Favourite moment as a wednesday supporter.

2 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

i'd like to think that we'll get the same buzz like we had back in 1990/91 for the first post COVID 19 fixture at S6 in Aug.Somehow i'd very much doubt it.

Well, we started that season away to Ipswich.

Could happen again, as long as Ipswich don't get promoted...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hughdowd said:

.......also 1-0 away win at Reading (Elm park ground ) .. Jeff Johnson scored ....invaded pitch on both occasions... silk scarf tied round my wrist......felt so proud and brilliant to be a Wednesday fan them times 🥲

That was mine! What a bloody fantastic day out that was. Getting cups of tea from Elm Park residents! 

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Plenty of my fave moments mentioned by others. 
Haven’t seen mention of Hirst scoring and keeping a clean sheet against Man City. Just sticks in my mind as a particularly joyous occasion!

I just remember him pulling the goalie shirt on and every time he made a save or even touched the ball just giving him a massive cheer. What a blok

Apparently that Man City game is the last top flight match with no tv cameras present.

It was a noon kick off (fairly rare in those days, unlike today when there seems to be a match kicking off every hour each weekend) and the tv crew were late expecting a 3pm start.

Absolutely brilliant thread. Enjoyed reading all of these.

One favourite moment is hard to choose, so in chronological order.......

Five years old and the moment I saw the vivid green pitch for the first time and was part of a 20,000 crowd, the realisation of being part of something and the atmosphere, it's always been about the atmosphere since for me. Nov 1971. Norwich, 1-1, Joicey scored for us.

Burnley quarter final replay 1983, Megson's goal, realising we were probably going to be in the semi. Not sure anyone expected 41,000 to turn up that night, what an atmosphere.

Newcastle away April 1984, Shelton's overhead kick in front of us in a small but packed, open away end. Most of us there started to believe we were actually going up then.

League cup final 1991. Stunning. It was all about us. But we did beat Man Utd, a team on the cusp of dominating English football for the next 20 years. And they nicked our song. 

Life time's ambition, Spora Luxembourg away 1992, seeing my team play in Europe. So glad we travelled independently and not on the Wednesday coaches.

Another Newcastle away, 1996, winning to consolidate our position at the top of the Premiership. I think we'd won at Leeds earlier in that week. Someone's already mentioned their forward line and level of expectation that day. Northumbria police realising they had taken on too much and backing off when trying to lift someone at half time in the concourse. The packed surge towards them with deafening chants of attack attack attack probably had something to do with it. 

Brighton play off home game atmosphere 2016. It felt like we were on the verge of something good. Never mind eh?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Another one of my moments.Standing on the Ponty End at Oakwell with the home fans when Carlton Palmer scored a last gasp equaliser back in 1990/91 season and really struggling to contain myself.

I was at the same game, same stand, I couldn't contain myself, ended up getting a good kicking, worth it though 

5 minutes ago, s73owl said:

I was at the same game, same stand, I couldn't contain myself, ended up getting a good kicking, worth it though 

I heard that there was a bit of Agrro after the match but couldn't see where it was because i scarped off once full time had blown.

19 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Seeing us come from behind to beat the Dingles in my first game at Hillsborough and falling head over heels in love with this occasionally brilliant and usually infuriating football club... it’s been downhill from there ever since

lol 

We came from behind you say Bes ? What strange thing is this you describe 

• Haha 1

March 16th 1983

FA Cup QF  v Burnley at Hillsborough 

5-0 

Hillsborough at its very best

Fantastic atmosphere  under the lights

if I shut my eyes I can hear Bonnie Tyler belting out Total Eclipse of the Heart pre match

Followed by the very apt  Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye by Bananrama (it became a bit of an anthem for us!)

All topped off with a wonderful performance by a team that always gave their all playing in the best kit we’ve ever had

• Like 3

Guest Andy W
21 hours ago, Wednesdayite... said:

I think the title is pretty self explanatory, so allow me to give a few examples of mine. 

Lee Bullen scoring a goal as keeper. 

Wednesday being a top tier team. 

Not being allowed to go to games for a year...

2 hours ago, Freshfish said:

That was mine! What a bloody fantastic day out that was. Getting cups of tea from Elm Park residents! 

First away win in 30 plus attempts ...we were crap ...but unlike now ...  you just knew things were going to get better 

So many of those mentioned would make my top 50 or whatever. My favourite ever moment was Chris Maguire scoring last minute to beat Barnsley. Was up in the family section with my son, he was just getting to the stage where he wanted to come to games regularly, 8 years old he was. Nil nil after 90 minutes and I asked him if he wanted to leave, knowing he wouldn't. Last minute winner and he just went crazy, ran down the row of seats. His face when he was running back to me screaming is my best memory of any Wednesday game ever. When I asked him why he ran along the row of seats he just said he didn't know what to do. He was buzzing for hours. I knew then he was hooked. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Basement Jack said:

March 16th 1983

FA Cup QF  v Burnley at Hillsborough 

5-0 

Hillsborough at its very best

Fantastic atmosphere  under the lights

if I shut my eyes I can hear Bonnie Tyler belting out Total Eclipse of the Heart pre match

Followed by the very apt  Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye by Bananrama (it became a bit of an anthem for us!)

All topped off with a wonderful performance by a team that always gave their all playing in the best kit we’ve ever had

That side under Big Jack would have taken the present squad to the cleaners if the two played eached other.

1 minute ago, latemodelchild said:

That side will all be in their 70s at least by  now, they'd still beat our current team. 

Absolutely.When you think of Big Jack's team,They always gave 100% but this current side gives absolute Phook all whatsoever and that really saddens me about our current plight.

[1] Bouncing in the roof at Wembley in 1991

[2] Derby double 2009 - despite being spat in my face in the directors box at Bramhall Lane, absolutely loved the dash across town and the second half at Hillsborough.

[3] Sat in the KOP for David Hirst debut goal v Everton

[4] 20,000 shirts sold benefiting the Children hospital and also setting record income for kit sales.

[5] Waddle West Ham game

[6] Chelsea League Cup semi final at Hillsborough

[7] Not much room in the Kop as Imre ran the length of the pitch v Forest

• Like 5

4 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

I heard that there was a bit of Agrro after the match but couldn't see where it was because i scarped off once full time had blown.

There was Aggro during the match. I saw it  from the side terrace on the Ponte end and also on the opposite side where the new stand is now.

Edited by sexpistol
  • Thanks 1

On 07/03/2021 at 22:30, SiJ said:

The 2005 play off final. 

Antonio in the last minute against Carlisle. 

The Wycombe game. 

The first leg against Brighton. 

This is pretty much mine.

Loved supporting a competitive top flight team. But even if we went up, we'd never get that because much of the prem is just a survival scrap these days.

The best most clubs can hope for is a few years of boring tight lower table mediocrity. But it always catches up with you eventually. Look at Stoke, Bourmouth, West Brom, Fulham, Swansea. All had a long spell at one time but now fighting for scraps. When it catches up to you, you either return to being a bog standard Championship team or a yoyo team at best.

I expect the same will eventually happen with Burnley and Brighton. Only Leicester seem to have truly broken that pattern.

5 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

This is pretty much mine.

Loved supporting a competitive top flight team. But even if we went up, we'd never get that because much of the prem is just a survival scrap these days.

The best most clubs can hope for is a few years of boring tight lower table mediocrity. But it always catches up with you eventually. Look at Stoke, Bourmouth, West Brom, Fulham, Swansea. All had a long spell at one time but now fighting for scraps. When it catches up to you, you either return to being a bog standard Championship team or a yoyo team at best.

I expect the same will eventually happen with Burnley and Brighton. Only Leicester seem to have truly broken that pattern.

So, so true.

Last time we were promoted to top flight we finished third in the first season back. 

Even if we did ever go up, that will never happen again.

The league was competitive.

It just isn't anymore.