Nixon - Short list

33 minutes ago, striker said:

I thought that. If DC is taking his time to get this decision right (for a change), surely we need to commit.

Otherwise, we're fishing in a pretty shitty pool of opportunists, just here for the money. If there isn't any commitment on either side, how do players (and fans) buy into anything the new manager says, knowing he'll be on his bike in a couple of months. 

Exactly what I was thinking. We need someone to build the club up, someone the fans and players believe in, none of this short term crap. It isn’t good for anyone. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, bringing in a new manager for a couple of months is a waste of time. If that's the plan, may as well be honest with the players and ask them to get behind Thompson with the aim of survival.

Whoever it is, it needs to happen soon.

Transfer/loan  window now open and we need at least 3 to come in IMO.

The current squad alone will struggle to keep us up.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I don’t see this as the right time for especially Hunt and Waldock to make a difference. The pressure is going to be immense. Shaw maybe different 

I know what you mean but these lads might be all he has available come the end of January? Pessimistic I know but if offers come in for Bannan and Reach, who knows which way we’ll go?

2 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Whoever it is, it needs to happen soon.

Transfer/loan  window now open and we need at least 3 to come in IMO.

The current squad alone will struggle to keep us up.

spot on. We need players in now. We can’t wait until the end of the window. 

The contract term from DC is always a bit non-comital - didn't CC just have some sort of gentlemen's agreement; Jos/Bruce/Monk all appeared to on 1-yr rolling deals. I imagine TP was the same or until the end of the season with a bonus payment.

One thing if for sure, DC doesn't appear to like long-term/traditional 3/4 year deals when it comes to his manager.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, BRUCE LEE said:

Sorry I thought the original post was crystal clear 

It was in respect of how our strategy is destined to fail from the start

We’re looking to appoint the next manager on a deal that rolls until the end of the season, re-sign players on multiple year deals with no idea of knowing they will actually fit into the managers plans, and we’re plodding into the repeat scenario of a vast, unbalanced, expensive squad that won’t compete in the top half of the league whilst the clubs loses record amounts 

The end of the season is only speculation by Nixon

1 minute ago, Animis said:

The contract term from DC is always a bit non-comital - didn't CC just have some sort of gentlemen's agreement; Jos/Bruce/Monk all appeared to on 1-yr rolling deals. I imagine TP was the same or until the end of the season with a bonus payment.

One thing if for sure, DC doesn't appear to like long-term/traditional 3/4 year deals when it comes to his manager.

Thank god.

It would be suicidal to give a manager a 3/4 contract in our current climate.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

I know we aren't in a position to be picky like,  but how do these managers even get to a stage where there on our shortlist? Surly dc looks at there cvs and sees they’ve done absolute nothing in football! So why does he think they are good enough to come here? I just done understand his thought process. 

Those are the kind of questions that the journos SHOULD ask, yet often don't for whatever reason. I'd think though it's a very fair question to ask especially if the likes of Baltazzar or what ever he's called is appointed. What from their CV makes you think they are the man for the job?

Over to you Mr Chairman.......................................

Perfectly fair to ask.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Thank god.

It would be suicidal to give a manager a 3/4 contract in our current climate.

Possibly, but at some point we need to steady the ship and build over 3 years - Bruce alluded to this.

1 yr rolling contracts are fine, but it doesn't present confidence from the club in my eyes - it more says limit compensation to 12 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I think Thompson is the more likely appointment if we’re only looking to the end of the season. A gamble, granted but at least he’d get a shift out of the players as we already have seen. I still think his knowledge of Shaw, Hunt, Waldock et al may prove crucial for the rest of the season?

This sounds like a post from somebody who had a wager on him.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

Ok then.. how the hell does paxo come up with these people? 

Probably looks at his list of clients or looks at a list of the worst managers available.

I wonder if he's a secret agent for our neighbours.... it would explain a lot.lol

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Quist said:

This sounds like a post from somebody who had a wager on him.

If you read my earlier posts you’d know that. He’s where the value is given they pay out after 10 games as caretaker. Being the betting expert you undoubtedly are, where do think the value is?

11 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

If its Baltazar...I hope he brings his backroom staff...Gaspar and Melchior

Who in turn need to bring the appropriate gifts. We are in great need. They can leave the camels though. Not much call for them in Sheffield.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jim said:

If you read my earlier posts you’d know that. He’s where the value is given they pay out after 10 games as caretaker. Being the betting expert you undoubtedly are, where do think the value is?

Cook at 16-1

Guest gizowl
1 hour ago, Southside Owl said:

As a Cook fan thats reassuring to hear ...but aren't Biggs and Cook are quite pally anyway ?

Yes I think so from his Chesterfield days. 

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

You got him a while ago then? I backed Thompson at 12s before a ball was kicked against M’Boro. Still think the Windass situation will go against Cook. 

I backed him last time, no certainty.

I have just read up on rules since Brexit for appointing overseas managers. They have to be employed as manager for a period of 24 months consecutively or 36 months in total over last 5 years. This is in any band of football between1 and 5 so most football would qualify.

It would be touch and go for those on Nixon's list certain some will not qualify

However the qualifications for assistants are much more strict in most jobs require a degree qualification ad 5 years experience. This would mean armada of staff CC brought with him would not happen. 

Therefore think new rules will work heavily against foreign coaches. I understand Watford's new coach would not have satisfied conditions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, marshy said:

Those are the kind of questions that the journos SHOULD ask, yet often don't for whatever reason. I'd think though it's a very fair question to ask especially if the likes of Baltazzar or what ever he's called is appointed. What from their CV makes you think they are the man for the job?

Over to you Mr Chairman.......................................

Perfectly fair to ask.

Exactly. And if he says...” I like his style of play” the follow up question should be... but he’s been unsuccessful so far. How is he going to be different here? 

Honestly they should just let us fans interview them 😂

• Haha 1