Shithouserry again

Breathe near a rotherham player and they roll about and go down injured. Especially when we are on the ascendancy. 

Hopefully this is something that DM is going to start doing, other teams play the ref massively against us but we don't seem to do it. We need a bit of this ourselves

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dot said:

Breathe near a rotherham player and they roll about and go down injured. Especially when we are on the ascendancy. 

Hopefully this is something that DM is going to start doing, other teams play the ref massively against us but we don't seem to do it. We need a bit of this ourselves

You’ve got to be leading first though...

What I really, really enjoyed about tonight was how our players got in the officials' ear about what was going off, and put some pressure on him to do something about it.  We didn't just shrug our shoulders and let Rotherham do what they want to kill the game.  We also didn't make it uncomfortable for the Rotherham players to just drop to the floor when they wanted and so on.  They really backed each other up as teammates tonight and were a collective presence on the pitch.

Wait...  no, that's not right is it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Said this for ages but we never learn

Our opponents always con the ref but our thick players can’t do it

This lot can’t even back each other up when they get fouled

Refs find it easy to give our opponents decisions because we don’t shout for them like they do

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dot said:

This is so unbelievably wide of the mark and irrelevant, both in terms of tonight’s game and our overall decline.  The cry for ‘Shithousery’ seems to have taken over from “we need more pace” and “we need a midfield beast” as being one of the fashionable lines to trot out.  There are so many things wrong with this club and the team on the pitch, but people seem to think all will be well with a bit of falling over, time wasting and getting in the referee’s ear.  We’re enough of a joke already without becoming a bunch of cheats.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

This is so unbelievably wide of the mark and irrelevant, both in terms of tonight’s game and our overall decline.  The cry for ‘Shithousery’ seems to have taken over from “we need more pace” and “we need a midfield beast” as being one of the fashionable lines to trot out.  There are so many things wrong with this club and the team on the pitch, but people seem to think all will be well with a bit of falling over, time wasting and getting in the referee’s ear.  We’re enough of a joke already without becoming a bunch of cheats.

Being nice guys on the pitch hasn't exactly worked out well for this lot so far.

Its not being a bunch of cheats I'm asking for.  Don't need them to go diving around, or waiving imaginary cards around.  However, we do need them to have each others backs, and start to put some pressure on opposition players and officials who see us an easy ride at the moment.  Go back to the two decent years under Carlos, we had Wallace, Loovens and Pudil who were all very good at the game management side of games, in different ways (Loovens was more subtle for example, but he was a master at it).  Most successful sides have these players that either ask questions of the referees, or keep opposition players more 'honest' when they're trying it on etc.  

• Like 2

You’d need to have shithousery for brains to seriously believe that our chaps Edwardian schoolboy efforts to Play up! play up! And play the game are constantly being thwarted by the underhand tactics of the rotters from Rotherham or elsewhere.

9 hours ago, blueandwhitematt said:

Being nice guys on the pitch hasn't exactly worked out well for this lot so far.

Its not being a bunch of cheats I'm asking for.  Don't need them to go diving around, or waiving imaginary cards around.  However, we do need them to have each others backs, and start to put some pressure on opposition players and officials who see us an easy ride at the moment.  Go back to the two decent years under Carlos, we had Wallace, Loovens and Pudil who were all very good at the game management side of games, in different ways (Loovens was more subtle for example, but he was a master at it).  Most successful sides have these players that either ask questions of the referees, or keep opposition players more 'honest' when they're trying it on etc.  

Agree that we should be better at ‘managing’ the referee, but wouldn’t regard that as shithouse tactics (as employed by the likes of Preston) which some seem to favour.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2021 at 23:40, Steve Down South said:

Steve, firstly I am 100% with your sentiment, you are spot on.

However, I have to say, over recent years I have become dismayed with this collapsing on contact. Rotherham’s right back exemplified it as did Patto. It is most prevalent in the penalty areas. Basically, as soon as a player feels bodily contact, they go down, often with a scream, as if they have been shot. Refs fall for it all the time and it is disgusting. 

Having grown to the extent it has, I have often pondered what we do about it. It is now such a huge part of the game and players/teams are definitely using it. Initially, I despaired at why referees don’t sort it out, but they haven’t over a long period. We have always been poor at it, which for a period of time, gave me a sense of pride. It is now one of the contributing factors to why we get beat so often. It’s poo, full stop. But it is here to stay until the games officials do something about it...

• Like 1

As someone who was born in 1989, my memories of the 1991 League Cup Final are non-existent. You can watch the full match on YouTube so I sat down to watch it the other day. 

The one thing that struck me was how players stayed on their feet at all costs. It was almost like a sign of weakness for you to stay down on the floor. I think 10 minutes in Nigel Worthington puts a challenge in on Dennis Irwin on the half way line. The commentator says "A strong two footed challenge there from Worthington. And the referee has given a free-kick." That's it. Irwin gets up, dusts himself off, puts the ball down and play resumes. 

The point I'm getting at is there was no crowding of the referee. No calls for a yellow (or red card), the player wasn't rolling around on the floor. It probably hurt when he got tackled too. It looked a strong one. 

Unfortunately I wasn't around to see any of the 'glory years'. Well I was, I just can't remember it. And it's sad to see what the sport has now become. 

To come back to the original point. We've always been too honest. Game management has always been poor. Just look at the amount of goals we've conceded in the last 10 minutes of a game. Just add Luton and now Rotherham to that list. 

• Like 1

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned how Rotherham players kicked the ball away when we got a free kick or throw in etc. Even kicked it away for their own free kicks and left it for our players to return it but I guess that’s all part of the game management these days

Easy way to stop it is by referees booking players for simulation, but will never happen..

Bit like the rule introduced for manhandling players in the penalty area (leading to quite a few penalties) during the World Cup in 2018.

How quick did that get removed/ignored in the proper 2018/19 football season ?

• Like 1