The Wilderless Years

38 minutes ago, Django said:

Jokanovic is a great manager for that level, but I think he’s going to need a lot of new players before he can get them in contention. Hopefully he’ll not be given the time to sort it 

Thing with this is they got someone who was widely thought to be the best appointment available for the position they were in, where would they look next ?. Hopefully it’s a long and painful descent for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Thing with this is they got someone who was widely thought to be the best appointment available for the position they were in, where would they look next ?. Hopefully it’s a long and painful descent for them.

I don’t think it’ll work out

I wouldn’t be surprised if half of the squad are still pining for Chrissy, and have their eyes set on a move to Middlesbrough 

9 hours ago, Johnny Concrete said:

It's because of his tactics of using the media to channel his frustration of the board that is probably why he hasn't been in a job sooner. I mentioned it on here a bit back, but they were once discussing on Talksport about Wilder and a few other names who were then out of work and had been for a while. Simon Jordan was saying the way that Wilder conducted himself towards the end of his tenure, the bad mouthing the board and always looking for someone else to blame in regards to the club rooted to the bottom, these comments will not have gone down well with alot of chairman/owners hence why he has been out of work for some time.

That's the other thing with him is the responsibility. Wanted (and got) all the control but wasn't willing to accept any responsibility. More than happy to chuck everyone else under the bus though. Yet he doesn't deserve criticise according to some? 

Bonkers and wouldn't want him anywhere near our club

They’re not where they would expect to be but they’re not a million miles away from the play-off places and now that is their target. Jokanovic has started slowly elsewhere in the past and got the job done eventually. He’ll get the season but the JTW might make him decide on his own future?

12 hours ago, smhouston said:

He was actually given full control at Utd of the wage budget and transfers - it was one of his conditions for staying. You can say it's the owners fault for giving him money, but he still spent it on utter s***. End of the day, they backed him fully but he messed up big time

Not only that, but apparently he demanded (and got) a clause in his contract that he is always paid X amount more than the highest paid player which meant he ended up being on circa £100k / week. That's f'in ridiculous for a manager who has only achieved a few lower league promotions. Apparently Brewster was around the 8th highest paid player at circa £50k/week! 

Don't understand how anyone can not criticise him tbfh

How do you know all this?

Seems a bit far fetched to me - who were the 7 other players on more than 50K a week?

I have been very critical of his spending once he was given significant money to spend but however you look at it the club control the finances, if you give any manager a free reign with no limits thats just crazy. 

12 hours ago, fudge27 said:

You stated he left them in the top half of the Premier league. Which is a blatant lie. 

He has financially crippled them. He bought a load of duffers on high wages who they can't move on and who aren't good enough.  Not sure what other way you could describe that recruitment 

I didn't say he left them in the top half, I said he took them to the top half. 

His recruitment was poor. He hasn't financially crippled them, the people who control the budget should be responsible for managing how much they spend. 

Are you saying that Chansiri is not the man responsible for our financial position? 

1 hour ago, smhouston said:

That's the other thing with him is the responsibility. Wanted (and got) all the control but wasn't willing to accept any responsibility. More than happy to chuck everyone else under the bus though. Yet he doesn't deserve criticise according to some? 

Bonkers and wouldn't want him anywhere near our club

Is that because he is a blade?

Take that out of it and you have a manager who got a team who had spent 5 seasons in division 3 promoted with over 100 points in his first season. He then got his team promoted to the PL on a fraction of many other teams budget in the Championship and then got that team to finish in the top half of the PL. In his final season he was taking them back to the Championship without a doubt but they got rid of him in a far better position than when he took over - financially and in terms of league standing. 

20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Is that because he is a blade?

Take that out of it and you have a manager who got a team who had spent 5 seasons in division 3 promoted with over 100 points in his first season. He then got his team promoted to the PL on a fraction of many other teams budget in the Championship and then got that team to finish in the top half of the PL. In his final season he was taking them back to the Championship without a doubt but they got rid of him in a far better position than when he took over - financially and in terms of league standing. 

Not sure about the finances bit.

Hasn't the owner had to remortgage his LA house.

They also took out loans based on future tv monies.

Wilder did do a great job there, but his last season was a disaster on all fronts. Wasted loads of cash on mediocrity and then made it very clear he wanted out.

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Not sure about the finances bit.

Hasn't the owner had to remortgage his LA house.

They also took out loans based on future tv monies.

Wilder did do a great job there, but his last season was a disaster on all fronts. Wasted loads of cash on mediocrity and then made it very clear he wanted out.

Think that's more to do with the way the owners have run the club as a whole and the battle with McCabe. United made a profit in the COVID hit PL season - their wage bill was less than double what ours was when we hit over £40M in the Championship a couple of seasons earlier and their income was over 5 times what ours was. 

They may well have made a loss last season but that's on the owners far more than any manager - as we have seen ourselves. 

He certainly seems to be a better manager in terms of getting more out of average players rather than being given real cash to spend and improve.

Be interesting to see if Middlesbrough finish above them this season with a far more modest squad. 

6 hours ago, Django said:

I don’t think it’ll work out

I wouldn’t be surprised if half of the squad are still pining for Chrissy, and have their eyes set on a move to Middlesbrough 

But unfortunately Boro won't be able to match the wages that they are getting at United, so they take a cut or stay where they are....