Next Season (Squad)

Just now, gurujuan said:

We surely have enough experience already?

Looking at the out of contract list ,  players like Sonny Bradley , Kieron Freeman  etc could be useful alongside younger legs as most of the experience we have will be gone in the summer.

5 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Looking at the out of contract list ,  players like Sonny Bradley , Kieron Freeman  etc could be useful alongside younger legs as most of the experience we have will be gone in the summer.

Depends how we want to go, but for example, we will have four experienced defenders under contract, do we really need any more?

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You can’t play Dunkley in a defence that is instructed to play out from the back.

I’m a huge fan of Lees, but now we’ve got DM Lees just has to go.

Lees is one dimensional, solid in the air but a liability with the ball at his feet. The jury is still out for me on Dunkley, I'm not sure we've really seen what he's capable of yet.

Personally if hutch is still here he or Dunkley should be centre back with Iorfa and bring through the u23s as backup. 

5 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Lees is one dimensional, solid in the air but a liability with the ball at his feet. The jury is still out for me on Dunkley, I'm not sure we've really seen what he's capable of yet.

Personally if hutch is still here he or Dunkley should be centre back with Iorfa and bring through the u23s as backup. 

I’m not sure if any of the U23 defenders can be considered good enough to step up, aside from Urhoghide that is. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

You can’t play Dunkley in a defence that is instructed to play out from the back.

I’m a huge fan of Lees, but now we’ve got DM Lees just has to go.

I think a Dunkley - Iorfa or Dunkley - Urhoghide CB pairing ina  4231 can work. I get that he may not be most comfortable on the ball, but with simple passes available to the two infront of him, the wingbacks and his CB partner he doesn't need to be gifted. He just needs to have willing recipients running into space to receive the ball. 

All too often our CB's look terrible at distribution because the person they pass to (very often Bannan, sometimes Hutch when he's CM) passes it straight back to them, meaning they have one fewer option to pass to and a bit less time after they get closed down more. You watch other limited CB's pass it out all the time, I've never thought of Keogh as a cultured ball playing CB, yet he looked fine with a Passing accuracy close to 90% mid week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I’m not sure if any of the U23 defenders can be considered good enough to step up, aside from Urhoghide that is. 

Our CB pairing next year should he Iorfa Hutchinson with Hutchinson as captain. If Iorfa is sold for funds then Urhoghide plays along side him. Dunkley on the bench.

Think this is the only position were actually ok for in league one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

No chance in the first season. We'll buy 3 or 4, bring in as many again on season loans and integrate with what we have left. Six transfer windows minimum before all of the squad are our players.

That's the only way I can see it happening.

I think the point is this can't be rushed now. We can't make the same mistakes again. Any arrivals have to be selected carefully for the system DM wants to play.

It will be a long term project which is why we shouldn't lose our cool. 

Season loans, done properly, can make a huge difference. It is something that we haven't utilised properly and, given our budget, we should look to use it wisely.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Great post.

To an extent players need to adapt to a system, but you don’t buy a Smart Car for Brands Hatch or a McLaren for the school run. 

Moore must be allowed to pick his targets. I am worried that he’s too focussed on his system, rather than look at his squad and realise we can’t play out from the back or succeed with a lone-striker. DC has to give him the type of player that suits what he wants to mould.

What DC has to give him is the right to build the side he wants. If he starts to 'give him players' it's all over bar the shouting and this club is effectively finished.

We've been there and done that, we've got the T shirt and we know it's all a slow car crash. DC has two options, 'Learn' or 'Get out'. 

7 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I think a Dunkley - Iorfa or Dunkley - Urhoghide CB pairing ina  4231 can work. I get that he may not be most comfortable on the ball, but with simple passes available to the two infront of him, the wingbacks and his CB partner he doesn't need to be gifted. He just needs to have willing recipients running into space to receive the ball. 

All too often our CB's look terrible at distribution because the person they pass to (very often Bannan, sometimes Hutch when he's CM) passes it straight back to them, meaning they have one fewer option to pass to and a bit less time after they get closed down more. You watch other limited CB's pass it out all the time, I've never thought of Keogh as a cultured ball playing CB, yet he looked fine with a Passing accuracy close to 90% mid week. 

Cant see iorfa,if ever fit,playing in 3rd tier.. 

17 minutes ago, brando said:

The ‘if ever fit’ part makes it likely he’ll be with us until Jan to prove his fitness. Not many will be willing to pay for him after this year? 

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

The ‘if ever fit’ part makes it likely he’ll be with us until Jan to prove his fitness. Not many will be willing to pay for him after this year? 

Other clubs generally like to see how players recover from serious injuries before signing them. Especially someone like Iorfa who relies on his physical attributes more than anything else.

I say other clubs as we are the exception obviously.

• Haha 1

Of the players we have, I’d like to see the following stick around

Westwood

Wildsmith as number 2

Palmer

Lees

Bannan

Hutchinson

Uroghide

Paterson

Rhodes ( on a considerably less wages)

Iorfa

Dunkley

Borner

Hunt

The rest will all hopefully get shown the door as they are either, always injured, have a shocking attitude, not up to standard or simply can’t be arsed 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Django said:

Westwood

Wildsmith as number 2

Palmer

Lees

Bannan

Hutchinson

Uroghide

Paterson

Iorfa

Dunkley

Borner

Hunt

The rest will all hopefully get shown the door as they are either, always injured, have a shocking attitude, not up to standard or simply can’t be arsed 

Out of interest, what do you think our salary budget is for next season? You’ve said you’d like an awful lot of highly paid players to stay next term. 

45 minutes ago, Django said:

Westwood

Wildsmith as number 2

Palmer

Lees

Bannan

Hutchinson

Uroghide

Paterson

Iorfa

Dunkley

Borner

Hunt

So basically everyone in the squad now that’s crap, old, worthless and on high championship wages you want to see in L1?

1 hour ago, brando said:

I think I agree with that. I recall Pulis saying he purred like a Rolls Royce.  What is his contract situation, maybe he is one we will get a decent fee for 

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Out of interest, what do you think our salary budget is for next season? You’ve said you’d like an awful lot of highly paid players to stay next term. 

The salary cap was scrapped wasn’t it