Neil Thompson on why he changed the tactics, formation and starting lineup

2 hours ago, Mister Soul said:

Agreed. He’s done well overall but  there was always going to be hiccups. However I think anyone connected to the club ( except DC it seems) recognises that we need a strong , experienced manager to keep us up. 

Isn't that strong, experienced manager what Pulis was supposed to be?

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

I'm no tactician but whatever the plan was he needs to bin it coz that was fecking awful yesterday......

Thing is, it was clearly fecking awful after 30 minutes and 45 minutes.

What on Earth made him stick with it to the 74th minute?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's because the owner has taken 10 weeks and counting to find the right man that we have a novice in charge of the first team during a relegation battle.

Doesn’t take a veteran to know it’s Rhodes over Windass though, does it 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Doesn’t take a veteran to know it’s Rhodes over Windass though, does it 

No, but Thompson has no experience at this level and wouldn't be appointed to a managerial job at any EFL club, doesn't seem like something he was interested in. He is a coach, mainly at youth level and leaving him in charge of a club of our size for 10 weeks and counting during a relegation battle is not ideal. 

2 hours ago, Minesapint said:

I have supported NT so far, but I think this shows a real lack of experience.

We went into this game with an excellent recent home record, against a team lacking confidence and one we needed to win. 
So what do we do. Instead of playing the game that has allowed us to have that home record we change our system. 
Sadly that for me shows a lack of confidence and how we need someone with real strength of character to take us forward

This ^^^^^^

I've supported Thompson too, but the reasoning behind making changes shows he isn't management material. 

The problem is that NT's Dunkley substitution cost us badly at Stoke in mid week and the formation and set up cost us badly yesterday against a very average Birmingham team that seemed to lack any confidence at all in the opening half hour.

Many will remember that Irvine was obsessed with taliking up the opposition and putiing out the Wednesday team accordingly.

And if I am not mistaken Irvine was in charge the last time we went down into League One.

I don't think it matters too much which formation we went for yesterday. It wasn't a problem with the formation it was lack of spirit/fight/desire, they all come down to the same thing, a desire to win.

I'm still baffled why we are dreadful against rubbish teams and can win well against good teams. It doesn't make sense. If we had played yesterday like we did at Bournemouth we would have walked it.

• Like 1

Just now, Costello 77 said:

It's all there in Matchday.

Have a look and you may have to concede that Wednesdayites aren't as clueless as you like to think.

But keep on bashing the fans mate... it's all you're good for.

So an experienced carpenter is making a door and they should listen to loads of opinions from others who have no experience in carpentry to make it in a different way?

So "fan bashing" = unpopular(realistic) opinion?

It appears many fans see it as a computer game. Theres a slot to be filled, just play the best player for that position.

Don't worry about the player's physical or mental state or any other nuances in character or situations that might exist.

It's just so simple...

1 minute ago, slinger208b said:

So an experienced carpenter is making a door and they should listen to loads of opinions from others who have no experience in carpentry to make it in a different way?

So "fan bashing" = unpopular(realistic) opinion?

It appears many fans see it as a computer game. Theres a slot to be filled, just play the best player for that position.

Don't worry about the player's physical or mental state or any other nuances in character or situations that might exist.

It's just so simple...

I think that the point is that anybody who's watched a bit of football (our entire fanbase) could see where he'd gone wrong yesterday.

Before and after the game.

If you think that commenting on yesterday's manifest tactical failure is beyond you because it's too complex for fans to understand I'd suggest that you stay out of discussions that involve tactics and management.

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I think that the point is that anybody who's watched a bit of football (our entire fanbase) could see where he'd gone wrong yesterday.

Before and after the game.

If you think that commenting on yesterday's manifest tactical failure is beyond you because it's too complex for fans to understand I'd suggest that you stay out of discussions that involve tactics and management.

😂

So anyone that's "watched a bit of football" is more qualified to offer a valid opinion over the experienced manager?

"I can do better, I've watched loads of matches on TV, AND played loads of games on t'computer"

Delusional...

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

So our fans are wrong about Garry Monk , Jos Luhukay and Tony Pulis style/tactics?

My point is, it's not as simple as "just do this" or "just do that".

There are a lot of factors to consider and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I disagree with claiming what should or shouldn't have been done by those not in NTs position...