Next Season (Squad)

I think we learn a lot about our club this summer. 
if we have one like last year then it will confirm exactly what the promble is at the club. 
if we have one like we need then it will confirm that the previous manager didn’t know what he was doing. 
if it’s the first then I would like to be the first to apologise to GM for the criticism I have levelled at him 

1 hour ago, Plonk said:

if we have one like last year then it will confirm exactly what the promble is at the club. 
if we have one like we need then it will confirm that the previous manager didn’t know what he was doing. 
if it’s the first then I would like to be the first to apologise to GM for the criticism I have levelled at him 

It should be hugely different. We are going to be recruiting for a different division, without -12 points and hopefully without being hamstrung by £100k a week between Lees, Reach, Westwood and Rhodes (+any others let go)

If it’s a window anything like the last two seasons or January then we really are in trouble. Daddy’s allowance may have been cut off altogether. 

• Like 1

I'm ecstatic at the thought that we can get rid of all of those on 15K or more in one go. On the flip side, Bannan signing a new deal and potential of Hutch signing an extension fills me with dread. 

I want next seasons team/squad to be largely filled with players on an upward trajectory that can increase in ability and value. I'd rather us have players like Penney, Urhoghide, FDB, maybe even Hunt in the team than Bannan & Hutch. If we need a few old pro's for experience lets not pay then 3X the average wage. Players like Joey & Dunkley who may not be the most gifted IMO offer great character and are good role models (likely both on <10K too).

Moore has experience of bringing in 10-15 players in one window and gelling them into a team. He also has a track record of playing decent football which is probably why he gets loans from Prem teams. Who wants to send a promising youngster to play Pulis Ball?? If Moore has the autonomy to ditch some of the favourites and bring in his own players I'm quite looking forward to next season. 

6 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

No matter who we sign, we must sign players with a plan in mind. Last few years we have been guilty of signing players without any plan on how we are going to play them or slot them in. 

Jordan Rhodes is a key example of this. Signed a player known for thriving on crosses and passes into the box and then play him as a lone target man. Fletcher was another one, arial threat from crosses and stuck up front in a team that has players who simply cant or dont cross. Also see Reach, Windass and Patterson as players signed with no clue as to where or how best to play or fit them in.

Need a plan this time and to build a team to that plan. Nowt wrong with flexibility, but a team with no identity at all, like has been the case with us for last 3 years, is not an option anymore. 

Great post.

To an extent players need to adapt to a system, but you don’t buy a Smart Car for Brands Hatch or a McLaren for the school run. 

Moore must be allowed to pick his targets. I am worried that he’s too focussed on his system, rather than look at his squad and realise we can’t play out from the back or succeed with a lone-striker. DC has to give him the type of player that suits what he wants to mould.

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I'm ecstatic at the thought that we can get rid of all of those on 15K or more in one go. On the flip side, Bannan signing a new deal and potential of Hutch signing an extension fills me with dread. 

I want next seasons team/squad to be largely filled with players on an upward trajectory that can increase in ability and value. I'd rather us have players like Penney, Urhoghide, FDB, maybe even Hunt in the team than Bannan & Hutch. If we need a few old pro's for experience lets not pay then 3X the average wage. Players like Joey & Dunkley who may not be the most gifted IMO offer great character and are good role models (likely both on <10K too).

Moore has experience of bringing in 10-15 players in one window and gelling them into a team. He also has a track record of playing decent football which is probably why he gets loans from Prem teams. Who wants to send a promising youngster to play Pulis Ball?? If Moore has the autonomy to ditch some of the favourites and bring in his own players I'm quite looking forward to next season. 

Some good positivity there.

You make a really good point about Joey and Dunkley. As League 1 players go you couldn’t ask for more mature and driven players. They are mid to lower Championship players, so with their unquestionable effort they should thrive.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

You make a really good point about Joey and Dunkley. As League 1 players go you couldn’t ask for more mature and driven players. They are mid to lower Championship players, so with their unquestionable effort they should thrive.

Like @malek posted in another thread, you could easily build a new 11 with out of contract players. If you add into that mix some of our existing squad then I think it’s a decent mix next year.

The worry again this season, will be, how do we find 3 or 4 strikers? We failed miserably last summer, when we had a budget of sorts. It may be League One, but we will need to do much better than we did last summer, even at that level. 

7 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

No matter who we sign, we must sign players with a plan in mind. Last few years we have been guilty of signing players without any plan on how we are going to play them or slot them in. 

Jordan Rhodes is a key example of this. Signed a player known for thriving on crosses and passes into the box and then play him as a lone target man. Fletcher was another one, arial threat from crosses and stuck up front in a team that has players who simply cant or dont cross. Also see Reach, Windass and Patterson as players signed with no clue as to where or how best to play or fit them in.

Need a plan this time and to build a team to that plan. Nowt wrong with flexibility, but a team with no identity at all, like has been the case with us for last 3 years, is not an option anymore. 

You're right. We just stockpiled players in a scattergun approach.

That's simply because Carlos had a dream, rather than a solid plan or structure.🤣

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

I'd also throw in a third possibility, i.e. that DC finally realises he's balls'd up and backs the manager properly giving him full control of recruitment.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agree about Dunkley, unfortunately he spends to much time out injured which is a massive shame. 

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Agree about Dunkley, unfortunately he spends to much time out injured which is a massive shame. 

I hope it’s just a reaction to his leg-break, but of course you might be right.

I suppose another point is that neither he nor Lees could possibly be an integral part of any back line tasked to play the ball out.

33 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Is it 15/16 out of contract at end of season? We are looking at least double figures to build this squad from scratch. 

Huge job but will the investment be available?

No chance in the first season. We'll buy 3 or 4, bring in as many again on season loans and integrate with what we have left. Six transfer windows minimum before all of the squad are our players.

That's the only way I can see it happening.

I think the point is this can't be rushed now. We can't make the same mistakes again. Any arrivals have to be selected carefully for the system DM wants to play.

6 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I think Dunkley will improve. He's overcome a massive injury and was bound to have an inconsistent return.

A full pre season will make him stronger.

5 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I think Dunkley will improve. He's overcome a massive injury and was bound to have an inconsistent return.

A full pre season will make him stronger.

You can’t play Dunkley in a defence that is instructed to play out from the back.

I’m a huge fan of Lees, but now we’ve got DM Lees just has to go.

It should be a mix , like all good squads , some promising league 1 and 2 players , some premier U21 loans and some experienced campaigners....................................it all boils down to who does the recruiting...............................which is one of the main reasons we are in this f***in mess.

Our fans absolutely baffle me. Get rid of bananas and hutch but keep pelepussy ( who rarely contributes even when he plays) and dele, who I don’t think has completed a league game, and dunkley who is obviously a crock.

The same last summer, get rid of FF, Fletch and Lee. That’s worked out well hasn’t it.

Yes I understand the finances and the need to cut cloth, but you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

It should be a mix , like all good squads , some promising league 1 and 2 players , some premier U21 loans and some experienced campaigners....................................it all boils down to who does the recruiting...............................which is one of the main reasons we are in this f***in mess.

We surely have enough experience already?