England men's fixtures omdt.

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I don’t see how either Sterling or Rashford should be starting.

I heard one of the pundits yesterday say that Southgate can always rely on them two - rely on them for what exactly? What have they ever done in an England shirt? 

Re Sancho, I haven’t seen enough of him to give a fair assessment, but he looked like a very raw winger yesterday. Couldn’t control the ball well, couldn’t dribble. One flash of potential when he hit the bar 

Agree. Rashford’s mind simply isn’t currently on football. The fact he was made captain yesterday shows GS sees him differently. 

Sterling has no end product despite him going past players easily with his T-Rex running style. 
Hopefully our faces are covered in egg & humble pie come 11th July 🙂

Not happy that Ward-Prowse isn’t going. I’d like to have seen Lingard as an option too. Stupid taking a half fit Henderson. And to be honest I don’t rate Kalvin Phillips at all.

Best side from who Southgate has picked:

Pickford

Walker Maguire Stones Shaw

Rice Bellingham

Grealish Mount Foden

Kane

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not happy that Ward-Prowse isn’t going. I’d like to have seen Lingard as an option too. Stupid taking a half fit Henderson. And to be honest I don’t rate Kalvin Phillips at all.

Best side from who Southgate has picked:

Pickford

Walker Maguire Stones Shaw

Rice Bellingham

Grealish Mount Foden

Kane

Almost certain we are looking at a back 3/5 in that first game against Croatia. 

I just can't help thinking he'll go with Sterling and Rashford. 

I've said this before and am probably boring. But I just think he will.

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't pick two sitting midfielders either.

Probably why I'm not manager of the national team.

Gung ho. 

My side-:

Henderson

Trippier    Stones   Maguire     Shaw

Rice

Foden          Mount

Sancho         Kane        Grealish

He waint put Grealish and Mount in the same side mind. I think he has a mental block.

And like I said. I expect the old favourites will start. 

Aye. I've put Henderson in net. 

I prefer him. I think he's got that winners attitude that knocks some peoples duck off.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

What a prat Southgate is, Mr Conservative. Of course he brings another defender in White when JWP would have been a far more useful option 

Think of the fouls Grealish & Foden will draw, and Ward-Prowse whipping those set-pieces in? 

Hasn’t got a clue that bloke. An average defender managing the national team. 

I doubt even any championship clubs would hire him 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

What a prat Southgate is, Mr Conservative. Of course he brings another defender in White when JWP would have been a far more useful option 

Think of the fouls Grealish & Foden will draw, and Ward-Prowse whipping those set-pieces in? 

Hasn’t got a clue that bloke. An average defender managing the national team. 

I doubt even any championship clubs would hire him 

So you'd start JWP over Bellingham and Rice? 

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

So you'd start JWP over Bellingham and Rice? 

Its about having useful creative options isn’t it. JWP created the most chances from set pieces in the league last season 

Great option to bring on if we need to steal a goal against one of the top teams 

To be fair, White should have been in ahead of Coady anyway,

Southgate probably saw that Mings disasterclass performance the other night and bottled it, went for a safe defensive option to add to the squad 

• Like 1

I’m not keen on him myself but think it’s fair to judge Southgate after the tournament is over since we got to the semis last time… he’s created a bit of a rod for his own back with his selections though. Can see the media giving him a lot of grief if we don’t do well

Gareth needs to make the big cal and get rid of Henderson now, replace with JWP. Henderson isn’t that good enough to justify being in the squad half fit, in hindsight we should not have done it with the likes of Rooney, Owen and Beckham in past years but they were at least at the time pivotal players. 

• Like 1

See how he does.

Have my doubts but he has enough credit in the bank with the last tournament and qualification for this one.

Just fear he is overly cautious and has got caught up in trying to appease certain people with some of the call ups.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Its about having useful creative options isn’t it. JWP created the most chances from set pieces in the league last season 

Great option to bring on if we need to steal a goal against one of the top teams 

To be fair, White should have been in ahead of Coady anyway,

Southgate probably saw that Mings disasterclass performance the other night and bottled it, went for a safe defensive option to add to the squad 

JWP would be a great option for his set pieces. Can’t believe he’s not going.

I’d also have Lingard in over Saka? I suppose Saka can take up a few positions, but Lingard would have gone in the tournament as one of the most in form players in the country. 

Just seems stupid to me. Don’t rate Southgate at all.

I have gone from quite optimistic and excited, to thinking we're going to scrape through the group and then get knocked out. 

Southgate does not fill me with confidence one bit. 

We have some real attacking threat at our disposal at the moment and he's going to try setup defensive, sit back kind of attitude.

16 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

You think?

Maybe something like:

Pickford

Walker Stones White 

Trippier Rice Bellingham Shaw 

Foden Kane Grealish

Something like that.

He's clearly worried about the defence and has been for quite a while.

Seems like he prefers a back 3/5 against the supposed better teams and a 4 against the poorer ones.

Not sure how good Croatia are atm, but they often cause us issues so I suspect it'll be a back 3/5 on Sunday.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

JWP would be a great option for his set pieces. Can’t believe he’s not going.

I’d also have Lingard in over Saka? I suppose Saka can take up a few positions, but Lingard would have gone in the tournament as one of the most in form players in the country. 

Just seems stupid to me. Don’t rate Southgate at all.

Agreed.

I like Saka as a player, but I don't think he's at the level yet where he needed to be going to this tournament. He's a young kid who will be likely playing with England for many years to come

What we taking him for this time? Work experience? 

Should have taken either JWP or Lingard for me, but it appears he's not happy with his CB options hence the White call up.

Just now, SiJ said:

Something like that.

He's clearly worried about the defence and has been for quite a while.

Seems like he prefers a back 3/5 against the supposed better teams and a 4 against the poorer ones.

Not sure how good Croatia are atm, but they often cause us issues so I suspect it'll be a back 3/5 on Sunday.

To be fair I understand in a way because our defence is pretty poor. None of them fill me with great confidence.

Maguire is probably our best option but he’s injured. Stones is decent but can’t help but feel he’s benefitted this season from having Dias next to him who’s been unbelievable. Don’t rate Mings. And Coady is just your average Premier League defender.

Huge drop in quality since the likes of Terry, Campbell, Ferdinand, Jagielka and even someone like Matt Upson. 

Funnily enough I actually think Ben White is pretty good for playing out from the back. I personally would have had him in from the start ahead of Mings or Coady.

Agreed.

The Coady and Mings thing baffles me a bit tbh.

If you lined up with those two as a pair (not in a three) you'd be worried as a mid-table PL side, let alone England in a major tournament.

Pretty sure Coady is a one time central midfielder who got converted into the central defender in a back three. He's a nice footballer, with good passing range, but I'd not want him playing in a two. 

Mings is just rash for me. Don't get why he is so rated in quarters.