Why do so many fans of other clubs hate us?

Should be said that things do change. 

Not saying we are going to rise from the ashes like the phoenix, but some of the fans of those clubs taunting us right now may be sitting there in a few years time feeling similar to what we are now. 

11 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Twitter tho.

It's just intellectually challenged individuals adding their own p!ss into a vast sea of p!ss.

Don't think many people really care what we do outside of the local area. We haven't been relevant in 20 years.

That's the best definition of twitter, ever

• Thanks 1

I know it is not that we are more disliked than any other club or are more disliked now than we used to be. 

Its down to the plain and simple fact that social media gives everyone a voice. Mixed in with society obsession with kicking people when they are down. 

The proof of this is how the younger generation sees stabbing you in the back fair game rather than a fair fight. 

Maybe I would be the same if I played video games from 8 years old that show in such graphic detail stabbing and slashing people with the only come back of game over press restart. 

Jealous of our success lol, said another commentator. Look, there is a point in that - fury from friends of other teams about successful Owls players like Di Canion and Forestieri etc - called them cheats etc. It always happens just think of England fans' assessment of your Maradonnas (1986) and Ronaldos. 
Also jealous of our ground (yes) and resources and the fact we're just massive really and you stilll see it like when the Owl swoops to a Barnsley etc and signs their best striker. Even if he turns out to be a bit lame onece he rocks up at S10.

17 hours ago, poorlyheadowl said:

Had an absolute barrage of hate on Twitter over the weekend from fans of other clubs, quite a roasting tbh. 

I can see why the blunts, dingles, toy town etc would be giving it out, but manure, naarich, brizzle etc. Quite baffling as we've not had much interaction with them over the years

The only commiserations has been from my blunt fan father in law! I really don't get the hatred. I always had the impression we were the "second team" for a lot of fans from other clubs. Seems not. 

For the record I'm not one to ever give it large on Twitter etc, just a casual user.  I can only imagine what some of our more vocal fans have witnessed. Very odd. 

I think you're assuming Twitter means anything at all.

Local club fans hating us I can maybe understand, for the most part we've been bigger, better & more successful than them so they want to see us fail, I kinda get it.

Clubs outside the immediate area, I really doubt very many of their fans give a throw about us enough to muster up any real hate, I mean why would they, we're nothing to them.

Personally I don't hate any other club, not even United...wasted emotion to me, the only rival we have in my eyes are United, which means friendly rivalry, then again I'm old school, not like the teeth gnashers we get today.... the likes of Barnsley, Rotherham, Chesterfield I couldn't care less about, the only thing about them that I ever liked was that they were easy to get to.

15 minutes ago, BrotherOwlExile said:

Jealous of our success lol, said another commentator. Look, there is a point in that - fury from friends of other teams about successful Owls players like Di Canion and Forestieri etc - called them cheats etc. It always happens just think of England fans' assessment of your Maradonnas (1986) and Ronaldos. 
Also jealous of our ground (yes) and resources and the fact we're just massive really and you stilll see it like when the Owl swoops to a Barnsley etc and signs their best striker. Even if he turns out to be a bit lame onece he rocks up at S10.

S10..?

I think every team who gets relegated sees hate directed their way on twitter. I've pretty much come off it now cos it's just depressing. I wouldn't read too much into it. 

The massive thing was started by our local rivals fans. Rotherham and pig fans started saying it on praise or grumble etc. They had a bee in their bonnet that we had higher attendances or good away support or summat. Some of our fans picked up on it and started saying it ironically, same way that Derby and Swansea fans say they are intimate with sheep, get it in before other fans do. The comment that is, stop sniggering. Then a few players said it in interviews for a bit of a laugh/nod to the fans. 

I don't care who hates us. I live in Sheffield and rarely meet fans of other clubs. I hate every other club in the country pretty much but don't spout off about it. 

12 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

It wasn’t though was it..

I think it was, certainly was if I used it & others I know who used/use it....be honest, do you know any Wednesday fan who honestly believes we are a genuinely massive club....maybe there are a few deluded enough to think so but I've never come across one.

If you asked me what I 'think' we should be then I'd say based on city size by population we & United should be right up there in football terms, what's Sheffield?, 5th 6th in England, we should be rivaling Liverpool & Manchester but I doubt we ever will..........Sheffield, in my opinion are footballs greatest underachievers.....but I still love it.

18 hours ago, poorlyheadowl said:

Had an absolute barrage of hate on Twitter over the weekend from fans of other clubs, quite a roasting tbh. 

I can see why the blunts, dingles, toy town etc would be giving it out, but manure, naarich, brizzle etc. Quite baffling as we've not had much interaction with them over the years

The only commiserations has been from my blunt fan father in law! I really don't get the hatred. I always had the impression we were the "second team" for a lot of fans from other clubs. Seems not. 

For the record I'm not one to ever give it large on Twitter etc, just a casual user.  I can only imagine what some of our more vocal fans have witnessed. Very odd. 

Thought the same myself and couldn’t believe some of the hatred on there. I had to come off as was getting wound up lol  

3 minutes ago, DlNGLE said:

You’re as bad as Liverpool Celtic and Leeds fans proper scummy 😉

Thank you. I’m happy to be in that club! I’d add ManCity, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid as well. A lot of similarities...

Maybe we should stop this MASSIVE stupidity. We are a middling team who've been fortunate to see some very good/excellent teams and play in  a wonderful stadium, which was always said to generate 4/5000 extra supporters. Truth is we haven't approached a 30000 average since 1967 and that only because we gained fantastic interest from playing in the FA Cup Final when it was THE major football game. We have won only one honour in 85 seasons, although we have had near misses but have played a few seasons in Europe. We tell ourselves how wonderful we are as fans, but that is only when things are going well, otherwise the atmosphere goes from average to toxic. Maybe going down will give us, the fans, and the club a reality check and start from square one. It will now be 2023 before we have any chance of joining the Premier League, scary.

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy
18 hours ago, ohgoditsjames said:

I see ticket prices for away matches being one reason, as if they don’t realise that the hole fans get screwed over even more.

This probably explains why some might dislike us recently, but in general I always find that we’re much more popular than Sheff U

19 hours ago, poorlyheadowl said:

I think you’ll find in the real world that we are quite a loved and / or revered club

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy
1 minute ago, Mister Soul said:

I think you’ll find in the real world that we are quite a loved and / or revered club

Revered? We’re most famous for a stadium disaster and losing to Man U when Fergie won his first title 

8 hours ago, slinger208b said:

Because we think we are bigger than we are...

Recently read Micheal Owens autobiography and on his time at Newcastle he said that a lot of fans think they club is 20% bigger than it is.

Think not just Newcastle and Wednesday fans think this way though.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Recently read Micheal Owens autobiography and on his time at Newcastle he said that a lot of fans think they club is 20% bigger than it is.

Think not just Newcastle and Wednesday fans think this way though.

Typical one city club mentality. Most vastly overrated fans in football.

• Like 1

Guest Maxine

No idea but who cares as for the hate on twitter just laugh hateful comments off it's what some people are on there to do.