Man of the Match - Preston (A)

Borners put a shift in today,Luongo and Reach both worked hard and tried to influence the game our way.

Windass has cocked it up for us today aided by the hapless Westwood who had one shot to save and and threw away all 3 points.Thought it was very harsh on Wildsmith to just drop him to the bench when hes played well.

I reckon thats the worst Ive EVER seen Bannan play for us,his corners were woefull and his passing was poor,cant see him being here once Brentford come back in January.

We really do have the look of relegation fodder,a very poor side,thats littered with mistakes and poses little threat infront of goal.Its going to be a long hard season

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenners3896 said:

Westwood - 5 - had one job, cocked it up. That said the defence didn't close down for the first ball in and no one reacted to the punch. Its a mistake yes but not a glaring one and I'm willing to accept one after so long out. Still head and shoulders better than other two.

4 - palmer- poor didn't get forward lacked energy and passed it to them time and again.
Crossing non existent and weak.

6 - lees - solid did nothing wrong but nothing special either

6 - Borner- see above. Sames

Van aken - 5 - played okay but isn't a full back didn't go forward once so it was more like a ******** eyes 3 6 1 than a 451.

Bannan - 2 - very poor from bannan to cap off a run of very poor performances. Not the captain I hoped he would be. In a really poor period of form. His set peice delivery is so poor and we need it to be so much better as that is literally the only way we will score.

Luongo - 4 - back from injury and it showed. What he did he did well however didn't do enough. Faded quickly. Will be another player that just won't get fit enough to make a difference.

Moses - 3 - just a poor footballer. Can't attack, can't defend just runs alot. His lack of composer cost us and he should have done much better with his half chance.

Reach - 3 - the days of reach are behind him. Previously he was super fit and worked hard. Now he really doesn't seem to give a crap.
Gave the ball away or just ran into his man several times today.

Patterson- 3 - has a tash. Slow leggy and doesn't win headers. A prime example of how monks recruitment was so very wrong.
Anonymous today.

Windass - 2 - brought in as a striker but his goal to game ratio is horrendous. Did nothing before his stupid challenge. Was a waste of money. He isnt a striker and isnt a midfielder, where does he fit in?
Was a red for me, high dangerous and stupid.

Subs -
Joey 5- has limited ability but does as he is asked. Not the problem today.

Brown- 2 - another lazy signing from monk. The guy is a crock and just hobbles about. Made no impact whats ever today and we will have spent most of our budget on his wages. Doesnt seem interested, happy to earn his big wage. Lacks desire

Rhodes - 1 - may as well brought ozzy owl on. Rhodes is done and offers nothing. Rhodes will not become a good player. He will become probably the worst signing in our history.

Pulis - 4 - lots of fans not overly impressed with the appointment. Goof opportunity today to get some fans on his side however I think he messed up is big audition.
We were poor before the sending off and worse after. There was no real change in the teams set up either. It honestly felt like we were satisfied with losing 1-0.
I do feel for him as he has inherited a very very squad. That has no purpose. Have we a team of quick players? No
Have we a team of big lads , target men ? No
Are we a team of technical old pros with quality.. no

We are a mismatch of centre halfs, half fit half injured utility players with no emphasis over preferred playing position.
TP needs a transfer window and soon.
None of his subs impacted on the game at all and there was no real plan A let alone a plan B

I was excited for this game. TP had won me over with his presser. Now I just feel dejected again and struggle to see where the goals will come from in this team.

Wednesday have spent around £25 million on;
Rhodes
Reach
Van Aken

Just let that sink in.

#swfc

I agree with your post except I would stick with Windass but when JR was brought on he obviously had no service so cut some slack with him.
Borner was outstanding but PNE I thought were very poor overall against 10 men.

9 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Exactly!

None of us really know what went on behind the scenes with Westwood, but I don’t have it in me to welcome him back with open arms.  Others seem desperate to turn him into some kind of hero who has been wronged by the evil Monk - personally I don’t see it.  I was a little surprised he played today after being out for so long, clearly Pulis doesn’t rate Dawson or Wildsmith, but I’m really not sure Westwood is the answer.  Would be happy to see him leave at the end of the season.

I think that probably sums it up.

Pulis hurriedly brought a very rusty keeper back - he must have zero faith in Dawson and Wildsmith. In truth it’s impossible to disagree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I agree with you about Moses and his lack of composer. He hasn’t written one song since he’s been at Wednesday... looks tone deaf to me.

Yeah but at least he Bachs at his team-mates and he’s always Chopin and changing roles.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think that probably sums it up.

Pulis hurriedly brought a very rusty keeper back - he must have zero faith in Dawson and Wildsmith. In truth it’s impossible to disagree.

Pulis played westwood to get at monk. Just like his rantings when he took over from monk at Boro and said monk had blown all the money . Most obvious move Pulis could have made to show what a bad boss monk was straight away was to recall Westwood. 

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Pulis played westwood to get at monk. Just like his rantings when he took over from monk at Boro and said monk had blown all the money . Most obvious move Pulis could have made to show what a bad boss monk was straight away was to recall Westwood. 

Bet you think Elvis is still alive and that the moon landing was really an episode of the Clangers.

• Like 1

Just now, Holmowl said:

Bet you think Elvis is still alive and that the moon landing was really an episode of the Clangers.

Why else would you pick our fourth choice goalie who hasn’t played in a year , ahead of a goalie who has just kept two clean sheets ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Why else would you pick our fourth choice goalie who hasn’t played in a year , ahead of a goalie who has just kept two clean sheets ?

The obvious theory is that he’s watched Dawson and Wildsmith and ruled them out of his plans.

Westwood - 5 - Cost us another game because of an unforced error. I make that four errors that have cost us games in the last four games he's played. I accept he's going to be rusty, but this notion that he's the messiah is frankly ridiculous. His form has been, by far and away, worse than any of the other two keeper at the club. It was the reason he was, correctly, dropped in the first instance. The fact is, we need another goalkeeper if Dawson and Wildsmith are deemed not good enough.

Palmer - 5 - Looked sluggish and hesitant defensively. Slow to close the ball down, and should've given a stonewall penalty away, late on in the 1st half.

Lees - 7 - Man of the Match - Solid performance, in a fairly organised and comfortable defensive display.

Borner - 7 - Similar to Lees, looked unthreatened throughout. Couple of moments of worry where he lost the ball, so Lees gets the MotM nod.

Van Aken - 5 - He's not suited to left back, and it was a worry early on, how often the ball down the channel looked to trouble him. Looked more comfortable when switched back into a back three, but lucky not to have been given his marching orders following a loose touch and poor tackle.

Odubajo - 6 - Deployed in a right wing role initially, but had little opportunity to impress. Immediately switched to left wing back following the dismissal, and he did a more than adequate job.

Luongo - 6 - Looked his normal energetic self early on, and seemed to set the tone with the press and offered a couple of breaking runs from midfield. Tired as the game went on.

Bannan - 5 - When you're down to 10 men for 75 minutes, you're reliant heavily on set pieces. And quite frankly, they were horrendous. Darren Potter has been ridiculed for more than a decade for his lousy set pieces...Bannan's yesterday were on par. Otherwise, he struggled to get into the game, and other than a lovely ball that almost put Reach in, had little creative effect.

Reach - 5 - Missed by-far the best chance of the game, some how missing from five yards out early on, and it proved costly. Worked hard, and kept plugging away, but like Bannan, lacked quality when we really needed it.

Paterson - 5 - Thought he started the game well enough, showed some nice touches and linked up play well for the more withdrawn position. But, given a thankless task after that, playing the isolated lone forward for so long.

Windass - 4 - Looked bright early on, and I thought his pace was going to prove a handful for Preston's defenders. Silly challenge, which gave the referee a decision to make. I still think it's harsh...he's half pulled out of the challenge, and more often than not, it's a yellow card and nobody batters an eyelid.. But, nonetheless, a totally avoidable challenge, which has cost us the game. Missing for three games when we are already desperately short of attacking options.

Overall...

You can't take too much from the game. I thought Pulis was spot on with his assessment. We worked hard, we looked organised, and rarely troubled by Preston, despite the numerical disadvantage. Had it not been for a basic error from Westwood, we'd have probably come away with a hard-earned point.

But, the lack of quality, despite the dismissal, was clear to see. Set pieces are going to be key in the short term, until Pulis can sot out his attacking options. We need to sort them out quickly. I thought early on, there were sparks of encouragement. That said, despite 10 men for 75 minutes, we created the best two chances of the game...Reach's sitter (how many sitters does he miss?!) early on, and Odubajo's back post effort...and both of them came from set pieces (a corner and a long throw). 

On another day, despite a fairly uninspiring performance, we could've easily come away with the points.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

It was awful to watch but that is due to the stupidity of Windass

Westwood 5 organized well but his punch wasn’t good enough. Still nowhere near the level of rocks the other two have done over the last year but I expect better

This is a ridiculous.

Look at the last four games Westwood has played. (Swansea...dropping one onto Ayew's head, flapping and missing a corner for Rodon's equaliser. Blackburn...in no-man's land for Adarabioyo's equaliser. West Brom...braindead decision to come out and needlessly run into WBA's attacker to give away a last minute, game-winning penalty).

There's been an error in every single one of those games that has ultimately cost us points.

In three of those games, he's made errors worse or equal to, the very worse errors Dawson or Wildsmith have made.

Stop looking through rose-tinted glasses of the Westwood we saw five years ago.

His form was utterly horrendous when Monk rightly dropped him. And on his, undeserved (what has Wildsmith done to warrant dropping to the bench?) return to the side, he's made yet another unforced, elementary error...that if Wildsmith or Dawson had done, you'd be frothing at the mouth over.

• Like 6

I think we'll just have to go through this over the next 5 weeks until the next window opens.

Pulis needs to establish whether Westwood can be up to it till the end of the season.

If he hadn't brought Westwood back in he'd have remained that itch he feels the strong urge to scratch.

I can't see Pulis allowing Westwood to continue making mistakes like yesterday's for long given our dire need to get ourselves up the table though, and even if it's only while January, he'll bring Wildsmith (or even Dawson) back in if he has to. But should that happen, I expect it'll only be until he can bring a new number 1 in.

Guest Willow Owl
14 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Still better than the other two. He organized well. It wasn’t a great punch but you’d expect some help from the defence to block. At least he doesn’t constantly get megged or save a shot that then spins over him. Still glad he’s back.

Be fair, How can you stick up for Westwood when you constantly slate the other 2. Wildsmith had done nothing wrong since being brought back in and deserved to keep his place. 

Westwood was ponderous and rooted to his line all the game. Even with the slip, It was a cross he should have caught never mind punched, the striker never even challenged him ( Sponge Bob flannel hands in my opinion ). If that would have been the other 2 you would have been chomping at the bit to criticise.

let’s face it his poor form from last season continued yesterday and looks a shadow of the keeper he was 3/4 years ago.

He did shout a lot though 👍

Wildsmith didn't deserve to be dropped. Westwood's punch was rubbish, but I doubt he'll be dropped.

Bannan needs dropping. 

Van Aken was fine considering he was playing left back. 

Borner man of the match

This side has no goals in it. We aren't going to score enough goals. Relegation beckons.

I've read a few on here saying we should get rid of Bannan.

Yes, he was awful yesterday. And he'll probably jump ship at the first opportunity.

But we've seen what happens when we try to 'freshen up the squad' - we lose Fletcher and Forestieri (and before them, Joao and Hooper) and replace them with Paterson and Windass.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Kenners3896 said:

Westwood - 5 - had one job, cocked it up. That said the defence didn't close down for the first ball in and no one reacted to the punch. Its a mistake yes but not a glaring one and I'm willing to accept one after so long out. Still head and shoulders better than other two.

4 - palmer- poor didn't get forward lacked energy and passed it to them time and again.
Crossing non existent and weak.

6 - lees - solid did nothing wrong but nothing special either

6 - Borner- see above. Sames

Van aken - 5 - played okay but isn't a full back didn't go forward once so it was more like a ******** eyes 3 6 1 than a 451.

Bannan - 2 - very poor from bannan to cap off a run of very poor performances. Not the captain I hoped he would be. In a really poor period of form. His set peice delivery is so poor and we need it to be so much better as that is literally the only way we will score.

Luongo - 4 - back from injury and it showed. What he did he did well however didn't do enough. Faded quickly. Will be another player that just won't get fit enough to make a difference.

Moses - 3 - just a poor footballer. Can't attack, can't defend just runs alot. His lack of composer cost us and he should have done much better with his half chance.

Reach - 3 - the days of reach are behind him. Previously he was super fit and worked hard. Now he really doesn't seem to give a crap.
Gave the ball away or just ran into his man several times today.

Patterson- 3 - has a tash. Slow leggy and doesn't win headers. A prime example of how monks recruitment was so very wrong.
Anonymous today.

Windass - 2 - brought in as a striker but his goal to game ratio is horrendous. Did nothing before his stupid challenge. Was a waste of money. He isnt a striker and isnt a midfielder, where does he fit in?
Was a red for me, high dangerous and stupid.

Subs -
Joey 5- has limited ability but does as he is asked. Not the problem today.

Brown- 2 - another lazy signing from monk. The guy is a crock and just hobbles about. Made no impact whats ever today and we will have spent most of our budget on his wages. Doesnt seem interested, happy to earn his big wage. Lacks desire

Rhodes - 1 - may as well brought ozzy owl on. Rhodes is done and offers nothing. Rhodes will not become a good player. He will become probably the worst signing in our history.

Pulis - 4 - lots of fans not overly impressed with the appointment. Goof opportunity today to get some fans on his side however I think he messed up is big audition.
We were poor before the sending off and worse after. There was no real change in the teams set up either. It honestly felt like we were satisfied with losing 1-0.
I do feel for him as he has inherited a very very squad. That has no purpose. Have we a team of quick players? No
Have we a team of big lads , target men ? No
Are we a team of technical old pros with quality.. no

We are a mismatch of centre halfs, half fit half injured utility players with no emphasis over preferred playing position.
TP needs a transfer window and soon.
None of his subs impacted on the game at all and there was no real plan A let alone a plan B

I was excited for this game. TP had won me over with his presser. Now I just feel dejected again and struggle to see where the goals will come from in this team.

Wednesday have spent around £25 million on;
Rhodes
Reach
Van Aken

Just let that sink in.

#swfc

Fair assessment. L1 here we come!