England men's fixtures omdt.

On 03/06/2021 at 23:40, SiJ said:

Really don't rate Mings. 

Think the lad is a liability with a questionable attitude. 

On 04/06/2021 at 00:05, SiJ said:

Yep.

Surprised he wasn't given a chance.

A bit like Bamford should have been given a try in the previous squad.

Southgate clearly has his favs and you'll have to do something very special to sway him. Heck, the likes of Grealish and Trent had to convince him of their merits.

Just get thr sense he likes grafters and lads who won't speak up. Could be wrong on that, but that's my impression.

Sort of contradicted yourself on that one haven't you? 

Mings has a questionable attitude and certainly doesn't seem the type to not speak up.

I think Southgate has some favourites but think all managers are similar in that respect. At least he has managed to move away from Dier now. 

Interesting line up. 

Can at least take solace from the fact that both games have gone with 4 at the back rather than reverting back to a back 3. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Sort of contradicted yourself on that one haven't you? 

Mings has a questionable attitude and certainly doesn't seem the type to not speak up.

I think Southgate has some favourites but think all managers are similar in that respect. At least he has managed to move away from Dier now. 

Tbf, there are exceptions to a rule, or, in this case, a hypothesis

Mings could be good as gold in the dressing room and a helmet on the pitch.

41 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Interesting line up. 

Can at least take solace from the fact that both games have gone with 4 at the back rather than reverting back to a back 3. 

Thing is, I cant see either of these teams being all that close to what he puts out against Croatia.

Who out of today's starting Xi would Southgate really want to start if he had everyone available? 

Not all that many imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, there are exceptions to a rule, or, in this case, a hypothesis

Mings could be good as gold in the dressing room and a helmet on the pitch.

Mings has been one of the more vocal ones regarding taking the knee. Can't imagine he is a shrinking violet in the dressing room. 

As I say, most managers have favourites, not sure Southgate is worse than any other boss in that respect - he has given more debuts to new England players than Hodgson did for example but has been in charge for a shorter period. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Thing is, I cant see either of these teams being all that close to what he puts out against Croatia.

Who out of today's starting Xi would Southgate really want to start if he had everyone available? 

Not all that many imo.

Very few, but what can he do if they are running on empty & risking injury by playing.

At least the formation is much like the one that has been used more recently in the qualifiers. It wouldn't make any sense to go to a back 3 in the first game of the tournament having not played it regularly for a good while now.

Mings and Coady...as a CB pairing.

Assume Stones is being rested due to the Champs League final.

The likely lack of Maguire is a concern which is not something I thought I'd be saying. 

On 02/06/2021 at 21:47, fudge27 said:

TAA out of the euros? 

If so do you go Ward Prowse or Watkins  to replace him

On 02/06/2021 at 21:55, shandypants said:

Ward-Prowse - he’s got a wand of a right foot, free-kicks, corners, crosses, switches play and gets about midfield. I am baffled that Southgate has left him out as he looks the complete midfielder to me. 

I'm going to stand beside what I said here; we should take Ward-Prowse and I'm sure he'll prove that today.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

I'm going to stand beside what I said here; we should take Ward-Prowse and I'm sure he'll prove that today.  

If he gets a free kick he will know if he converts it then he's probably in the squad, will be good to see if he can do it under England pressure.