Statement from Garry Monk....

From a human perspective there is always a tinge of sadness when someone is given the old Spanish fiddler but from a professional perspective in a results based and highly remunerated business ... he was living on borrowed time. 
Of course , if someone like Sol Campbell or Phil Neville is appointed then the Monk decision will seem harsh !!

Guest wilyfox

Always sad when a manager is sacked as it signals a regime has failed. Would be nice to have a manager for 3yrs+ but it seems to get harder & harder to find someone who will do well enough to nail down the job for that length of time. 

Best of luck GM!

I think most fans will acknowledge how difficult the job was when he came in, no denying that. Embargo, injuries, player attitudes etc.

Hope he learns from his time here too, we were excellent like he says for 3 months under him, part of me wonders how much of that was riding the good foundations Bruce set or was that mainly GM's input? Then it all spectacularly collapsed and in true Wednesday way only got worse and he never recovered. 

He knows why he went...home form, lack of goals, out dated style of play, negative tactics, mentality for closing games out.

I will never forgive him playing FF at RWB then hawling him off at HT despite him still managing to be the best attacking player in the game.

• Like 1

In my head the live interview would have gone..

Your reaction Garry?

'Yeah its a huge disappointment. We knew it was a big job. Ive always said it was going to take time so yeah its disappointing.

Did you have enough time?

'Look, ive always said we needed time, fings dont change overnight. Its a big job and its disappointing but we move on.

And the players?

'Yeah they're disappointed and I'm disappointed too. We've got to dust ourselves down. I always said that. But we go again next week. Er...'

Edited by Nero
  • Haha 1

Decent statement from him in the end. Understandably glossing over some of the horror stats he delivered but it’s been difficult to judge given the off field issues.

All the best to him wherever he ends up.

Whilst I had become indifferent to him. I don’t think the cost of sacking him would be entirely justified (on paper and as of now) if we brought in someone like Pulis who will also minimise shots on goal and play 10 defenders.

6 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Nice statement Garry, but the only reason we’re on >0 points now is because our penalty was halved. Not because of your wonderful management.

True, but to be fair to him all he said was that the club is where it aimed to be at this point. He didn't say specifically how that had to be achieved. 

But i do get your point.