The Wilderless Years

Just now, fudge27 said:

Neatly leaving off crippling them financially and leaving them with an ageing squad and one of the limpest PL seasons in history. 

That's the full job he did. 

So they would have been back in the Championship had they stuck with him, just like Norwich every other season, from a base of 6 seasons in League One. Think that puts him in credit.

Anyone blaming any manager for the finances is a bit deluded. Who is at fault for our finances? Jos, Carlos, Bruce, Monk? 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So they would have been back in the Championship had they stuck with him, just like Norwich every other season, from a base of 6 seasons in League One. Think that puts him in credit.

Anyone blaming any manager for the finances is a bit deluded. Who is at fault for our finances? Jos, Carlos, Bruce, Monk? 

He left them in a better position then he found them. Just. 

Left them with a much higher wage bill and ageing squad. 

He was given the money but he was not forced to spend it on McBurnie, Brewster, Robinson, Burke, Osborn etc so I think blaming for the recruitment is certainly not deluded

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

He left them in a better position then he found them. Just. 

Left them with a much higher wage bill and ageing squad. 

He was given the money but he was not forced to spend it on McBurnie, Brewster, Robinson, Burke, Osborn etc so I think blaming for the recruitment is certainly not deluded

Even in the COVID season they recorded a profit of over £17M. They spent the money he helped earn them by reaching the PL. His purchases when in the PL were poor and he should be criticised for that for sure but he cannot be held responsible for putting them in financial trouble.

Just in a better position than where he found them? They had failed to get promoted from the 3rd division 5 seasons in a row when he found them and many on here still had them as among the favourites to get promoted back to the PL this season so he can't have left them in that bad of a state. 

23 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Even in the COVID season they recorded a profit of over £17M. They spent the money he helped earn them by reaching the PL. His purchases when in the PL were poor and he should be criticised for that for sure but he cannot be held responsible for putting them in financial trouble.

Just in a better position than where he found them? They had failed to get promoted from the 3rd division 5 seasons in a row when he found them and many on here still had them as among the favourites to get promoted back to the PL this season so he can't have left them in that bad of a state. 

Yes, but he's left a wage bill and this year due to that wage bill and the performances of last season which is largely at his door they will record a massive loss. 

He got them promoted which was a decent job (they should always be near the top 6 at that level as should we, given our budget compared to teams at that level) 

Yes he did an excellent job getting them to the PL and season 1,but ultimately the wage bill he's left behind, the morale and with the squad and the proof is in the pudding of the performances he has left them in a slightly better position overall. 

3 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Yes, but he's left a wage bill and this year due to that wage bill and the performances of last season which is largely at his door they will record a massive loss. 

He got them promoted which was a decent job (they should always be near the top 6 at that level as should we, given our budget compared to teams at that level) 

Yes he did an excellent job getting them to the PL and season 1,but ultimately the wage bill he's left behind, the morale and with the squad and the proof is in the pudding of the performances he has left them in a slightly better position overall. 

They are in a much better position now than they were when he took over. Yes he can be a massive bell end but denying that is just pure Wednesday bias.

5 years and counting in division 3 with no prospect of getting it right to top half of the Premier League in 4 seasons. Imagine if we had a Wednesday fan as former player and manager who could achieve that for us. Megson is still lauded by some on here and he couldn't complete the getting out of the 3rd division part.

To still be blaming the former manager for the morale and performances 10 months after his departure is a bit rich, maybe the players and the new manager should be responsible. 

Same with the finances. Yes he wasted good money in the PL but the board control the finances, just as they do at our club, he is not responsible for the wage bill. 

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They are in a much better position now than they were when he took over. Yes he can be a massive bell end but denying that is just pure Wednesday bias.

5 years and counting in division 3 with no prospect of getting it right to top half of the Premier League in 4 seasons. Imagine if we had a Wednesday fan as former player and manager who could achieve that for us. Megson is still lauded by some on here and he couldn't complete the getting out of the 3rd division part.

To still be blaming the former manager for the morale and performances 10 months after his departure is a bit rich, maybe the players and the new manager should be responsible. 

Same with the finances. Yes he wasted good money in the PL but the board control the finances, just as they do at our club, he is not responsible for the wage bill. 

You keep saying top half of the Premier league. 

That is Not where he left them. He elft them rooted to the bottom of the league and his direct impact is the squad which is currently 18th or whatever in the league. 

This isn’t a new conversation for football though, is it, and I’m not convinced we even really still know the answer. Even if we do, I imagine it’s something that varies wildly from club to club depending on their structure. Harry Redknapp has had these “who spends the money?” questions around his neck for years. 

At United, I would be surprised if Wilder had zero input in transfers and is able to wash his hands of the mess their recruitment has left them in entirely. It’s definitely something he would have publicly slated the board for if he could have put it all on the club. 

You keep saying top half of the Premier league. 

That is Not where he left them. He elft them rooted to the bottom of the league and his direct impact is the squad which is currently 18th or whatever in the league. 

A squad which he got auto-promoted from the Championship with at the second attempt.

You are suggesting they are aging. Who is too old? He would get more out of them than the current manager is.

Yes he left them when they were going to get relegated from the PL. Having taken them over when they had failed to get promoted from the 3rd division at the 5th time of asking.

If a manager came in and did that for us I would be absolutely delighted.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

A squad which he got auto-promoted from the Championship with at the second attempt.

You are suggesting they are aging. Who is too old? He would get more out of them than the current manager is.

Yes he left them when they were going to get relegated from the PL. Having taken them over when they had failed to get promoted from the 3rd division at the 5th time of asking.

If a manager came in and did that for us I would be absolutely delighted.

The ageing players are the ones who have been key to their success 

McGoldrick, Sharp, Basham, Stevens, Norwood

All the wrong side of 30, think the two forwards may even be 35 plus?! 

I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job, but I don't think he's been as good as you are making out for them. 

The ageing players are the ones who have been key to their success 

McGoldrick, Sharp, Basham, Stevens, Norwood

All the wrong side of 30, think the two forwards may even be 35 plus?! 

I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job, but I don't think he's been as good as you are making out for them. 

I look forward to the manager who can take us from division 3 to top half of the PL in 4 seasons time.

Only been waiting 21 years for any manager to get us into the PL full stop so I won't hold my breath.

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I look forward to the manager who can take us from division 3 to top half of the PL in 4 seasons time.

Only been waiting 21 years for any manager to get us into the PL full stop so I won't hold my breath.

Dont see what that has to do with Wilder at the pigs but me too 😊

3 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Dont see what that has to do with Wilder at the pigs but me too 😊

Well. it is what he achieved with them, from a lower position than we currently find ourselves.

Chance would be a fine thing I eh. 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Well. it is what he achieved with them, from a lower position than we currently find ourselves.

Chance would be a fine thing I eh. 

How monumentally poor we have been for 2 decades isn't a good yardstick though.