quick look and the website attached does indeed show Berahino on £7600 per week. 

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/sheffield-wednesday/

It does also show Corbeanu as being on £600 per week so not sure how accurate it is or where it gets its data. If it is correct then clearly it’s way to much for Berahino’s services. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

The problem with berahino is berahino himself.

Hes probably already earned enough to retire to burundi as a  millionaire.

Hes just screwing a bit more out of whichever club is gullible enough to keep paying him.

He isnt interested in saving his careeer

Although he will be far from "skint" and it won't take much to live the rich and famous lifestyle back in Burundi - One thing I can imagine, is that an individual like Berahino has already wasted a good chunk of his fortune over the years. 

His career is dead in the water so as you say, it's time to just leech as much as possible whilst ever someone is willing to pay the "gamble" with him. 

I doub't we'll be the last club to do so with him. 

56 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I had a quick look and the website attached does indeed show Berahino on £7600 per week. 

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/sheffield-wednesday/

It does also show Corbeanu as being on £600 per week so not sure how accurate it is or where it gets its data. If it is correct then clearly it’s way to much for Berahino’s services. 

Heard it on a podcast today. Even Gregory gets less than Berahino if the numbers are true. Quite shocking 

We seemed quite comfortable against Crewe in the second half but then DM brought Berahaino on and we got noticeably worse.

Indeed Crewe had a couple of chances late on which was worrying at the time.

Even in the Pizza Cup games I cannot believe how poor SB's hold up play was and the same applies in League One games.

He lacks energy, pace and .the ability to hold the ball.

He is a risk as a sub and way short of a starting place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Expecting Berahino to get himself up off the sofa and jump straight back to top form is naive

Perhaps you should ask if a professional football with any ambition would be sat on the sofa until they're gifted a spot in a team...

Do players like Berahino ever turn it around? 

You know, the ones who were built up when they were youngsters and then, for whatever reason, went completely off the rails and failed to get even close to living up to their potential. 

I'm thinking the Ravel Morrisons of this world. 

They go around various clubs, failing at nearly all of them and yet they still get opportunity after opportunity to show once again how crap they actually are. 

If you're pushing 30 and still haven't hit it off at any club (despite having about seventeen of them), then maybe, just maybe, the problem might be you and your sh*t attitude and application. 

• Like 1

I find it bemusing.

I can see how energy and drive can drop off through lack of effort but I just cannot understand how/why his hold up play is so flawed.

Taht should not leave you in football

It someone said to you that he once played at PL level you would be shocked.

1 minute ago, Owls Loyal said:

I find it bemusing.

I can see how energy and drive can drop off through lack of effort but I just cannot understand how/why his hold up play is so flawed.

Taht should not leave you in football

It someone said to you that he once played at PL level you would be shocked.

Yeah, he can't hold it up can he. 

The ball bounces off him or he gets knocked off so easily. 

I thought that was an absolute basic of being a striker in this day and age? 

That Salary Sport website thinks that Bournemouth, Brentford and Barnsley are all in League One, so would take all those numbers with a pinch of salt.

We're clearly not paying BPF 28k a week either. So would ignore it, just guesswork with regards to Berahino and doubt he's on half that much.

4 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

That Salary Sport website thinks that Bournemouth, Brentford and Barnsley are all in League One, so would take all those numbers with a pinch of salt.

We're clearly not paying BPF 28k a week either. So would ignore it, just guesswork with regards to Berahino and doubt he's on half that much.

Thanks ... that sounds better  !!!

The guy at Salary Sport who made up those numbers has obviously never seen Berahino play for us.

On 13/12/2021 at 13:43, CourteenerOwl said:

The concern with Berahino is how many chances does Moore give him before it can have a negative effect on the morale of the squad? As things stand he is seemingly getting more chances than say Sow is. Why was he bought on instead of say Kamberi who has had a much better season then him. So you run the risk of upsetting the morale of certain players. 

Berahino career suggests that he is on a very steady decline. He was given the chance to really show he still has something but I don't think it is unfair to suggest he looks like he is going through the motions.

Just his passing for example is sloppy and he gives the ball away countless times, these are things you would thing he would be able to sharpen up even if he is low on confidence. He also does not seem to have the attributes to contribute at all. Lack of pace and lack of strength.

Hopefully Moore will look to move Sow and Berahino on and replace with a striker who has some attributes we don't have for when we might want to use plan B in a game. 

Adthe Nuhiu?

Only kidding

• Haha 1

On 14/12/2021 at 08:31, oneeyedmilkman said:

Based on nothing at all, I always got the impression Berahino's contract leant more towards appearance fee than weekly salary. Comes on pretty much every game late on despite the score or impetus and doesn't affect the outcome really

More reason not to play him then