OFFICIAL - TONY PULIS APPOINTED SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER

His record is better than I originally thought. Getting unfashionable Stoke into Europe, getting Palace to their highest ever premier league finish and winning manager of the year, and finishing top 10 with West Brom is pretty impressive. 

I can cope with a few long balls for a bit if he gets us winning games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

its a no brainer ....we need points to stay up this bloke usually gets results .....i cannot for the life of me understand the negativity towards him ...... 

Yes you can. It’s how far you want to trade off between potential results and ultra boredom. 

• Like 1

Just now, Owling Wolfe said:

I’ve been supporting Wednesday since 1979 and have spent many evenings walking up Herries Rd absolutely gutted when we played well and lost. I can’t ever remember being gutted when we played crap and won though. Football is a results business and Pulis is known for getting results. If you want flashy football you’re watching the wrong club in the wrong league and the wrong country. 

spot on ............

• Like 1

Are all the people who were saying the squad just isn’t good enough now thinking the squad is good enough ... ? 

I don’t like the msn and I don’t like the football he tries to deliver. And one day he will be gone ... but as ever I’ll be supporting the club and team. 

Prove me wrong and I’ll be the first to admit it ... but I don’t think he’ll do any better or worse than a few other available managers but probably costs a whole lot more ... and I actually didn’t think we would be relegation fodder anyway. 

Just now, rickygoo said:

Yes you can. It’s how far you want to trade off between potential results and ultra boredom. 

if your happy driving home after an exciting  defeat then fair play .......i like to walk back to the  car with 3pts in the bag , how we get them dont matter 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

It’s about being bored to death. Hardly any shots. Hardly any goals from open play. 

I think you're jaded.

I don't blame you.

There was about a dozen games under Carlos where we had runners everywhere going forward usually with Hooper leading the charge.

It was thrilling and ruinously expensive.

It's not going to be repeated anytime soon Ricky..

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

its a no brainer ....we need points to stay up this bloke usually gets results .....i cannot for the life of me understand the negativity towards him ...... 

I can understand the animosity towards him i can. Because every one dreams of watching free flowing, passing, attacking football. And he on previous evidence is as far from that as you can get so I can see why he is never wanted and even chairmen sometimes are reluctant to take a punt on him. And you cant blame fans for that. We all pay our money to be entertained at the end of the day and his football is anything but.

Reality is though very few teams nowadays have managers and teams capable of delivering the champagne football we all crave. And even when they think they have signed one, it very quickly turns sour and barely lasts. 

At the end of the day football is about winning games by any means necessary ( and we have one of the very best at it ) even more so now with all the money involved and the desperate need for all to be in the Premier League.  Only a fair few get to enjoy the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, torryowl said:

they were still there when he left 6 years later 

True

But lets' also look at some of his quirks

He kept Stoke City up but how did he do it?

He also paid £10million for a 30 year old Peter Crouch

When he got sacked he'd won only four out of 23 league matches

He spent 80 million pounds in 5 years - only Chelsea and Manchester City spent more - let that sink in

He also signed  a 32/33 year old Michael Owen who everyone knew was finished at the time

I think he'll definitely keep us up

I think he'll definitely bore us to death

I think fans celebrating his arrival will soon be moaning about the football

Next season I hope he leaves and a new guy comes in to kick us on

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop