Matt Penney loan move?

Neil Thompson on Matt Penney's potential loan move

"As far as I’m concerned nothing is concrete on his links away. He has to force the issue.

It has been a stop-start season for him. Matt knows what he needs to do, he has talent but he’s got things he needs to brush up on"

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Get him playing left back here.

I think Thompsons just pointed out theres more he needs to do if he wants to. 

So its not on Thompson to get him playing, its up to Penney to improve on whatever he's clearly been told to. 

• Like 3

I thought Penney looked very promising in pre-season, but he has been a disappointment so far when it comes to the league. When he came on the other day all I saw him do was give the ball away.

Hopefully he does kick on and force himself into the team through good performances in training and on the pitch. I particularly liked the look of his corner taking and he puts in a much better cross than I've seen from any of our other players. I expected to see more of him under Pulis because of that.

Edited by Dan™
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

I thought Penney looked very promising in pre-season, but he has been a disappointment so far when it comes to the league. When he came on the other day all I saw him do was give the ball away.

Hopefully he does kick on and force himself into the team through good performances in training and on the pitch. I particularly liked the look of his corner taking and he puts in a much better cross than I've seen from any of our other players. I expected to see more of him under Pulis because of that.

Agree with this. Still only 22. He's not the immediate answer to our LB issue this season. 

Guest LondonOwl313
48 minutes ago, kristmace said:

Agree with this. Still only 22. He's not the immediate answer to our LB issue this season. 

Trent Alexander Arnold is younger than him.. if he was going to make it I think we’d have seen more of him by now.

Its a shame because he does have some talent with the ball but he doesn’t do enough without it. Pretty sure that’s why none of the managers will select him

39 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Is he not a good trainer or got a bad attitude? Seen a couple managers now that seem to hint at this, or maybe I’m looking at it wrong and it’s purely football based 

My view based on nothing but watching him play. But it is that he doesn’t seem to like the ugly side of the game.  Its like he has studied Roberto Carlos to model himself on and had switched off when he ain't got the football at his feet in the games.

If you could combine his talent on the ball with Pelupessy's effort off it. You would definitely have a left sided Fullback/Wingback that is far to good for the championship.

• Like 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Let’s hope the PENNEY drops for Matt.

Get it? 

If you dropped an E that make more sense :ph34r:

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Trent Alexander Arnold is younger than him.. if he was going to make it I think we’d have seen more of him by now.

Its a shame because he does have some talent with the ball but he doesn’t do enough without it. Pretty sure that’s why none of the managers will select him

Don’t understand this. Trents a world class full back who made his debut when he was 18. 

Guest LondonOwl313
9 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Don’t understand this. Trents a world class full back who made his debut when he was 18. 

That was my point really.. people saying Penney is still young but in football terms some of his peers have already made the breakthrough. If Penney was going to make it at this level I’d expect we’d have seen more from him by this age

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yep, you're probably right. 

He was a left winger originally if I remember right. He's not good enough going forward to be a Championship midfielder. 

Problem is his intensity. He just vanishes from games at times. When he is involved he is very good but then in next game just goes missing. His defending has improved but that is weak point. Lets hope he can step up to mark as no doubt he has talent.

Penny has been blacklisted by the emporer. 

So we may as well let him go. However, the emporer isn't keen on letting his blacklisted players go as he prefers the Thrill he gets from the power and control he exerts. 

Edited by Mrmason69
  • Like 1