Rooney - Pitch not great

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Mate, the players in the 80's and before weren't athletes like they are now.  Bannan would run rings round ANY player from then.  Most of them were out on the p*ss all week and half of them smoked FFS!

I'm just trying to imagine Bannan ( who I think is our best player by miles ) running rings round Sheridan, Palmer, Wilson, Harkes and Co.

Or oddjob and Palmer dealing with Sterland or Irish marauding. 

Give your head and wobble .

What's next Pelupessy would steamroller Souness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Question is why. Its a multi million pound desso pitch. Should be pristine. Why isn't it? 

At the end of last season there wasn't time to reseed the top surface due to the covid, the season finished late. And it was a quick turnaround before the new season allot of other clubs had the same problem this season.

15 minutes ago, sage owl said:

I'm just trying to imagine Bannan ( who I think is our best player by miles ) running rings round Sheridan, Palmer, Wilson, Harkes and Co.

You're missing the point.  The game has moved on.  I'm not talking about beating them at their own game.  Souness could still kick lumps out of Messi today.  But the game has changed, and modern players would beat teams from before the 90's.

There's a reason Usain Bolt was faster than Jessie Owens.  There's a reason people throw further, run faster and jump higher than ever.  

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

20 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

You're missing the point.  The game has moved on.  I'm not talking about beating them at their own game.  Souness could still kick lumps out of Messi today.  But the game has changed, and modern players would beat teams from before the 90's.

There's a reason Usain Bolt was faster than Jessie Owens.  There's a reason people throw further, run faster and jump higher than ever.  

No you're missing the point. 

Unarguably the players at SWFC are fitter and in better condition than their predecessors but and it's a massive but they're rubbish and wouldn't run rings round decent players from the eighties. 

As an example I played against Johnny Quinns ( RIP )all stars a couple of times we were young fit and full of running. They were retired but won because they were better than us. 

Just now, sage owl said:

No you're missing the point. 

Unarguably the players at SWFC are fitter and in better condition than their predecessors but and it's a massive but they're rubbish and wouldn't run rings round decent players from the eighties. 

As an example I played against Johnny Quinns ( RIP )all stars a couple of times we were young fit and full of running. They were retired but won because they were better than us. 

I'm not saying a sunday league team would beat them.  I'm saying a set of professionals in the second tier would beat a set of professionals from the top tier.  They would.  Christ, teams from the second tier THIS year will be beating teams from the top tier next year.  You don't think the game has moved on at all in 40 years?

Just not bothered...

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Mate, the players in the 80's and before weren't athletes like they are now.  Bannan would run rings round ANY player from then.  Most of them were out on the p*ss all week and half of them smoked FFS!

The current Wednesday team would not run rings around the Wednesday team that finished top 6 in the 80's.

Yes they are fitter now but they weren't so unfit in the 80's that they couldn't go all out for 90 minutes. They enjoyed themselves and a long season would take its toll but Wilkinson had them very well drilled and fit. Our team weren't carrying beer bellies. Do you think Paterson would is much fitter than Megson was?

1 minute ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

See Rotherham’s game is off due to snow on the pitch. Three games due to Covid and now a dusting of snow. Hope the EFL hump them with a points deduction as they were clamouring for us to get. Feel for the clubs they have messed around. 

Postponing a game for a little snowfall like this in the Championship in 2021 should not be happening. No need for it at all. 

2 hours ago, sage owl said:

Bang on 

Bannan wouldn't last 2 minutes against someone like Jimmy Case.

• Like 1

Eric Taylor was always dead against roofing the Kop saying that it would affect the drying out of the pitch and the amount of sunlight to promote growth. Not only was the Kop roof put on but the South Stand was made higher creating a longer shadow across the pitch in winter months (hence the need for artificial lights).This coupled with a lot of precipitation seems to be making the pitch look vaguely brown/yellow in places and it looks like the top 2 or 3 inches are ripping up badly. Hopefully it will get a bit of a rest for a week or so before it’s next used and with the days gradually getting longer now it may perk up a little. If in doubt DC will need to send for the Green Thumb man!🤪

7 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Sour grapes. Came with the thought that we would roll over. For all their possession they did not create enough. We had more shots on target. Thanks for the three points!

Didn't stop them creating chances in the 1st half.

4 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

All sports have moved on. But skill levels and the things that can’t be taught are the leveller.

I can drive a golf ball 280 yards all day long. So why am I not mixing it with Matt Fitzpatrick.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

All sports have moved on. But skill levels and the things that can’t be taught are the leveller.

I can drive a golf ball 280 yards all day long. So why am I not mixing it with Matt Fitzpatrick.

Again missing the point.

Would Matt Fitzpatrick be winning majors in 1970?  I'd say probably yes.

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Again missing the point.

Would Matt Fitzpatrick be winning majors in 1970?  I'd say probably yes.

Not sure if you know much about golf, but based on your answer I’d say not.

Tell me how close Fitzpatrick has come to winning a major. Tell me about the clubs, sponsorship deals and exposure to world golf he pull have had.

How many British golfers were winning majors in the 70s ?

Nobody has missed your point, they’ve just argued with you because they don’t agree with you.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Not sure if you know much about golf, but based on your answer I’d say not.

Tell me how close Fitzpatrick has come to winning a major. Tell me about the clubs, sponsorship deals and exposure to world golf he pull have had.

How many British golfers were winning majors in the 70s ?

Nobody has missed your point, they’ve just argued with you because they don’t agree with you.

And what does any of that have to do with the question at hand?  Would he be up there and winning majors if you parachuted him in to the 70's.  I know club and ball technology has changed things, but lets let him keep his modern kit and go up against the guys at the time with theirs (similar to boots and balls in football).

I can't think of one single sport that hasn't progressed in leaps and bounds in the last 50 years, where the OK, not world beating athletes, but decent pros couldn't beat the top guys of 30/40/50 years ago.

Just not bothered...

7 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Most of them were out on the p*ss all week and half of them smoked FFS!

I'd play a brilliant footballer with a hangover over a player with limited ability every time.

If pulis had to pick a wednesday team today to stop, Hirst and co.. his head would explode