OFFICIAL - TONY PULIS APPOINTED SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY MANAGER

1 minute ago, Bulgaria said:

Hi Dronfield..... short term I don't think it's an awful appointment, we need points not style right now.

Long term he is not who I would want as manager though.

Be interesting to see how long his contact is for. I can't see a hard nosed negotiator like Pulis only signing a deal to the end of the season.

This will be his last job in football. No one wanted him until DC had a brainwave.

You are right though, it will be a 2 year plus deal.

Makes a decision on season tickets (when they are back) very easy.

• Like 3

Just now, @owlstalk said:

You've turned into a troll mate

Come on - get back to the Sticky Micky we all  know and love x

I'm offended 

I'm talking from the heart 

Mr Chansiri and Mr Paxo know what they are doing 

Bring this thread back up when where selling out Wembley in the champions league final 

Just now, Sticky Micky said:

I'm offended 

I'm talking from the heart 

Mr Chansiri and Mr Paxo know what they are doing 

Bring this thread back up when where selling out Wembley in the champions league final 

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I heard you the first time 

I'm not fully drunk from celebrating Mr Chansiri and Mr Paxos master stroke tonight 

Enjoy it 

The good times are back 

Just now, rickygoo said:

It’s about being bored to death. Hardly any shots. Hardly any goals from open play. 

he put 10,000 on the gate at stoke so he cant be that boring .......its only boring if you continually fail and he generally doesnt .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

This will be his last job in football. No one wanted him until DC had a brainwave.

You are right though, it will be a 2 year plus deal.

Makes a decision on season tickets (when they are back) very easy.

Evening mate. That's my reservation...that he's here for a whacking pay day without any real commitment. The managerial merry go round has just paused again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

On 26 December 2017, Pulis was appointed as manager of Championship club Middlesbrough, replacing the sacked Garry Monk, who left the club ninth in the Championship table, after an indifferent first half to their season.[134] On that same day as his appointment, Pulis was present in the stands to watch Middlesbrough, managed by Academy manager Craig Liddle in the interim period, defeat Bolton Wanderers 2–0 at the Riverside Stadium. Pulis' first match in charge of Middlesbrough ended in a 1–0 home defeat to Aston Villa.

Pulis' first win as Middlesbrough manager came on 1 January 2018, a comeback 3–2 victory at Preston North End. As the season continued, Middlesbrough temporarily began to suffer under the similar results under Pulis that they received under Monk's management, though Pulis turned the team's fortunes around, and they finished fifth, qualifying to the play-offs. However, they were defeated 1–0 by Villa, thus being confirmed as a Championship club for another season, much to the devastation of the club's fans, players and staff.

As Pulis' first full season as Middlesbrough emerged, the Welshman decided to bring in a few new faces to the squad to make their promotion-targeted league campaign come true. His signings included Aden Flint, Paddy McNair, Andy Lonergan, Jordan Hugill, Danny Batth, George Saville, Sam McQueen and secured the return of Muhamed Bešić. Their first game of the season was a comeback 2–2 draw with Millwall at The Den, which set them up to go on to achieve some positive results and raise their hopes of promotion.

Since then, Middlesbrough had a relatively strong run of results through to February, including a 3–2 away win against Pulis' previous club West Bromwich Albion. During the January transfer window, Pulis brought in the additions of Rajiv van la Parra, on loan from Premier League club Huddersfield Town, and former Chelsea midfielder and previous Champions League winner John Obi Mikel. His side went on to maintain a top 6 position until March, though a run of 6 consecutive defeats saw them drop out of the top six for the first time that season. At the end of the season, Pulis left the club when the decision was taken not to extend his contract.

so in summary, far better than what we have been dealt with the last 3 or 4 years.

You forgot goals scored, chances created and bored, disaffected fan base. 

1 hour ago, full fathom five said:

Bruce, McCarthy and Pearson would all do this whilst playing decent football.

Bruce is unobtainable.

Pearson has always been 100% clear - he lives in Sheffield, he wants to continue living happily in Sheffield - he has zero interest in ever managing a Sheffield club.

McCarthy is under contract elsewhere.

But yes, I’d have been happy with those too.

Although, I think it’s rounduns to say that any of them play decent football- they play effective football.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

he put 10,000 on the gate at stoke so he cant be that boring .......its only boring if you continually fail and he generally doesnt .

Agree.

Yes but can you do it on a cold night in Stoke. Is a phase known through football because of him its not because of Stoke. The calibre of his management to me. Unpopular. Yes. effective. Very.

I’ve been supporting Wednesday since 1979 and have spent many evenings walking up Herries Rd absolutely gutted when we played well and lost. I can’t ever remember being gutted when we played crap and won though. Football is a results business and Pulis is known for getting results. If you want flashy football you’re watching the wrong club in the wrong league and the wrong country. 

• Like 2

Just now, Owling Wolfe said:

They finished 5th and 7th, where are we and where were we last season.

From a completely different base. There’s enough evidence out there to show his teams are boring. It’s indisputable.

It either matters to you or it doesn’t. It does to me because of the time, energy and money football costs me and what I want from it. I understand why others want something different. I hope it’s not as bad as I fear. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, rickygoo said:

From a completely different base. There’s enough evidence out there to show his teams are boring. It’s indisputable.

It either matters to you or it doesn’t. It does to me because of the time, energy and money football costs me and what I want from it. I understand why others want something different. I hope it’s not as bad as I fear. 

I probably spend as much time and money although a little less effort as I live 3 miles from the ground. I’ll take winning ugly over losing pretty every game until we are safe from the drop.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Agree.

Yes but can you do it on a cold night in Stoke. Is a phase known through football because of him its not because of Stoke. The calibre of his management to me. Unpopular. Yes. effective. Very.

its a no brainer ....we need points to stay up this bloke usually gets results .....i cannot for the life of me understand the negativity towards him ...... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

I’ve been supporting Wednesday since 1979 and have spent many evenings walking up Herries Rd absolutely gutted when we played well and lost. I can’t ever remember being gutted when we played crap and won though. Football is a results business and Pulis is known for getting results. If you want flashy football you’re watching the wrong club in the wrong league and the wrong country. 

Doesn’t have to be flashy. Mind

numbing is a step too far though. 

• Haha 1