Pulis is trying to turn round a massive tanker

TP is lucky that fans aren't going to be in the stadium any time soon as he wouldn't get much of a honeymoon with performances where we don't have a shot on target.

If he keeps us up this season that's going to be a success but once fans are back he won't last long with this sort of football. Hopefully by then he will have improved things.

• Love 1

I agree with most of you that you start at the back and don,t concede, but the problem with this is you only win one point for a draw. It is actually better to win one,,then lose one rather than draw two games, so i think T.P has to get the balance right.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Billque said:

I agree with most of you that you start at the back and don,t concede, but the problem with this is you only win one point for a draw. It is actually better to win one,,then lose one rather than draw two games, so i think T.P has to get the balance right.

Winning one is the problem though, we probably have the least effective strike force in the Championship. Hopefully that will change in January

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The Sheffield Wednesday manager for me is delivering exactly what we thought/feared/knew/were warned about when his appointment was announced.

A manager who comes in, takes the squad, organises it to make the team difficult to beat first and foremost that brings with it football almost impossible to watch at times.

We were told he'd play players out of position - he's done that

We were told the football would be dire - it's not been THAT bad yet - I've enjoyed the games he's managed so far - including today's

We were told he'd freeze players out - he's not done that yet 
We were told he'd make immediate changes and improvements - he's doing that by making us more solid
We were told he would play hoofball / direct football - we've seen glimpses of that
We were told he'd be straight talking and people would know where they stand - definitely seeing that!

There have been a few quirks along the way so far, with the recall for Westwood exploding in his face, the strange thing where he said Luongo was still unfit and shouldn't even be on the pitch playing but picked him anyway, putting Rhodes on as sub then taking him off again to play a midfielder up front on his own etc

There's been disappointments in him trying to land coaching staff that haven't happened as they've turned him down and stayed where they are.

The assistant manager appointment/announcement is a real strange one - he's a scout who's never been an assistant manager before?

BUT

So far we're getting exactly what we were told we'd get so I have no complaints whatsoever!

I'm 100% convinced we are going to end up safe this season. All fears/doubts about that have gone. I'm confident that Pulis will bring in two or three big powerful strikers on loan in January and get us firing again.

But it's going to be a frustrating, difficult, and sometimes horrendous experience. We'll shut up shop first and foremost (quite right too) and then build from there.

The only danger is if the lack of chances and goals continue  - for instance if we do bring in strikers we also need to create chances for them and that needs so much work right now as our creative players aren't doing the business either

But it'll come

We'll be ok

But get some matchsticks in your eyelids because it's gonna be a reyt snorefest

lol

That's my thoughts anyways...

I honestly believe that Pulis (after hearing him speak about the club) is the right man, at the right place, at the right time. The next Charlton/Wilkinson/Megson type for our club's history.

Yes but when I suggested those sixteen reasons why we should appoint Tony Pulis, you were saying that you could give seventeen reasons why we shouldn’t appoint him. Are you now taking that back?

The thing for me is that he’s already living up to those 16 reasons and he’s just the man we need at this time bearing in mind the absolute mess the club is in.

I’m really looking forward to January to see who he brings in because for me, he has already nailed where the problems are. I’ve pretty much agreed with everything he’s said about the club and what’s required, up to now.

I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he hadn’t already got players lined up. He’s organised in his thinking and clear on what he needs to get for us. 
Hopefully in time, all those 16 attributes will materialise and he will become the hero that the club and us fans have yearned for so many years, getting us promotion, giving us identity, guiding our owner in football matters and regaining the respect the club has lost.

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The Sheffield Wednesday manager for me is delivering exactly what we thought/feared/knew/were warned about when his appointment was announced.

A manager who comes in, takes the squad, organises it to make the team difficult to beat first and foremost that brings with it football almost impossible to watch at times.

We were told the football would be dire - it's not been THAT bad yet - I've enjoyed the games he's managed so far - including today's

We were told he'd make immediate changes and improvements - he's doing that by making us more solid
We were told he would play hoofball / direct football - we've seen glimpses of that
We were told he'd be straight talking and people would know where they stand - definitely seeing that!

There have been a few quirks along the way so far, with the recall for Westwood exploding in his face, the strange thing where he said Luongo was still unfit and shouldn't even be on the pitch playing but picked him anyway, putting Rhodes on as sub then taking him off again to play a midfielder up front on his own etc

There's been disappointments in him trying to land coaching staff that haven't happened as they've turned him down and stayed where they are.

The assistant manager appointment/announcement is a real strange one - he's a scout who's never been an assistant manager before?

BUT

So far we're getting exactly what we were told we'd get so I have no complaints whatsoever!

I'm 100% convinced we are going to end up safe this season. All fears/doubts about that have gone. I'm confident that Pulis will bring in two or three big powerful strikers on loan in January and get us firing again.

But it's going to be a frustrating, difficult, and sometimes horrendous experience. We'll shut up shop first and foremost (quite right too) and then build from there.

The only danger is if the lack of chances and goals continue  - for instance if we do bring in strikers we also need to create chances for them and that needs so much work right now as our creative players aren't doing the business either

But it'll come

We'll be ok

lol

I honestly believe that Pulis (after hearing him speak about the club) is the right man, at the right place, at the right time. The next Charlton/Wilkinson/Megson type for our club's history.

So why keep banging on about  Monk winning 2 out of his last 3 or whatever it was ?.

1 hour ago, helmut_rooster said:

5 hours from Wales? Did they go the wrong way? 😆

The match didn't finish until 9.35, by the time the players got changed and showered it was probably 10.30 ish when the bus left.

250 miles in a coach limited to 60 mph it's going to be 2.30 a.m. at the earliest back at Hillsborough. So I suppose the players wouldn't get home until about 3 a.m.

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Don't get back to Sheffield at 3am then

Sleep over and drive back in the morning

They had Thursday off. I would think given the choice the players would rather get home at 3 a.m., sleep in their own bed and have a lie in rather than drive to a hotel, try and sleep in an uncomfortable bed, and spend half the next day (their day off) travelling home.

I would.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

BUT

But it'll come

We'll be ok

lol

Charlton was 42 when he took over at Wednesday, Wilkinson was 40 and Megson was 51.

Pulis is 62.

Bielsa is showing managers can still do it in their 60s but do you see Pulis being here for the long haul and turning us around?

I’m far more confident of staying up with Pulis in charge as opposed to Monk. It’s not going to be pretty at times — although that first half against Swansea was the best football we’ve played in ages — but he knows what he’s doing. You can already see the difference he’s made after two weeks in terms of our shape and organisation. 

We’ve still got 32 games of the season to go, we’ll be reyt 

• Like 1

Was underwhelmed when it was announced who the next manager would be, but now glad we’ve got him. Compared to the silent Monk, it’s like having an extra player, a captain on the touch line, shouting orders to players, getting them back in position and keeping our shape.

Just hope Chansiri backs him in January, and leaves the recruitment and team selection to those who know best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Charlton was 42 when he took over at Wednesday, Wilkinson was 40 and Megson was 51.

Pulis is 62.

Bielsa is showing managers can still do it in their 60s but do you see Pulis being here for the long haul and turning us around?

He’s got nine years on Warnock, so plenty of time.

8 hours ago, ANDY said:

Every good team starts with being solid at the back. Don’t concede you won’t lose. 

We just need to keep our heads above water over the Xmas period. Stay in touch with the 4/5 teams around us and hopefully in January Pulis will bring in a decent goal scorer or two. 

push Chansiri spends up to 360m plus 

but if we dont score then we go down, simple as that. draws are no good. we need wins.

6 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Pulis is 62.

Yes I do. Clearly, the most influential person in Pulis’ career was Don Megson. Because of that, you can tell Pulis has a real affinity for this club. He is hurting at our current performances, you can tell in his voice, the frustration can be seen. I genuinely believe he wants to achieve what we all want to achieve.