Rooney - Pitch not great

I suppose it's a mixture of things that's created it's current state - recent weather, time of year, age from laying in 2015, drainage, air circulation, maintenance & preparation.

I was thinking whether the grass can grow with the undersoil heating on to get the soil temp to +10 degrees and get the sun lamps on. Maybe not but surely we can get the pitch looking and playing better.

I took the time to watch the interview again. I love the expression on Rooneys face. Literally like he’s thrown up in his mouth and he’s trying to swallow it without being sick again. Lovely to see!

The advantage of watching it of course is I actually saw what he said which was ‘pitch wasn’t great but we still managed to play and pass on it ok’. 

So a) the pitch isn’t great. He’s right. But he didn’t say it was awful b) he didn’t blame the pitch for the loss. He actually attributed it to Wednesday’s ability to keep them out and then make them play our game. Pretty fair analysis for a losing manager.
He didn’t even blame the loss on the pen decision. He said it was a pen in his opinion but never said ‘it cost us the game’

For me Rooney seemed articulate and knowledgeable. I suspect he’ll do Ok there. For me that makes our victory more sweet and more important! There’s nothing better than getting a vital win over someone good!

Anyway, everyone should watch the vid just to see Rooneys face as described at the beginning of my post. Beautiful sight!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Rooney wouldn't have mentioned it had Derby won.

Maybe a bit of the "Fergie" influence coming out.

Yeah, definitely. I remember when we beat Fergie once in the late 90's he complained that the pitch was too 'lush' and his team couldn't adapt because they had played on that car park roof pitch at Monaco the previous midweek. So its either too green or not green enough.

1 hour ago, sage owl said:

Bull@@@@ the side we've got now wouldn't outplay the 1880's side never mind the 1980's.

Mate, the players in the 80's and before weren't athletes like they are now.  Bannan would run rings round ANY player from then.  Most of them were out on the p*ss all week and half of them smoked FFS!

Just not bothered...

4 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Mate, the players in the 80's and before weren't athletes like they are now.  Bannan would run rings round ANY player from then.  Most of them were out on the p*ss all week and half of them smoked FFS!

Most of ours last night played like they were píssed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Question is why. Its a multi million pound desso pitch. Should be pristine. Why isn't it? 

Groundstaff can’t be the best can it?

My Godson is a groundsman for the FA, looks after the pitches at the training ground at Burton, went to Russia with the England squad to look after our training facilities there, on best mate / first name terms with Southgate and all the players. I asked him to apply for a job at Hillsborough the last time one came up and he just laughed. Mind you, he’s a Man Utd supporter from Blackpool. Said the money didn’t look good either.

Gets me tickets for Wembley if I want any. Just my luck that since he got the job, our play-off chances have gone down the carsy.

2 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

This sort of thing is where the club don’t communicate with fans. 
We are all a bit geeky when it comes to these sort of things but we genuinely want to know why the pitch is so poor. 

I'd say it largely due to the compressed schedule at the end of last season and this season. Plus a shortened recovery period at the end of last season means the damage repairs won't have had time to establish properly. Then factor in the amount if wet stuff from the heavens we've had in the last few weeks. Any pitch played as much as they are at the moment will struggle.