Rooney - Pitch not great

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

Question is why. Its a multi million pound desso pitch. Should be pristine. Why isn't it? 

They don't last forever and they're only as good as their maintenance.

I know one of the lads who laid it and got chatting about it.  He was telling me they did Spurs' new ground and their training facility.  They have something like 30 ground staff, 10 just for the stadium pitch.  Their maintenance is 1st class and they expect the Desso to last 2 years max.  Ours is 5 (?) years old now and I very much doubt if we have 10 of the best ground staff and equipment in the world.

The drainage was improved but it's never going to be perfect as it sits about a foot above the water table.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

They don't last forever and they're only as good as their maintenance.

I know one of the lads who laid it and got chatting about it.  He was telling me they did Spurs' new ground and their training facility.  They have something like 30 ground staff, 10 just for the stadium pitch.  Their maintenance is 1st class and they expect the Desso to last 2 years max.  Ours is 5 (?) years old now and I very much doubt if we have 10 of the best ground staff and equipment in the world.

The drainage was improved but it's never going to be perfect as it sits about a foot above the water table.

Interesting. I wonder if we're going to see it get a lot worse then over the next 12 months.

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

Question is why. Its a multi million pound desso pitch. Should be pristine. Why isn't it? 

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

Absolute horsesh..t

Was thinking the same lol

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Is it really that bad!?

When I was flailing around on village greens thirty years ago we could only dream of playing on a surface like the current Hillsborough one. Our ground had a stagnant muddy area right in the centre circle... it would go up past your ankles, no kidding.

I now watch my grandson on similar pitches and they just get on with it.

Its no excuse I know, Hillsborough should be one of the best, but if your pitch is built on top of a river then there’s gonna be drainage issues. The ball didn’t look like it was sticking last night but the surface did cut up a little.

We’ll go to little old Exeter next week and their playing surface will make ours look like the trenches 

They don’t know they’re born these modern day ‘ballers in their ballet shoes.

once took the school second team to play another North London school, reyt quagmire of a pitch, one of their players belted the ball from 12 yards out, our goalie Brendan dived full length to keep it out...

it never even reached him...it just stuck in a massive puddle in the goal area, Brendan dragged himself up an pounced forward about 3 yards to grab it. When he stood up he looked like something out of “The Swamp Thing”. I was meanwhile, on the line weeing me sen....then I thought whose gonna wesh his kit?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Looks like it's been narrowed ny about 4/5 yards on each side. Not sure if that was a Pulis decision?

It was Monk you have to decide the dimensions at the start of the year and stick with them.

2 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Interesting. I wonder if we're going to see it get a lot worse then over the next 12 months.

It's not going to get any better until the weather improves I wouldn't have thought.  But going forward it will basically just become a regular grass pitch as the Desso will be redundant (unless it gets redone, which seems unlikely with current money issues).

Just not bothered...

Love all you old blokes talking about how bad pitches used to be and how they don't know they're born.  Difference was in those days, nobody played with the ball on the floor!  It was impossible.  That's why modern players/managers moan, because they play with the ball on the floor at all times (unless you're Tony Pulis).

• Haha 3

Just not bothered...

Just now, mattitheowl said:

Love all you old blokes talking about how bad pitches used to be and how they don't know they're born.  Difference was in those days, nobody played with the ball on the floor!  It was impossible.  That's why modern players/managers moan, because they play with the ball on the floor at all times (unless you're Tony Pulis).

Well that’s a load of cobblers

lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

Derby's Baseball ground pitch, never had a blade of grass on it....... 

Cantona would have never stood a chance.... 

The Baseball ground we played at when Martin Hodge landed on his head on a frozen pitch 

It had more sand than ruddy Skeggy

Was telling my lad about games at Hillsborough where the half to the South Stand was frozen and the North Stand side sort of playable 

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Well they did play football. The long ball game didn’t come into play until about 1983 

Remember some of us actually went to games in that era 

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Well they did play football. The long ball game didn’t come into play until about 1983 

Remember some of us actually went to games in that era 

It was hardly Ticky Tacka though was it!  

I dare say even our average lot now would outplay even the best sides we've had pre-1990.

• Haha 3

Just not bothered...

10 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

I’m only 27! 😜

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Why are people still living in the 1970s ffs.

The pitch looks poor to me and needs sorting. 

I don’t give a monkeys if pitches were even worse back in the 1970s. It’s 2021 and our pitch is getting worse. Could be contributing to the amount of injuries we’re getting too. 

Deeply, deeply sorry...I thought it most amusing at the time, many apologies for ruining your day🧐

• Haha 2