4 games in, how's he doing

Just now, @owlstalk said:

We've not won a game

We're not getting shots on target

We're in relegation form

1 minute ago, markowl said:

I was addressing your point that EVERY team has a new manager bounce.

New manager bounce is a myth.

Pulis is here now.

I absolutely didn't want him.

But he's here. I'm not expecting great football. I've got my doubts it will even be ‘okay’. I do hope it will at least be functional though.

Our forward line options are extremely poor. From the rest of the squad we can produce a serviceable defence and midfield; not a great one, but adequate. What we do in the January window will determine the outcome of our season.

Still, 4 games is 4 games. Just as 58 games (under Monk) is 58 games.

Reference to anything other than tentative signs of progress (or even regression) is meaningless.

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I'd give him a non-committal C. The players showed spirit last night - admittedly that first pen so early in the 2nd half could have changed things hugely - but the sendings off make it hard to judge 2 of his games. His defensive tendencies will be naturally exaggerated  by being a man down. It can be a cop out as it allows for total concentration on defence but with this team it's hard to see what else he could have done. 

I don't necessarily buy the hard games excuse. Anyone can genuinely beat anyone in this division. Luton beat Norwich. We beat Bournemouth. We shouldn't be going into games with the sole aim of not getting hammered. I didn't like the fact that we were just sitting there waiting for Reading to attack us - even at 11 v 1. I'm not sure we'll be able to maintain that stance with fans in the ground - but it's early days. 

I agree. Great point on his defensive tendencies will be naturally exaggerated by being a man down. I would expect to go 4-4-1, but twice he has dropped to a 5-3-1 while we have been drawing. One game we lost, the other we were very lucky for a draw/point.

28 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Neil makes a valid point. We play no different now to how we played under monk. 

Its dreadful to watch and worse it isn't effective. We are not dangerous in any attacking situations. We aren't quick , we arent great passers of the ball, we arent dangerous from set pieces. 

We have no identity and Pulis hasn't changed that. We are very solid yes. But at what cost.

Reading are a decent side but they arent real Madrid. As soon as we scored last night it was an immediate retreat and batten down the hatches hoping we survive. Then the red changed that even more. 

Pulis quite simply has to win the next game. 4 without a win is bad enough but 5 games without a win is a dreadful start for a new manager. 

Im with Neil on this one, think we have brought the wrong man in here.... 

I agree. I was wanting/happy with Pulis before and after his appointment, but I'm starting to change my mind. He has made us more organised in defense, got Reach playing good again, are set plays when actually have worked have been good and are performance at Swansea was great. But aside from that, it's been the same as monk so far. We sit too deep, are too defensive/cautious and invite pressure on too much for my liking. Which makes it even harder for us to even score to secure a point or get a win. People are saying we will win the next games coming up and do well after bringing in two strikers in January, the thing about it is "IF" we do it/are successful. Bringing some strikers in isn't going to solve all are problems necessarily, we will still be defensive and try and edge games out. Also how are the strikers going to get chances to score? Hopefully somethings start improving in the coming favorable games on paper. If not are only hope is that Pulis's players in January will work out, if not we are relegated. The people warning us about Pulis may have been right and I can hold my hands up and say sorry I was wrong. I feel terrible thinking all this, I was excited with a new manager, but I think he's to similar a manager as monk and is the wrong man like you said. All this is after 4 games with 2 being played mostly with 10 men, but I don't think he will change how he sets the team up to play. Like rickygoo kinda said he is defensive in nature and you can't change that. Anyway that's my view for people to agree or disagree with, thanks for reading if you did. I will give my grade and points at another time.

Guest FoxOwl12

How's he doing? Amazing with what he has at his disposal. I'm not getting into the Monk v Pulis argument, he's gone and Pulis is here, so absolutely no point. I think all the detractors need to wait until the transfer window. We all know where our problems lie and that is up front. His assistant is also a scout, and I would be surprised if they haven't already identified who they want to bring in.

Guest Manwithastick

If we keep this sort of stuff up (and it’s been a very consistent start for TP) we’ll not make it out of the bottom 3 all season.

D11FBF20-A5EA-4CE4-8D19-1CF9566B0EB9.jpeg

3 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

1 shot on target recently and that was the Reach goal. That is criminal. We need to start getting some wins in. Won't survive drawing every game

I hope Paterson's goal yesterday counts as on target too 😄 But your point still stands, draws are not enough to survive.

1 hour ago, FoxOwl12 said:

How's he doing? Amazing with what he has at his disposal. I'm not getting into the Monk v Pulis argument, he's gone and Pulis is here, so absolutely no point. I think all the detractors need to wait until the transfer window. We all know where our problems lie and that is up front. His assistant is also a scout, and I would be surprised if they haven't already identified who they want to bring in.

If amazing is no wins, less than a point a game, a shot a match and only one clean sheet in 4, I would hate to see what bad is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Stop trying to make it personal 

Tell us - in your opinion - how many games does Pulis get to settle in before any criticism is justified?

Personal?

There's nothing personal in that. I mention 2 managers I've never met and have no personal interest in.

3 hours ago, WC1Owl said:

Too early to tell, but against Swansea I thought we looked credible, and it's possible that a couple of attacking additions would make the difference, and last night was heartening in terms of mental toughness and work rate. Mind slightly boggled by how unrecognisable Joao is as a player.

He did look a class above what he was like when he was here. The move has done him good.

I don't think he would ever have come on like that here, too settled and comfortable

Guest wilyfox

I think Pulis has done as well as he probably could do with what he’s got, considering our shortcomings, injuries, sendings off, and suspensions.

If we actually do in January what we didn’t do last window and replace Fletcher, Murphy, Hutchinson, and Fox, we might be able to progress. Until then, it’s a grind. 

7 hours ago, Kenners3896 said:

3 points from a possible 12 is reasonable? For a new manager? 

If he doesn't win Saturday thats 5 without a win........ and eyebrows start to be raised. 

I never wanted pulis but I will support him. However he needed a manager to come in and lift the team. He is too similar to monk for me 

Alright then. We’ve played the best part of 2 games with 10 men, so straight away he has to go defensive. We’ve got 1 point out of 6 when more than like we would’ve got 0.

We’ve picked up one more point at Swansea than we did last season. The disappointing result may be the Stoke one but they’re a better team than they were a year ago so personally I don’t think it was a bad result.

And as for saying Pulis is too similar to Monk. Utter B*ll**ks. There is a structure to our play under Pulis, there never was under Monk. We were getting d!ck5d regularly under Monk. Early days of course but I very much doubt we’ll see heavy defeats under TP as we did under GM. TP is also vastly experienced and proven at the Top Level as well as this one but hey he wasn’t wanted by many and I understand that.

Thing is we’re well and truly in the sh!t just like we were when Megson came in. We need old fashioned hard work, determination and a bit of directness. I wish it was different but it isn’t. I’ll settle for staying up and some solid foundations put in place this season . If you want something different, fair enough but I don’t think you’re going to get it anytime soon?

16 minutes ago, Jim said:

Alright then. We’ve played the best part of 2 games with 10 men, so straight away he has to go defensive. We’ve got 1 point out of 6 when more than like we would’ve got 0.

We’ve picked up one more point at Swansea than we did last season. The disappointing result may be the Stoke one but they’re a better team than they were a year ago so personally I don’t think it was a bad result.

And as for saying Pulis is too similar to Monk. Utter B*ll**ks. There is a structure to our play under Pulis, there never was under Monk. We were getting d!ck5d regularly under Monk. Early days of course but I very much doubt we’ll see heavy defeats under TP as we did under GM. TP is also vastly experienced and proven at the Top Level as well as this one but hey he wasn’t wanted by many and I understand that.

Thing is we’re well and truly in the sh!t just like we were when Megson came in. We need old fashioned hard work, determination and a bit of directness. I wish it was different but it isn’t. I’ll settle for staying up and some solid foundations put in place this season . If you want something different, fair enough but I don’t think you’re going to get it anytime soon?

I'm not disagreeing with your post, just making a comment on one sentence. 

"Early days of course but I very much doubt we’ll see heavy defeats under TP as we did under GM."

Whether they are heavy or slight, defeats are still defeats.

I know I'm stating the obvious but, the position we are in we can't afford many draws and defeats we need wins.

Hopefully we manage to get a decent striker in January and progress from there, but if we just lose and draw until then it's going to be a hard slog. 

Guest FoxOwl12
51 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

If amazing is no wins, less than a point a game, a shot a match and only one clean sheet in 4, I would hate to see what bad is.

Read what I said. I said "amazing with what he has at his disposal". no mention of results

3 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I'm not disagreeing with your post, just making a comment on one sentence. 

"Early days of course but I very much doubt we’ll see heavy defeats under TP as we did under GM."

Whether they are heavy or slight, defeats are still defeats.

I know I'm stating the obvious but, the position we are in we can't afford many draws and defeats we need wins.

Hopefully we manage to get a decent striker in January and progress from there, but if we just lose and draw until then it's going to be a hard slog. 

We need wins, of course we do but I have accepted turning this around is not going to be a walk in the park. If we have to be solid first and foremost I accept that. Making us a more potent force up

top is necessary but it’s going to be very difficult given the market we’re likely to be operating in?

3 hours ago, Kenners3896 said:

There is already mumours of dissatisfaction in the fan base. 

Pressure is mounting. He and the team need to do better. 5 games without a win is horrendous form and would put any manager under pressure. 

We need to win 1 in 3 of every game to stay up realistically. We are already 4 points adrift and are no better off points wise. 

Draws will not keep us in the league. Someone let TP know. 

We had 1 shot on goal. And that was the goal. Reading were all over us before and after that chance. 

Joao missed a sitter before we scored. 

Great defensive performance yesterday but attacking was dire, the goal aside. 

A fan complains and then reports rumours of dissatisfaction.....have a word with yourself. 

Pressure is mounting?..... it isn't. See above.

If anything more fans have got behind Pulis since he came here. Dissatisfaction will probably kick in when we become a mid table side with no relegation threat. Then there will be calls for more exciting football. At present most fans are more concerned with avoiding relegation than anything else. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

If anything more fans have got behind Pulis since he came here. Dissatisfaction will probably kick in when if we become a mid table side with no relegation threat. Then there will be calls for more exciting football. At present most fans are more concerned with avoiding relegation than anything else. 

• Like 1