Next Season (Squad)

Never posted on here before but always enjoyed reading what everyone had to say.
Just wondering what people think the club should/will target in regards to players for the next season? Realistically that is! Like how many in and what style/position. 

• Like 1

There's going to be a lot of areas need strengthening with the number of contracts up. 

I'd go as far as to say there's not one area on the park which has me thinking 'yes, that's ok'.

Of course, whether Moore gets to build a squad...

Or just has a clutch full of randoms foisted on him and is told to make a silk purse out of them, is my real worry

PS- Welcome aboard. 

The life boats are situated. ..

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 4

After the knowledge that we've done absolutely nothing to avoid relegation this season the "next worse" thought is the one that we are doing absolutely nothing in relation to planning next seasons squad.

We will once again make do with leftovers and deadwood with no cohesive plan and absolutely no idea of how to move forward as a club.

It's not even worth thinking about next seasons squad in my view, it will be what it will be......  

• Like 3

I think there’s too many unknowns to even think about what our squad will look like. 

Im absolutely petrified at the thought of this club trying to sign 15+ players who will all want 2+ year deals. 

Desperation shopping to put a whole squad together in league 1 on a cut budget, with agents knowing how desperate we are, coupled with our recent recruitment history?

All aboard. One way ticket.

• Like 2

Doesn’t fill you with confidence does it our recruitment over the last few years, our inability to forward plan a cohesive structure of building for the future! Or the way in our hour of need January window apart from 2 free transfers nothing at all? So I’ve no doubt we’ll go about our business the way we usually do and everything will turn just fine ending with us as league one champions ......😳

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Well throwing my ring into the hat ....

Start at the number 1 jersey ...

111073-1553697530.jpg.213bf75f00a7a1258dc3f2ed4b821727.jpg

Would be a good signing in all honesty!

Would love the club to bring in a bunch of young lads in search of first team opportunities fresh from some big academies and personally I think DM would do a good job with that! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

I really hope that Moore with his knowledge of league one goes and picks up the best players from some of the clubs in that league. Can’t imagine they would cost that much. 

Exactly. I wouldn’t mind if he raided Donny either for a couple because atleast that way he already knows them and they know how he wants to play 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phillips said:

Exactly. I wouldn’t mind if he raided Donny either for a couple because atleast that way he already knows them and they know how he wants to play 

Agreed. Would like us to go for Josh Sims who Doncaster have got on loan from Southampton. Looks a very decent player at that level. 

The question is will it be the players that moore wants or the players that he gets ? That will decide whether we continue to fall or start the huge climb back upwards....I’m not that confident. Hope I’m wrong 

Its the most important pre season since 16-17 coming up. We messed it up then and the odds are we will mess it up again.

The only ray of hope is the wage bill will be the lowest it has been for years and we will be able to attract very good players at league 1 level.

We can even cheat and wait for clubs to bid/ offer a contract to a sought after player then swoop in at the last minute. A bit like when top 6 in the Prem get all the decent players with sometimes quite lazy,  reactive scouting. Relying on their status to gazump a smaller club. 

No matter who we sign, we must sign players with a plan in mind. Last few years we have been guilty of signing players without any plan on how we are going to play them or slot them in. 

Jordan Rhodes is a key example of this. Signed a player known for thriving on crosses and passes into the box and then play him as a lone target man. Fletcher was another one, arial threat from crosses and stuck up front in a team that has players who simply cant or dont cross. Also see Reach, Windass and Patterson as players signed with no clue as to where or how best to play or fit them in.

Need a plan this time and to build a team to that plan. Nowt wrong with flexibility, but a team with no identity at all, like has been the case with us for last 3 years, is not an option anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, OwlinOldham said:

No matter who we sign, we must sign players with a plan in mind. Last few years we have been guilty of signing players without any plan on how we are going to play them or slot them in. 

Jordan Rhodes is a key example of this. Signed a player known for thriving on crosses and passes into the box and then play him as a lone target man. Fletcher was another one, arial threat from crosses and stuck up front in a team that has players who simply cant or dont cross. Also see Reach, Windass and Patterson as players signed with no clue as to where or how best to play or fit them in.

Need a plan this time and to build a team to that plan. Nowt wrong with flexibility, but a team with no identity at all, like has been the case with us for last 3 years, is not an option anymore. 

We'll sign players no-one else would go near or players that paxo & chums will profit from, regardless of any "plan" or what the team or manager requires. 

That is our recruitment strategy and one of the main reasons we're heading for oblivion! 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, I looked at the transfers DM had made at WBA & Donny.  To suggest any names would probably be futile, but if SWFC is in League One, DM's moves when at Doncaster could be a blueprint.  He tapped loans from EPL U23 clubs for loans quite a bit, but he also seemed to scour League One and Two to find young/hungry contributors.  

Moore, assuming he stays, should have an excellent opportunity to build a team the way that he wants (**assuming DC would give up the reins).  He should have some contacts in both the EPL and League One to target players that fit his scheme.  Now, I'm not at all knowledgable about the transfer rules for League One (it seems that VERY few transfer fees occur), but if DC can provide even a small amount of a transfer budget to accelerate the process to obtain targeted players that fit DM's scheme would go a long way.  Peterborough and their move to obtain Clarke-Harris really proved to be a valuable purchase.. a move like that could really help kickstart the 'rebuild.'