Rooney - Pitch not great

35 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

And what does any of that have to do with the question at hand?  Would he be up there and winning majors if you parachuted him in to the 70's.  I know club and ball technology has changed things, but lets let him keep his modern kit and go up against the guys at the time with theirs (similar to boots and balls in football).

I can't think of one single sport that hasn't progressed in leaps and bounds in the last 50 years, where the OK, not world beating athletes, but decent pros couldn't beat the top guys of 30/40/50 years ago.

As I said, you know little of the sport. 
Fairways are wider, course designs are easier. Rough grass doesn’t exist on some courses. And if you think MF, as great as he is, with the aid of modern technology and longer hitting clubs, could outperform Tom Watson or Jack Nicklaus over a decade, I’m afraid you are off your proverbial rocker.

It’s about raw ability.

Why, in polls of best footballers ever, do Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff, Beckenbauer constantly get mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

As I said, you know little of the sport. 
Fairways are wider, course designs are easier. Rough grass doesn’t exist on some courses. And if you think MF, as great as he is, with the aid of modern technology and longer hitting clubs, could outperform Tom Watson or Jack Nicklaus over a decade, I’m afraid you are off your proverbial rocker.

It’s about raw ability.

Why, in polls of best footballers ever, do Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff, Beckenbauer constantly get mentioned. 

Because they can only reliably be measured in their time.  If you are the greatest of a generation you will look great.  Pele was so good because he was the first who could ride the horror tackles of the time.  Cruyff brought new trickery to the game.  Maradona similar.  But if you put Pele on a pitch today, I doubt if he'd be seen as the greatest ever.

It's more than just raw ability.  There are plenty of athletes out there with raw ability who don't make it.

• Haha 1

Just not bothered...

42 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Because they can only reliably be measured in their time.  If you are the greatest of a generation you will look great.  Pele was so good because he was the first who could ride the horror tackles of the time.  Cruyff brought new trickery to the game.  Maradona similar.  But if you put Pele on a pitch today, I doubt if he'd be seen as the greatest ever.

It's more than just raw ability.  There are plenty of athletes out there with raw ability who don't make it.

You've come back to this thread but not answered this one yet.

Still waiting to see how Paterson, Reach and co would give the likes of Megson and Marwood the run around.

6 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The current Wednesday team would not run rings around the Wednesday team that finished top 6 in the 80's.

Yes they are fitter now but they weren't so unfit in the 80's that they couldn't go all out for 90 minutes. They enjoyed themselves and a long season would take its toll but Wilkinson had them very well drilled and fit. Our team weren't carrying beer bellies. Do you think Paterson would is much fitter than Megson was?

Seems most managers are coming to the mighty Hillsborough and complaining!!!! Means we are getting to them and results are coming our way so carry on with the poo pitch is say. However its not in the best shape - there s a few like it though and the short summer hasnt helped though. I know they was advertsing for a new head man and assistant 18 months ago so obviuosly those staff left and the replacements either have limited experiecne or have left also...i know one lad went to rotherham as groundsman and there game is off!!!! at least we had our game on a day earlier in freezing temps. One observation from other neyt was there was some black covers next to dugout area? thought we had undersoil heating? has the gas been cut off 🥶

18 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

All sports have moved on. But skill levels and the things that can’t be taught are the leveller.

I can drive a golf ball 280 yards all day long. So why am I not mixing it with Matt Fitzpatrick.

Because your short game and putting is rubbish lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mannyowl said:

Seems most managers are coming to the mighty Hillsborough and complaining!!!! Means we are getting to them and results are coming our way so carry on with the poo pitch is say. However its not in the best shape - there s a few like it though and the short summer hasnt helped though. I know they was advertsing for a new head man and assistant 18 months ago so obviuosly those staff left and the replacements either have limited experiecne or have left also...i know one lad went to rotherham as groundsman and there game is off!!!! at least we had our game on a day earlier in freezing temps. One observation from other neyt was there was some black covers next to dugout area? thought we had undersoil heating? has the gas been cut off 🥶

No undersoil heating at New York stadium ,guess that's the trouble

The truth about the pitch is that it hasn't done well in the winter in the past few years in spite of the Desso surface.

The pictures show February 2018 and February 2019, both at times when we had the sunlights in operation.2012357451_22Feb2018.thumb.JPG.5637950a64595b106b059b6abf6c7c4f.JPG741237902_22Feb2018(2).thumb.JPG.c4669f7fa0e98ec5253703bd0ddd5853.JPG attached show February 2018 and also 

23 Feb 2019.JPG