4 games in, how's he doing

4 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Read what I said. I said "amazing with what he has at his disposal". no mention of results

Pulis has got three points from 4 games. An average of 0.75 points per game. Monk got 12 points from 11 games - an average of 1.1 points per game. If Pulis is doing "amazing" how well did Monk do? 

The only issue then would be how much Monk is to blame for the make up of the team as it is and how much was forced upon him.

Basically it's too early to say either way. I'd take the point about Pulis if we were winning games but - so far - we aren't. And given that's what his style of play is all about - performance and style are irrelevant  - I don't think amazing is the description that fits the bill.  And don't give me guff about playing better sides  - Reading have been on a poor run recently, Luton hammered Norwich and we beat Bournemouth who are second. I'm not saying he's a flop but amazing isn't the way I'd describe the way the team has played. 

We probably have to let him have a couple of windows now unless results are disastrous - I fear because I wouldn't have touched him with your bargepole never mind mine for the obvious oft stated reasons.  So be it. 

A big journey starts with small steps! He’s limited with the resources he has so it’s the structure and team shape he needs to get right until he can work with the players that he wants.

Monk unfortunately set off on his journey in the wrong direction!

• Like 1

B for me.
Just great to here him hollering off the touch line and knowing what he wants. 
Yes it’s not pretty but with this bunch it’s limited. Can’t wait till the January exams and re grade once he has some of his own players come in.  And some of this dross out. 

3 minutes ago, edwinowl said:

Yes it’s not pretty but with this bunch it’s limited. Can’t wait till the January exams and re grade once he has some of his own players come in.  And some of this dross out. 

The trouble is to get any players out we need someone to want them, they won't just walk away of their own accord.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mishowl said:

Genuine question, what do you mean when you say “neither Pulis or his style of football is for me”?

The ‘style’  has been done to death but what is it about him as a person that’s “not for” you?

His exit from palace showed him to be a less than honest guy,while I accept footballs driven by greed among the players youd at least hope the management side was more honest and TP wasnt,he branded a disgrace by the LMA

If this was a different manager the way we are hugley over focused on parking the bus, then I'd see it as just an initial phase. However this is Tony Pulis. So what we have seen so far is forever more. So not horrendous as in lost games and leaked goals...  but poor as in priorities are totally wrong. Besides watching the team all stay behind the ball almost all the game making it crap to watch as the opposition pass it from left to right and still make some head way at times. Booting it forward and their defenders just sweeping up. 

We could defend okay this season, we couldn't  score GOALS!!!! at this rate we will maybe have a few draws before January but that ceiling of teams above who are many points a head is going to seal us in.

Stop all out defending now and put pressure on and great as many chances as we can for our strikers as they need several to score.

Given the circumstances, it is a B so far. 

Far too many red cards, 2 in 4 games under Pulis is silly. Windass coming back Saturday should give us something extra attacking wise. 

We are strong defensive outfit now. Need to find a balance with the attack now. 

16 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Easily pleased some of you Statistically, he’s doing worse than Monk, and I never thought that would be possible. Needs a win on Saturday, if this sort of points return continues, we’ll be down by Easter

Stroll on! Is there ever a silver lining without a cloud in your house?

11 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Given the circumstances, it is a B so far. 

Far too many red cards, 2 in 4 games under Pulis is silly. Windass coming back Saturday should give us something extra attacking wise. 

We are strong defensive outfit now. Need to find a balance with the attack now. 

I see a few comments along these lines at the moment, and as much as Pulis appears to have us even more organised and committed to defending than we were under Monk, we were actually pretty good defensively under the previous manager, with only six teams having a better defensive record than us at the point he was sacked.

It's obviously good that Pulis is tightening this up even further, but ultimately it's what happens at the other end of the pitch which is going to decide our fate from here on in.

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Alright then. We’ve played the best part of 2 games with 10 men, so straight away he has to go defensive. We’ve got 1 point out of 6 when more than like we would’ve got 0.

We’ve picked up one more point at Swansea than we did last season. The disappointing result may be the Stoke one but they’re a better team than they were a year ago so personally I don’t think it was a bad result.

And as for saying Pulis is too similar to Monk. Utter B*ll**ks. There is a structure to our play under Pulis, there never was under Monk. We were getting d!ck5d regularly under Monk. Early days of course but I very much doubt we’ll see heavy defeats under TP as we did under GM. TP is also vastly experienced and proven at the Top Level as well as this one but hey he wasn’t wanted by many and I understand that.

Thing is we’re well and truly in the sh!t just like we were when Megson came in. We need old fashioned hard work, determination and a bit of directness. I wish it was different but it isn’t. I’ll settle for staying up and some solid foundations put in place this season . If you want something different, fair enough but I don’t think you’re going to get it anytime soon?

There is structure to our play for sure.  The problem is, it leads to hardly any shots, hardly any goals, hardly any clean sheets, and, so far, no wins.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I see a few comments along these lines at the moment, and as much as Pulis appears to have us even more organised and committed to defending than we were under Monk, we were actually pretty good defensively under the previous manager, with only six teams having a better defensive record than us at the point he was sacked.

It's obviously good that Pulis is tightening this up even further, but ultimately it's what happens at the other end of the pitch which is going to decide our fate from here on in.

Don't dare bring actual facts into this, you'll get flamed.

Its also not obvious at all we are tightening up - we have only kept one clean sheet under Pulis so far.

• Like 1

Are "Solid" and "Organised" the answers to every slight criticism on here of Pulis?

Pulis' cap is silly - Solid and Organised.

Pulis is waiting for his first win - Solid and Organised.

We still can't score - Solid and Organised.

Does Pulis have a middle name - Solid and Organised.

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

Don't dare bring actual facts into this, you'll get flamed.

Its also not obvious at all we are tightening up - we have only kept one clean sheet under Pulis so far.

At the risk of bringing actual facts into it again, we've gone from averaging 1.1 goals conceded per game under Monk to 0.75 goals conceded per game under Pulis, which is a tightening up, no matter how minor it may seem.

The average expected goals against us in Pulis' first four matches has been 1.05, compared with 1.18 in Monk's 11 games in charge. Again, not a huge shift, but given that we've played 143 minutes of those first four games with ten men, I'd say that Pulis has taken an already stingy defence and made it even more watertight.

Statistics will only tell you so much of course, and we also need to look at the games and judge what we're seeing with our own eyes. On that count, I'd also say we've look more defensively solid under Pulis so far - the solid banks of players behind the ball are making it difficult for teams to play through us and create too much in the way of clear chances.

As I say, however, we need to address our glaring issues at the other end of the pitch if we're going to avoid the drop next spring. 

10 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

You could look at it as 3 games undefeated against sides that will all be in the running for at least a playoff place but I suppose that would far too optimistic thinking 

Or you could look at it 4 games, won none. 

23 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

At the risk of bringing actual facts into it again, we've gone from averaging 1.1 goals conceded per game under Monk to 0.75 goals conceded per game under Pulis, which is a tightening up, no matter how minor it may seem.

The average expected goals against us in Pulis' first four matches has been 1.05, compared with 1.18 in Monk's 11 games in charge. Again, not a huge shift, but given that we've played 143 minutes of those first four games with ten men, I'd say that Pulis has taken an already stingy defence and made it even more watertight.

Statistics will only tell you so much of course, and we also need to look at the games and judge what we're seeing with our own eyes. On that count, I'd also say we've look more defensively solid under Pulis so far - the solid banks of players behind the ball are making it difficult for teams to play through us and create too much in the way of clear chances.

As I say, however, we need to address our glaring issues at the other end of the pitch if we're going to avoid the drop next spring. 

Wouldn’t it be worth revisiting this after 10 games? 

I just don’t know how you can compare stats when one was here over a year, and the other for 4 games.

Yes, we are way short on goals. But who knows what will happen over the next 6 games 

Guest FoxOwl12
3 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Pulis has got three points from 4 games. An average of 0.75 points per game. Monk got 12 points from 11 games - an average of 1.1 points per game. If Pulis is doing "amazing" how well did Monk do? 

The only issue then would be how much Monk is to blame for the make up of the team as it is and how much was forced upon him.

Basically it's too early to say either way. I'd take the point about Pulis if we were winning games but - so far - we aren't. And given that's what his style of play is all about - performance and style are irrelevant  - I don't think amazing is the description that fits the bill.  And don't give me guff about playing better sides  - Reading have been on a poor run recently, Luton hammered Norwich and we beat Bournemouth who are second. I'm not saying he's a flop but amazing isn't the way I'd describe the way the team has played. 

We probably have to let him have a couple of windows now unless results are disastrous - I fear because I wouldn't have touched him with your bargepole never mind mine for the obvious oft stated reasons.  So be it. 

7 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Wouldn’t it be worth revisiting this after 10 games? 

I just don’t know how you can compare stats when one was here over a year, and the other for 4 games.

Yes, we are way short on goals. But who knows what will happen over the next 6 games 

It would, yes.

It's early days, but we can compare Monk's 11 games to Pulis' 4 so far. As I said, stats will only tell you so much and need to be combined with what you're seeing with your own two eyes, but there's certainly been a change of approach which is evident from watching the games and is borne out by the stats.