• Berahino
    • Kamberi
    • Sow
    • Palmer
    • Brown
    • Shodipo

11 hours ago, toooldforthis said:
11 hours ago, Benny459 said:

Even if he was out of position if wing hadn’t given the ball away cheaply they wouldn’t have scored.

I get that you don’t like wing…

Its still true. I like Wing, but he's either great or gives the ball away. He looks weak physically at times. 

Wildsmith - 7 did everything well. Pleased with his distribution too considering the conditions

Hunt - 5 meh

Dunkley - 7 did OK on a difficult night 

Gibson - 7 looked OK, more comfortable on ball than Dunkley

Johnson - 5 rather mixed. Lots of misplaced passes but a couple of decent things too  (including another assist). Awol for their goal (again).

Corbeanu - 8 - two of our best shots and an assist plus other decent crosses too. Had much more of an impact than Sow or Shodipo. Sure he will frustrate us sometimes but I'd rather have that than players who offer nothing.

Dele - 6 as ever, some wonderful, eye-catching moments but peripheral for most of game

Wing - 7 - lots of frustrating errors but played a big part in most of our best moves

Sow - 4 - totally anonymous

Kamberi - 6 mostly anonymous too but at least he scored

Berahino - 4 looked like he was playing at a level above his capabilities

Palmer - 6 did fine

Shodipo - 4 - another anonymous display

Brown - 7 looked much more comfortable on the ball than in his previous games. Attacked well, got some good crosses in. I've not been impressed before but now I'm agreeing with those who think he's worth a try at left back.

Difficult to judge players in such difficult conditions but Corbeanu, Brown and Gibson improved their chances of first-team time whereas Hunt, Shodipo, Sow, Kamberi and Berahino did nothing to promote their case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Here's the lost possession and pass accuracy stats from the game.

It's set at per 90 minutes to make comparison easier.

image.png.4856469f0e37a48f0646b7d274f2c2be.png

Great info, thanks.

Do you also have stats for the number of touches? It looks like Berahino, Shodipo and Sow didn't do much wrong but I barely remember them. And Dele-Bashiru's stats look great but I didn't think he got involved enough.

22 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Went Corbeanu, but he has to get better at knowing when to release the ball. He's definitely got something about him, but you can see why he's been loaned out to learn how to play against men rather than boys.

It was very refreshing to see someone with dribbling ability running at teams for a change. 

Sounds a bit like Kadeem Harris tbh. 

Mansfield vs SWFC, Papa John's Trophy, 5th October 2021

Okay, final ratings are in, thanks to the 8 people who voted: @Dutch McLovin @trotter @nevthelodgemoorowl @Benny459  @Owlabroad2001 @davetherivelinowl @Daizan10

Wildsmith: 6.8

Hunt: 5.6

Dunkley: 5.9

Gibson: 6.8

Johnson: 5.9

Corbeanu: 7.8 - MoM

Wing: 6.1

Dele-Bashiru: 6.6

Sow: 4.9

Kamberi: 5.5

Berahino: 5.1

Palmer: 6.2

Shodipo: 5.4

Brown: 6.5

• Like 3

On 05/10/2021 at 15:12, Lord Snooty said:

Mansfield  1 - 2 Wednesday

A magnificent win for the Wednesday boys in [b]darkest Derbyshire[/b] against a strong Mansfield reserves.

I'll take "Sentences edited out of The Hobbit for 400 Alex"?

• Haha 1

I voted for Corbeanu, because if anybody was going to make anything happen it was him. 

Others played well too including Johnson, when he was switched from left back, apart from one good cross in the first half. I thought Brown looked more natural in the left back position and also did well when he came on. Gibson was also above average, as was Wildsmith, but the rest of the team were mediocre against a L2 reserves team.

Points wise, I score players for how well they play in their given position(s), hence Corbeanu 8, he was unlucky not to score one from two good efforts, tormented their defenders when given the ball and set up the winner. Wildsmith 7, Gibson 7, Johnson 6, Brown 6, Hunt 5, Dunkley 6, Wing 6, Palmer 5, Dele Bashiru 5, Kamberi 5, Berahino 5, Sow 4, Shodipo 4.

Regarding Johnson, I thought there were only a small number of fans that had criticised him outright, but I think they, along with most fans, would just want to see him further up the pitch. He is not a left back and if anything it is affecting his game. Anybody thinking he is good in that position just watch it again and count how many times he loses possesion there and then note how much better he plays on the other side, especially further up the pitch. I thought that this was a good chance to play Brown there all through the game and see how much of a difference he made, but never mind. Darren had certain things he wanted to do giving Gibson, Hunt and Berahino the minutes he wanted them to play, as part of his long term plan. I just hope that Darren can also introduce a more entertaning and convincing short term plan, because confidence seems to have plummeted in some areas of the team and fan base. We could all do with some good balanced performances where we give the opposition lots of things to worry about and win games by taking control, rather than reacting to the opposition. 

I think that people would rather see us concentrate on attacking the opposition with more style and composure rather than trying to contain teams with weaker players and playing Johnson, as a defender, which he is not, instead of the attacking winger that he actually is, kind of symbolises our approach to games recently. He looks good enough to attack the oppostion and cause them problems up front, but looks bad at defending, and making short range passes and causes us more problems at the back when losing the ball in our half. This game, more than any other showed that in a nutshell. We need to commit defensive players to defending, at the back and in midfield and attacking players to attacking in a formation that makes the opposition worried, not lining up like we are frightened of them. 

Several games have started, or turned into a shambles this season and although the team is still coming together it will take longer without some solid foundations. The players need to believe more in what they are doing, play to their strengths, apply themselves for 90 minutes and get their confidence back by being difficult to beat at one end while beating the oppositions defences more at the other. It will come and will be easier to get right when we have a CDM fit again, but we cannot keep waiting for that to happen.

Keep this winning run in the noddy cup going because it is the only way to keep a lot of our players anywhere near match fit.

I am a patient bloke, but they are trying my patience right now, although I do still think we will start to get our act together properly by the end of the month. We just need to scrape as many points as we can together before then, starting Saturday.

UTO!