England men's fixtures omdt.

22 minutes ago, shandypants said:

My summary:

We missed Pickford's distribution

Reece James has to play - the two Bens either haven't had the chance or taking the chance to get in the squad.  

Mings is capable enough but Maguire is straight back in when fit

Shaw disappeared in the second half - Chilwell is better than  Shaw

Ward-Prowse has to join the squad

We lost our fluency when Ward-Prowse was substituted 

Henderson can't take penalties

We have missed Mount

Grealish has to start

Generally, I'm absolutely baffled as to why Lingard isn't in the squad

My starting eleven:

Pickford

James    Stones  Maguire (if fit otherwise Mings) Chilwell

Ward-Prowse

Henderson (if fit otherwise Phillips) Mount

Foden                                         Grealish

Kane

Ward-Prowse played well and is a fair shout to get the remaining place based on that but I wouldn't say we lost our fluency after he went off, in fact we created more chances and won the game after he was subbed.

Lingard and Ward-Prowse would both be included for me though.

Bit embarrassing from Henderson really. Hasn't scored from his country in over 50 games so wanted to put that stat to bed and have an England goal to look back on but blew it. It was a meaningless game anyway, would he really look back with pride if his only goal for his country came against a poor Romania side in a friendly when he had to take the ball off a regular penalty taker to try and score from the spot.

Lee Dixon picked about 14 attacking players in his preferred starting line up for the opening group game!  

Also, bit brainless from the dirtyleeds fans booing Watkins on to the pitch and singing Bamford's name when he got the ball.  

If the tournament had taken place when originally scheduled I think we’d have had a decent chance of doing well. Now we’ve lost any momentum that we had after a good qualifying campaign and other teams such as Italy look a better proposition. That said I still think the winners will either be Belgium or France.

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

If the tournament had taken place when originally scheduled I think we’d have had a decent chance of doing well. Now we’ve lost any momentum that we had after a good qualifying campaign and other teams such as Italy look a better proposition. That said I still think the winners will either be Belgium or France.

We won 3 qualifiers in a week in March.

Squad should be well up for this tournament.

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

We won 3 qualifiers in a week in March.

Squad should be well up for this tournament.

Point I’m trying to make is even in the March qualifiers we were lacking the fluidity and clinical finishing we were showing during the euro qualifiers. Defensively we look like a mistake waiting to happen. We have decent players but the manager is a problem. He’s become too cautious on his approach over the last 12 months.

8 minutes ago, Jim said:

Lost momentum?

We beat no hopers like Kosovo and Montengro easily in 2019 but lost a qualifier to the Czech Republic. 

Our form now is fine, our top players have been rested, as is the case with most top nations. 

Honestly close curtains if England played out in my yard. Horrible fans what cause trouble abroad. Arrogance of our commentators. Cheating players like grealish. Only me who won't watch a single euros match. I will be on here or playing bingo or something as I have f all else to bet on 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

Lumped £10 on Italy. Bookmakers have many teams above them 

They are well priced but I can't see them getting beyond the semi-finals at best.

Their results have been good but they haven't faced anyone of note for a long time. 

Edited by Guest

So to summarise where we are now.

Players:

Keepers

Pickford will start and has the best distribution.  Henderson/Johnstone provide decent depth.  No World Class keeper, but 3 decent options.

Centre Backs

Stones is the only immediate name on the team sheet.  Maguire is a fitness concern but starts when he is ready.  Mings really worries me - not good enough but he will start to give Maguire more time to find fitness.

Right Backs

Walker is the first choice but may be playing at RCB depending on the formation.  Tripper had an amazing season so is backup.  James also played well for Chelsea - tons of choice here.

Left Backs

Chilwell should start - he is great with corners and the best defensively.  Shaw can get forward but he goes AWOL when defending.  Trippier is decent cover at LB too.

CDM

Rice is the best Defensive Mid with tons of fitness and can stick to his man like glue.  Phillips is great cover at the position after a good season.  Henderson can cover this position but hasn't played for months and won't have his usual fitness.

CM

Depending on the formation, England like a deep lying playmaker on the pitch.  The best option in JWP if he makes the team, otherwise you only have Henderson for this role.

CAM

Mount, Grealish, Bellingham, Foden.  All can play and play well here - the formation will dictate how many can be on the field but I would want a formation that gets 3 of the 4 on the field at once, even if they can't all be in the centre of the park.

LW

Sterling and Rashford are bang out of form and can't start.  Grealish or Foden should get the nod here.  Saka is a good option on the bench if chasing a game.

RW

Sancho should have this position sewn up.  Saka can cover here as well as Trippier if needed to.  Some say Foden can play wide Right but I prefer him more centrally.

Strikers

Kane.  Then who?  DCL isn't the most inspired cover but better than Rashford.  

Formations:

I prefer this formation given the depth we have in midfield.  Get the talent on the field whilst keeping Walker from being a CB.

Pickford

Walker Stones  Maguire Chilwell

Rice

Foden Mount

Sancho                  Grealish

Kane

3 at the Back

Too defensive for me but Sir Gareth likes it.  Bet this is his formation v Croatia.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Trippier         Rice         Chilwell

Sancho          Foden          Grealish

Kane

Southgate's other formation.  This only works with a great ball player at CM, and with Henderson lacking sharpness, JWP is the only other candidate.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Chilwell

Henderson Rice

Mount

Foden              Grealish

Kane

Southgate's Formation v Croatia

You watch - this will be his formation/lineup against the Croats.  Don't worry - we need to finish 2nd in the group to avoid Germany/France/Portugal.

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings

James                                     Shaw

Henderson Mount

Foden Kane Sterling

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bez said:

So to summarise where we are now.

Players:

Keepers

Pickford will start and has the best distribution.  Henderson/Johnstone provide decent depth.  No World Class keeper, but 3 decent options.

Centre Backs

Stones is the only immediate name on the team sheet.  Maguire is a fitness concern but starts when he is ready.  Mings really worries me - not good enough but he will start to give Maguire more time to find fitness.

Right Backs

Walker is the first choice but may be playing at RCB depending on the formation.  Tripper had an amazing season so is backup.  James also played well for Chelsea - tons of choice here.

Left Backs

Chilwell should start - he is great with corners and the best defensively.  Shaw can get forward but he goes AWOL when defending.  Trippier is decent cover at LB too.

CDM

Rice is the best Defensive Mid with tons of fitness and can stick to his man like glue.  Phillips is great cover at the position after a good season.  Henderson can cover this position but hasn't played for months and won't have his usual fitness.

CM

Depending on the formation, England like a deep lying playmaker on the pitch.  The best option in JWP if he makes the team, otherwise you only have Henderson for this role.

CAM

Mount, Grealish, Bellingham, Foden.  All can play and play well here - the formation will dictate how many can be on the field but I would want a formation that gets 3 of the 4 on the field at once, even if they can't all be in the centre of the park.

LW

Sterling and Rashford are bang out of form and can't start.  Grealish or Foden should get the nod here.  Saka is a good option on the bench if chasing a game.

RW

Sancho should have this position sewn up.  Saka can cover here as well as Trippier if needed to.  Some say Foden can play wide Right but I prefer him more centrally.

Strikers

Kane.  Then who?  DCL isn't the most inspired cover but better than Rashford.  

Formations:

I prefer this formation given the depth we have in midfield.  Get the talent on the field whilst keeping Walker from being a CB.

Pickford

Walker Stones  Maguire Chilwell

Rice

Foden Mount

Sancho                  Grealish

Kane

3 at the Back

Too defensive for me but Sir Gareth likes it.  Bet this is his formation v Croatia.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Kane

Southgate's other formation.  This only works with a great ball player at CM, and with Henderson lacking sharpness, JWP is the only other candidate.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Chilwell

Henderson Rice

Mount

Foden              Grealish

Kane

You watch - this will be his formation/lineup against the Croats.  Don't worry - we need to finish 2nd in the group to avoid Germany/France/Portugal.

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings

Henderson Mount

Foden Kane Sterling

Finish 2nd in group and we would get France Portugal or Germany in quarter finals.

Personally I'd rather win the group and play the last 16 round at Wembley against one of those three rather than in St Petersberg in the quarter final.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Adamjack said:

Honestly close curtains if England played out in my yard. Horrible fans what cause trouble abroad. Arrogance of our commentators. Cheating players like grealish. Only me who won't watch a single euros match. I will be on here or playing bingo or something as I have f all else to bet on 

Thanks for letting us all know you have no interest in England matches in the thread about England matches. 👍

32 minutes ago, Bez said:

S

3 at the Back

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire

Kane

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings

Henderson Mount

Foden Kane Sterling

So you're betting on one line up and formation against Croatia and also stated he will have a different line up and formation against Croatia in the same post.

52 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Lost momentum?

We beat no hopers like Kosovo and Montengro easily in 2019 but lost a qualifier to the Czech Republic. 

Our form now is fine, our top players have been rested, as is the case with most top nations. 

I wouldn’t expect you to agree. Yes, we did lose a qualifier to the Czech Republic away yet scored 5 against them at home like we scored 4/5 or 6 most games during the qualifying campaign. We haven’t found goals easy to come by in the last 12 months but it’s a racing certainty you’ll argue the to$$ on that one 🤣

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you're betting on one line up and formation against Croatia and also stated he will have a different line up and formation against Croatia in the same post.

That formation.  But the second prediction includes different players 

29 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Finish 2nd in group and we would get France Portugal or Germany in quarter finals.

Personally I'd rather win the group and play the last 16 round at Wembley against one of those three rather than in St Petersberg in the quarter final.

It's a shocking draw for us really but you're right, we'd surely be better off with a home game against one of those 3. 

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

I wouldn’t expect you to agree. Yes, we did lose a qualifier to the Czech Republic away yet scored 5 against them at home like we scored 4/5 or 6 most games during the qualifying campaign. We haven’t found goals easy to come by in the last 12 months but it’s a racing certainty you’ll argue the to$$ on that one 🤣

I tend to agree with people who make a good point.

Lots tend to disagree with you funnily enough.

lol

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

We won 10 out of 10 qualifying games, many of the comfortably, going into Euro 2106 - the momentum hardly transferred into the tournament. Think you might be reading too much into it. 

6 minutes ago, Bez said:

That formation.  But the second prediction includes different players 

Hope you are wrong.

Some pundits are saying the same but it makes little sense to revert to 3 at the back now. Especially as it failed against Croatia in our last tournament match. 

1 hour ago, Adamjack said:

lol 

If you think England are bad… how on Earth do you cope watching Wednesday?