England men's fixtures omdt.

51 minutes ago, Bez said:

Pickford

Walker Stones  Maguire Chilwell

Rice

Foden Mount

Sancho                  Grealish

Kane

This would be my preferred starting XI and formation. There’s an argument for James over Walker, but both have had good seasons and I think Walker’s experience possibly gives him the edge.

That front 5 with Walker/James and Chilwell bombing on and providing width should cause teams lots of problems

• Love 1

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

This would be my preferred starting XI and formation. There’s an argument for James over Walker, but both have had good seasons and I think Walker’s experience possibly gives him the edge.

That front 5 with Walker/James and Chilwell bombing on and providing width should cause teams lots of problems

I'd be disappointed if that isn't the formation we go with against Scotland and Czech Republic but I can see us playing 2 holding midfielders instead. We are certainly likely to start the tournament with 4-2-3-1 (provided we don't go to a back 3) so I reckon Snacho might miss out from that line up with Rice coming in and Foden playing where Sancho is in that 11. 

1 minute ago, Errol Flashman said:

I think he'll go back to 3 at back. 

Like Grealish. Just got an unshakeable feeling he'll stick Sterling in though...

Hope you are wrong on both counts.

I like Sterling but he has had a really poor second half of the season. He was hugely disappointing in the FA Cup semi-final and I was shocked when he started the Champions League final in which he was also far from influential. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hope you are wrong on both counts.

I like Sterling but he has had a really poor second half of the season. He was hugely disappointing in the FA Cup semi-final and I was shocked when he started the Champions League final in which he was also far from influential. 

I hope I'm wrong mate. It's just a thought I cant shake. 

They all do it. All these England gaffers over the years. Have them players they keep faith in when it's not always justified.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I’m excited for the tournament on the whole, but don’t really give us a chance. There’s at least 5-6 teams better than us 

Pretty much my thoughts

Our GK and CB's just not strong enough

21 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'd be disappointed if that isn't the formation we go with against Scotland and Czech Republic but I can see us playing 2 holding midfielders instead. We are certainly likely to start the tournament with 4-2-3-1 (provided we don't go to a back 3) so I reckon Snacho might miss out from that line up with Rice coming in and Foden playing where Sancho is in that 11. 

I can go to bed happy having read about Snacho hbw, thanks. 😂😂

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

I think one of the biggest issues is that Southgate just isn’t good enough to be England manager IMO. He’d struggle to get a PL job if he were out of work, and certainly wouldn’t be anywhere near a top 10 team

The biggest problem we have at this tournament is the manager 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

It does seem a bit like when a player gets possession, his first instinct is to look to play back. Even when we’re in an advanced position or have chance to break 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's why I like Grealish his first thought is to get forward

• Like 2

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 hours ago, Bez said:

So to summarise where we are now.

Players:

Keepers

Pickford will start and has the best distribution.  Henderson/Johnstone provide decent depth.  No World Class keeper, but 3 decent options.

Centre Backs

Stones is the only immediate name on the team sheet.  Maguire is a fitness concern but starts when he is ready.  Mings really worries me - not good enough but he will start to give Maguire more time to find fitness.

Right Backs

Walker is the first choice but may be playing at RCB depending on the formation.  Tripper had an amazing season so is backup.  James also played well for Chelsea - tons of choice here.

Left Backs

Chilwell should start - he is great with corners and the best defensively.  Shaw can get forward but he goes AWOL when defending.  Trippier is decent cover at LB too.

CDM

Rice is the best Defensive Mid with tons of fitness and can stick to his man like glue.  Phillips is great cover at the position after a good season.  Henderson can cover this position but hasn't played for months and won't have his usual fitness.

CM

Depending on the formation, England like a deep lying playmaker on the pitch.  The best option in JWP if he makes the team, otherwise you only have Henderson for this role.

CAM

Mount, Grealish, Bellingham, Foden.  All can play and play well here - the formation will dictate how many can be on the field but I would want a formation that gets 3 of the 4 on the field at once, even if they can't all be in the centre of the park.

LW

Sterling and Rashford are bang out of form and can't start.  Grealish or Foden should get the nod here.  Saka is a good option on the bench if chasing a game.

RW

Sancho should have this position sewn up.  Saka can cover here as well as Trippier if needed to.  Some say Foden can play wide Right but I prefer him more centrally.

Strikers

Kane.  Then who?  DCL isn't the most inspired cover but better than Rashford.  

Formations:

I prefer this formation given the depth we have in midfield.  Get the talent on the field whilst keeping Walker from being a CB.

Pickford

Rice

Foden Mount

Kane

3 at the Back

Too defensive for me but Sir Gareth likes it.  Bet this is his formation v Croatia.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier         Rice         Chilwell

Sancho          Foden          Grealish

Kane

Southgate's other formation.  This only works with a great ball player at CM, and with Henderson lacking sharpness, JWP is the only other candidate.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Chilwell

Henderson Rice

Mount

Foden              Grealish

Kane

Southgate's Formation v Croatia

You watch - this will be his formation/lineup against the Croats.  Don't worry - we need to finish 2nd in the group to avoid Germany/France/Portugal.

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings

James                                     Shaw

Henderson Mount

Foden Kane Sterling

I agree with most of this.

Pickford is the best of an average set of keepers. He has mistakes in him, but so do the others.

Centre back is a huge problem. Stones has improved hugely over the last season, but will he be any good without Reuben Diaz next to him? We need another CB , Mings is a liability, a red card waiting to happen with plenty of mistakes in his game. I genuinely think we need to go with a back 3, Walker- Coady-Shaw...all used to playing that role. 

Bellingham is the No.1 in the defensive midfield position.  He's proved that.  If we play 2 DM's then Rice is the one to play alongside him. 

Then you have the definite starters in attacking positions:

Kane 

Mount

Foden

Grealish

Sancho 

It won't be enough to get past the QF's anyway, because you can have all the talent,  but if the mentality, fitness and desire isn't there then it counts for nowt. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We won 10 out of 10 qualifying games, many of the comfortably, going into Euro 2106 - the momentum hardly transferred into the tournament. Think you might be reading too much into it. 

Now that's some forward thinking

1 hour ago, edmontonowl said:

Now that's some forward thinking

Surprised it took so long to pull me up on that one.

You heard it here first!

:ghoulguy:

11 hours ago, Bez said:

Pickford

Rice

Foden Mount

Kane

This sort of formation with one DM will be OK against the Scots and Czechs. 

Against Croatia and knock outs, I, d say with the issues at GK and CB, we should be going 4-2-3-1

In this instance, Kane looks better with his link play when he has some serious pace, so for me Sterling, Rashford or Sancho has to start, which means two of Foden, Mount and Grealish. 

My XI against (Southgates) for the bigger games 

Pickford

James (Walker) 

Stones

Coady (Mings) 

Shaw

Rice

Bellingham

Sancho (Sterling) 

Mount

Foden

Kane

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

It does seem a bit like when a player gets possession, his first instinct is to look to play back. Even when we’re in an advanced position or have chance to break 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not sure what it looked like inthe stadium, but that last 10 minutes Romania seemed to move the ball about in a way that England never seem to be able to ..passing through us, moving forward quickly,  releasing wide players with accurate balls round the full backs etc.

That's always going to be an issue for us, I still don't think we get enough positive possession.