Neil Thompson on why he changed the tactics, formation and starting lineup

18 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

He’s done us a job. 
We’ve been lucky in a few games and we haven’t really played that well. 
Time to get someone in. We can still Get out of this mess but times running out. 

This. Although thought we had turned a corner with performance Vs Wycombe, finally picking side to get wins, get crosses over not box and play two strikers who can get goals.

Even worse was decision to drop reach, wide in a 4-4-2 gets the absolute best out of him (either on left with good delivery or right when he can cut in) just baffled by everything that went on yesterday.

The "brains trust" who came up with that completely overthinking things.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Owls Loyal said:

Not only a terrible decision but also a bizzare decision.

I thought Birmingham looked very low on confidence in the first half hour.

They were there to be got at imo.

Not likely to say this often but it Thompson wanted to change it slightly he should have learned from monk's tactics away at Birmingham against the lone striker.  There he used luongo as a deep midfield to drop into back three and start play.

• Like 2

Twenty minutes in we could all see it wasn’t working. Why the hell wouldn’t you change formation at half time?...we’ve got plenty of subs! Penney off for Reach, swap Windass for Rhodes and Bannan  back in the middle...simples. He seems a very honest, straightforward bloke...needed to be honest enough with himself to acknowledge he’d made a mistake and to leave himself enough time to correct it.

• Like 1

Alarming he changed tactics to suit an in form league beating Birmingham team.

When this club/management decide to stop being scared of the opposition and what they will do we may get somewhere. 

We are already defeated changing the team to suit the opposition, like Carlos said in his first season...  Let them worry about us. 

Poor judgement and cost us. 

Not particularly talking about NT here but I believe football punditry has a lot to do with this “overthinking”

Pro managers & coaches are gonna watch games on tv and is it too much of a stretch to imagine they get taken in by some ex-pro talking about events after they’ve happened?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Three centre-backs has worked for us in a lot of games but I didn't think it was the right way to go today.

LOL

This has worked really well so thought I’d get rid and try something else

Aye, what with us being at home where we've finally had a decent run of results and against opposition who hadn't won in 6 and only once in their last 13, you can well understand why he'd fear the opposition's set up that much that he'd change the way we play rather than them.

And yesterday, it was clear even after 10 minutes that the 4-4-2 wasn't giving us anything. We even had the players on the pitch to change to 3-5-2, but nah, let's stick with the failed plan.

Games against those around us are the 'must win' games, we have failed to do that so many times this season and it's costing us dearly, the striker I would have dropped yesterday was Paterson not Rhodes, I'm sorry to say but Paterson flatters to deceive, nice bloke I'm sure, great to have around the team, but lumping the ball forward in his direction is a very poor game plan, he makes old Atdhe Nuhiu look like Marco Van Basten.

We need to try and play a bit more controlled football in the middle of the park but we leave players like kachunga, Brown, Deli Basharu and Reach on the bench so we can launch the ball from back to front, we can criticise most of our player's performances on and off this season but three of those players barely get a sniff despite the continuous garbage being served up on the park by some of the regulars, I really don't get it.

I could write an hour long rant here, but simply put, the shockingly dumbfounded approach to many games this season has been as annoying as the performances, but more worryingly performances like yesterday's will send us down to League 1.

Guest Bulgaria

I would suggest that if having  coach badges is a requirement for top positions, then on the tactical evidence of Monk/Pulis and now Thompson I would be advising DC to hire someone who ain't got them.

What's the exam at these coaching courses?

" Hey up lads, get yer keeper to take 5 minutes to put a ball down, then get him to lump it forward in the vain hope that your striker can get his head on it regardless of whether his colleagues are anywhere near it"

Cheers lads, pick your certificate up on the way out.

2 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I would suggest that if having  coach badges is a requirement for top positions, then on the tactical evidence of Monk/Pulis and now Thompson I would be advising DC to hire someone who ain't got them.

What's the exam at these coaching courses?

" Hey up lads, get yer keeper to take 5 minutes to put a ball down, then get him to lump it forward in the vain hope that your striker can get his head on it regardless of whether his colleagues are anywhere near it"

Cheers lads, pick your certificate up on the way out.

Anybody independent and clear thinking benefits from a formalised learning environment as long as they remain independent and clear minded after the event.

IE.. take in what is on offer and utilise the parts that YOU think are worthwhile.

Not everybody can do that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

But it’s not Thompson’s fault for getting it wrong tactically. It’s because the accounts were filed late we lost that game 

It's because the owner has taken 10 weeks and counting to find the right man that we have a novice in charge of the first team during a relegation battle.