Pulis is trying to turn round a massive tanker

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I just hope we have deals lined up that can be announced as soon as the transfer window opens and we don’t leave it until the last days of the window. 

I was hoping for that in terms of a striker in the last window!

Every good team starts with being solid at the back. Don’t concede you won’t lose. 

We just need to keep our heads above water over the Xmas period. Stay in touch with the 4/5 teams around us and hopefully in January Pulis will bring in a decent goal scorer or two. 

push Chansiri spends up to 360m plus 

• Like 3

Listened to his interview pre match he isn't happy about the fixtures. Stoke played Tuesday night we played Wednesday night and didn't get back to Sheffield until 3 am giving the players pretty much zero recovery time.

I think (hope) that we are very much going back to basics. 

We have been a soft touch for too long, so Pulis is trying to get us solid at the back first before working on the attacking play. 

Truth be told, I doubt the attacking play will ever be that dynamic under Pulis, but my Christ it has to be better than what we are capable of serving up right now. 

This is a pretty awful team he's having to work with, but I think he's much better to deal with it than Monk who seemingly over complicated everything. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, darra said:

Listened to his interview pre match he isn't happy about the fixtures. Stoke played Tuesday night we played Wednesday night and didn't get back to Sheffield until 3 am giving the players pretty much zero recovery time.

Don't get back to Sheffield at 3am then

Sleep over and drive back in the morning

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The Sheffield Wednesday manager for me is delivering exactly what we thought/feared/knew/were warned about when his appointment was announced.

A manager who comes in, takes the squad, organises it to make the team difficult to beat first and foremost that brings with it football almost impossible to watch at times.

We were told he'd play players out of position - he's done that

We were told the football would be dire - it's not been THAT bad yet - I've enjoyed the games he's managed so far - including today's

We were told he'd freeze players out - he's not done that yet 
We were told he'd make immediate changes and improvements - he's doing that by making us more solid
We were told he would play hoofball / direct football - we've seen glimpses of that
We were told he'd be straight talking and people would know where they stand - definitely seeing that!

There have been a few quirks along the way so far, with the recall for Westwood exploding in his face, the strange thing where he said Luongo was still unfit and shouldn't even be on the pitch playing but picked him anyway, putting Rhodes on as sub then taking him off again to play a midfielder up front on his own etc

There's been disappointments in him trying to land coaching staff that haven't happened as they've turned him down and stayed where they are.

The assistant manager appointment/announcement is a real strange one - he's a scout who's never been an assistant manager before?

BUT

So far we're getting exactly what we were told we'd get so I have no complaints whatsoever!

I'm 100% convinced we are going to end up safe this season. All fears/doubts about that have gone. I'm confident that Pulis will bring in two or three big powerful strikers on loan in January and get us firing again.

But it's going to be a frustrating, difficult, and sometimes horrendous experience. We'll shut up shop first and foremost (quite right too) and then build from there.

The only danger is if the lack of chances and goals continue  - for instance if we do bring in strikers we also need to create chances for them and that needs so much work right now as our creative players aren't doing the business either

But it'll come

We'll be ok

But get some matchsticks in your eyelids because it's gonna be a reyt snorefest

lol

That's my thoughts anyways...

I honestly believe that Pulis (after hearing him speak about the club) is the right man, at the right place, at the right time. The next Charlton/Wilkinson/Megson type for our club's history.

Very true.  Maybe Pulis will go down as the guy who saved our club.  It’s a bit like Dr Who - Jack Charlton has regenerated into Tony Pulis.  If he can achieve what Charlton did for us I will take that at present in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

I think the thing that you haven’t taken into consideration Is that this squad really isn’t too good offensively add to that the lack of availability through out our squad with injuries and suspensions and I think it’s a credit he’s got 2 points against genuine play off contenders actually think we would have beat Preston too if we had 11 men on the pitch 

were desperate to get some offensive players in but even windass won’t be enough 

I don’t really know what he can do with this squad until players come in

surely the aim is pick us as many points as you can but don’t get beat 

I’d say he’s doing mighty fine so far 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marro said:

Very true.  Maybe Pulis will go down as the guy who saved our club.  It’s a bit like Dr Who - Jack Charlton has regenerated into Tony Pulis.  If he can achieve what Charlton did for us I will take that at present in a heartbeat. 

We need Terry Curran and Andy McCulloch!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Swansea and Stoke were a couple of banana skin fixtures given lack of deppth and quality int squad and the fact morale and mentality was probably on its arśe after Rotherham, Luton , Wycombe. 

Pleased he's toughened us up in less than a fortnight. Diggin in will help claw us out the despair ....then just hope in January he's given licence to get us some lads equally as effective up top as he's for the lads playing defensively. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Just now, Jamie_W said:

6 points back in our pocket might help us there.

True, although anyone looking at our goal return and the way we play might be put off coming to us!  

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The Sheffield Wednesday manager for me is delivering exactly what we thought/feared/knew/were warned about when his appointment was announced.

A manager who comes in, takes the squad, organises it to make the team difficult to beat first and foremost that brings with it football almost impossible to watch at times.

We were told he'd play players out of position - he's done that

We were told the football would be dire - it's not been THAT bad yet - I've enjoyed the games he's managed so far - including today's

We were told he'd freeze players out - he's not done that yet 
We were told he'd make immediate changes and improvements - he's doing that by making us more solid
We were told he would play hoofball / direct football - we've seen glimpses of that
We were told he'd be straight talking and people would know where they stand - definitely seeing that!

There have been a few quirks along the way so far, with the recall for Westwood exploding in his face, the strange thing where he said Luongo was still unfit and shouldn't even be on the pitch playing but picked him anyway, putting Rhodes on as sub then taking him off again to play a midfielder up front on his own etc

There's been disappointments in him trying to land coaching staff that haven't happened as they've turned him down and stayed where they are.

The assistant manager appointment/announcement is a real strange one - he's a scout who's never been an assistant manager before?

BUT

So far we're getting exactly what we were told we'd get so I have no complaints whatsoever!

I'm 100% convinced we are going to end up safe this season. All fears/doubts about that have gone. I'm confident that Pulis will bring in two or three big powerful strikers on loan in January and get us firing again.

But it's going to be a frustrating, difficult, and sometimes horrendous experience. We'll shut up shop first and foremost (quite right too) and then build from there.

The only danger is if the lack of chances and goals continue  - for instance if we do bring in strikers we also need to create chances for them and that needs so much work right now as our creative players aren't doing the business either

But it'll come

We'll be ok

But get some matchsticks in your eyelids because it's gonna be a reyt snorefest

lol

That's my thoughts anyways...

I honestly believe that Pulis (after hearing him speak about the club) is the right man, at the right place, at the right time. The next Charlton/Wilkinson/Megson type for our club's history.

Nailed it