Wilder Sacked, all Sheffield's at it!

5 hours ago, 0742 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Berge fetch £50m in the current market, he's been touted by some big clubs and is still going. 

I've seen absolutely nothing from Berge to suggest they'd even get £5m for him, a lightweight ineffective midfielder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

I've seen absolutely nothing from Berge to suggest they'd even get £5m for him, a lightweight ineffective midfielder

I've gotta say when they first signed him I hadn't even heard of the bloke despite loads claiming him to be the next Scandinavian big shot. Games I've watched him he's not done anything remotely to justify the price tag he came with, he doesn't stand out in games he plays in although Blunts I know cream themselves over him. 

All that money spent and yet the only player they brought in this season who's looked ok, in my opinion, is Osbourn from Forest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

But it is more of a risk with foreign players. You have the added issues of having to give them time to adjust to a different country and culture, weather etc. Some just can't adjust and settle.

It is much easier to go and watch players play if they're in this country, speak to other scouts/coaches who know the player. Rather than watch videos that only highlight their good points and rely on the word of agents or dodgy foreign advisors.

As I said we have had our fingers burned so many times with foreign players at great financial cost to the club.

You could get all these things from a player moving within England too.

Numerous examples over the years of players moving from up north to down south and vice versa who can't settle or adjust, I mean it's less frequent but it does happen. Happened with Rhoys Wiggins here iirc

It could be a massive culture shock to say a youngster moving from London to a smaller provincial city. 

The most startling figure for me throughout this (apologies if it's already been mentioned) is when Abdullah stated that Wilder wanted £4 million to walk away.

His response was "Why should we pay him NEARLY a years salary to walk away"

So - possibly - a £5 Million annual salary for a manger who's team will get £100 million to finish bottom of the league.

Can't wait for League 1!

13 hours ago, 0742 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Berge fetch £50m in the current market, he's been touted by some big clubs and is still going. 

Nathan Ake is the most expensive Championship player sold at £40M and the next highest is another £10M back on that. If anyone pays £50M for Berge in the current climate then they truly have way more money than sense. 

Nobody likes a mardy @rse......

I think the revelations of the last week hurt Wilder in the very short term. But, this is football and clubs will inevitably turn a blind eye to it. He’ll no doubt be back in an overpaid role in no time.

As a Wednesday fan, I get some satisfaction from two things.....what was going on at Utd wasn’t as much of a fairy tail as it looked from the outside, they’re dysfunctional like many other clubs. And, most satisfying, Wilders aura of brilliance in the eyes of Utd fans must surely be forever tarnished.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Concrete said:

I've gotta say when they first signed him I hadn't even heard of the bloke despite loads claiming him to be the next Scandinavian big shot. Games I've watched him he's not done anything remotely to justify the price tag he came with, he doesn't stand out in games he plays in although Blunts I know cream themselves over him. 

All that money spent and yet the only player they brought in this season who's looked ok, in my opinion, is Osbourn from Forest.

It seems Blades fans have convinced themselves that Berge is some amazing talent that they signed who was far better than the team he's playing in and will go onto greatness, its like they've repeated this nonsense for long enough that they now believe it, he's another of Wilder's transfer follys.

Did I just read someone say Berge would possibly fetch 50 million?... that's five zero right ? ....absolutely no chance he was shocking.

Everyone was raving on about this kid and when I saw him he looked as average as they get...didn't even stand out in a very poor side.

• Like 1

Berge just looked like a steady eddie to me.

Kept the ball well enough and then passed it simple.

Not exactly YaYa Toure powering his way through the middle of the park, was he? 

He's not as good as say Hjoberg who moved to Spurs for very little.

On 26/03/2021 at 00:14, Ian said:

Its interesting that when everyone (including the Poundland Pricnce) talks about Wilder's financial failures in the transfer market they talk only of Brewster and Ramsdale, yet don't mention the likes of Berge who could potentially make more profit for them on his own this summer than anything they paid for those 2.

Even the best managers make mistakes and probably in about the same ratio Wilder has

It's not about the mistakes he's made, it's about the fact he's so stubborn in admitting that's been the case and looking to do something different in the future. The Prince wanted more targets to work with going forward (to help negotiate more than anything), Wilder refused, he wanted to run it himself like a League One outfit, backwards. The Prince said he let him do it as he'd earned the right to for doing so well. 

The Prince also mentioned in his interview that the Brewster and Ramsdale signings were not for 'now' but for the future so he discounted those, but was concerned about the other money that was spent and how it hasn't helped them at all. He then understandably said he would have doubts giving Wilder more money to spend 'his way' after he'd tried to resign.

They could make profit on Berge, but a lot of them have lowered release clauses if they go down so probably not. 

On 26/03/2021 at 11:04, Tommy Crawshaw said:

British/Scottish/Irish players served Wilder well though. He probably knows what he's going to get character wise. He brought players in he knew had the right attitudes and physical abilities.

The problem with foreign players, you don't really know what you're going to get. You can't see from watching videos or 3rd hand reports the players character and demeanour. 

There is a risk with foreign players they will not be a good fit as we have found out many times to our cost.

Change the problem with foreign players to the problem with players you don't know much about and you're spot on, because that is all it counts for. With a proper scouting system in place you'd be a fool to limit yourself, especially when you consider that British players often come with a premium in the market. 

Wilder elevated United to a point where everyone around them had global scouting networks and he was too busy paying over the odds for British players who have fallen flat. He then didn't want to adapt when the owner asked him to, more fool him. 

If he wants to be a top ten manager he'll need to change.

Also, we've had countless recruitment issues for British players as well as foreign ones, and just like Wilder it's been the British ones that've been far more costly than the others. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Owls2k said:

It's not about the mistakes he's made, it's about the fact he's so stubborn in admitting that's been the case and looking to do something different in the future. The Prince wanted more targets to work with going forward (to help negotiate more than anything), Wilder refused, he wanted to run it himself like a League One outfit, backwards. The Prince said he let him do it as he'd earned the right to for doing so well. 

The Prince also mentioned in his interview that the Brewster and Ramsdale signings were not for 'now' but for the future so he discounted those, but was concerned about the other money that was spent and how it hasn't helped them at all. He then understandably said he would have doubts giving Wilder more money to spend 'his way' after he'd tried to resign.

They could make profit on Berge, but a lot of them have lowered release clauses if they go down so probably not. 

Sorry your highness 

9 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I think the consensus is that he hasn’t moved with the times at the top level approach. Still many on here think our manager should have complete run of transfers which isn’t the case at many clubs these days 

People think our manager should have the run of transfers because the people we have above are just incompetent though, so not really a fair comparison. 

• Like 1

Wilders targets weren’t considered and players were brought in that he didn’t want

Piggy Sharp has even tried to stick up for wilder and now he’s been frozen out too

You couldn’t make it up it’s brilliant

Its like the pigs have reached the big time then thought “phook it let’s do what Wednesday are doing and completely mess this up”

Club owners these days are complete tards 

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

People think our manager should have the run of transfers because the people we have above are just incompetent though, so not really a fair comparison. 

I don’t think it’s an unfair comparison as whilst we seem to lack a clear structure from the outside, all SUFC are saying is that the manager should listen to suggestions from other contacts such as contacts of their owner and whoever is associated with them and also look to lighten the load on one man. 

Whereas here that is seen as suspicious or unusual but it’s the older english managers who struggle with it the most.  In the same breath some supporters want a DOF.

Funnily enough when it seemed obvious that there were agents heavily involved here we arguably brining in better players so I think our issue has been a lack of a longer term plan vs FFP as the inability to continue spending has seen that dry up. 

In the absence of a load of cash, It partly seems to be dependent on contacts (Hughes and Izzy Brown/Kachunga, Downes and Andre Green, FDB and Wilkinson) and making the most of the analysis (Pickering/Pearce as targets for example) DM is meant to have some good contacts so hopefully we can make the most of that. As long as the manager can set the strategy and prioritise positions to strengthen I think that’s the key thing. If they can’t do that I think it’s a bigger issue.

• Like 1