#LetTheFansIn

Guest Grandad

47 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

The high spots in the north are all university cities, Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool. I'd love to know if the rise in figures is because of students in halls of residence or if it's a rise in the general population?

And I'd like to really know not just 'I bet it's the students' style Owlstalk guess.

Students are certainly having an impact on cases rising. However those places are not hotspots just because of students. Other factors are at play too. Many university towns/ cities have not been affected to the same extent.

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Strange that Johnson pushes on with three tier restrictions despite opposition from his scientific and medical advisors !

Kids back to school enabling parents to return to work. Teens to Universities in halls of residence.

Johnson rejecting herd immunity. You could have fooled me !

The priorities must be damping down the infection rate and establishing a Social Care plan that is fit for purpose.

Science is working hard for a vaccine, we must be patient and stay safe ! 

The economy has to wait in line, keep the printers busy printing money it's all meaningless anyway. 

Wouldn’t hold your breath for a vaccine any time soon...

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
5 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Nobody in that pic looked like Josh Widdecombe though, that'd what I was getting at, looks like a stock photo, pre-COVID.

Incredible they got them wearing masks pre-Covid

2 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Students are certainly having an impact on cases rising. However those places are not hotspots just because of students. Other factors are at play too. Many university towns/ cities have not been affected to the same extent.

Ranmoor and Fulwood are the two highest cases in Sheffield who do you think it is ?

Guest Grandad
19 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Ranmoor and Fulwood are the two highest cases in Sheffield who do you think it is ?

Liberal Democrats

Wan kers

3 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

The high spots in the north are all university cities, Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool. I'd love to know if the rise in figures is because of students in halls of residence or if it's a rise in the general population?

And I'd like to really know not just 'I bet it's the students' style Owlstalk guess.

Halls of residence full of students. 

A few years ago we did repairs on properties in Ecclesall area for a landlord that rented out to students. 

There was loads of students coming and going from same properties. 

This increase in cases of virus has only taken off since they went back. 

Obviously a month on its now spreading amongst other folks. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Josh Widdecombe was supposed to be on Sunday night.

Id happily self isolate for the rest of my life than see him 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Aa I said students are having an impact. But it's not the sole reason that certain northern towns are hotspots. There's more too it than that.

Late July the infection rate in Sheffield was approx 18 per 100,000.

Late August the infecion rate in Sheffield was approx 12 per 100,000.

September thousands of students begin to return to the city.

Infection rate now is over 400 per 100,000 !

Coincidence ? WTF:

• Haha 1

On 13/10/2020 at 13:43, Rev Owl said:

I've been in Nottingham today. A third of infections are from Nottingham University, no figures from Trent so we can suppose they are the same(or higher!). Most of these positive tests show no symptoms.. Over two thirds of cases are in young people who are not in danger but may infect others.

1 hour ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I've been in Nottingham today. A third of infections are from Nottingham University, no figures from Trent so we can suppose they are the same(or higher!). Most of these positive tests show no symptoms.. Over two thirds of cases are in young people who are not in danger but may infect others.

nottingham had zero cases in the whole city for 6 weeks during summer  if you dont believe that ask some people from there they have gone from safest place to the worst in 4 weeks so the argument about students is pointless as its proven , they all live quite a few per house , residential halls absolutely no chance of sheffield or nottingham coming out of local lockdowns while there in town, roll on june 2021. 

Edited by morganowl
s
  • Thanks 1

Sadly its going the other way............up to 6 months lockdown(local) under tier 3, which it seems we are hurtling towards.....(qouted as inevitable,)maybe today(Thurs) or tomorrow...

It is no way to have to live our lives,no Gym, no live football,just telly,no pubs,Cinema, or seeing family.....No mixing households....the price paid for this in debt,homelessness,family break up and divorce,mental & physical health, and a whole host of other things will be immense..

Waaaay wider than 'just' football....but to lose something that is such a large part of our lives is more than 'just' an inconvenience.Its a part,a very important part of a much bigger picture that makes us 'tick' keeps us whole,......take it away...?Like a sensor on a modern car engine,it effects other things....

And at the end of it??  STILL  no end in sight.....   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, parajack said:

Sadly its going the other way............up to 6 months lockdown(local) under tier 3, which it seems we are hurtling towards.....(qouted as inevitable,)maybe today(Thurs) or tomorrow...

It is no way to have to live our lives,no Gym, no live football,just telly,no pubs,Cinema, or seeing family.....No mixing households....the price paid for this in debt,homelessness,family break up and divorce,mental & physical health, and a whole host of other things will be immense..

Waaaay wider than 'just' football....but to lose something that is such a large part of our lives is more than 'just' an inconvenience.Its a part,a very important part of a much bigger picture that makes us 'tick' keeps us whole,......take it away...?Like a sensor on a modern car engine,it effects other things....

And at the end of it??  STILL  no end in sight.....   

To me the restrictions in the medium areas feels about right at this moment.
I dont think I would support Sheffield being moved into Tier 3 as seems very likely (Although I would still follow the rules)
Think a second lockdown only puts off the infection rate for a few weeks and the knock on effect is too great.
Everyone seems to be pinning their hopes on a vaccine due at earliest Spring 2021 with no guarantee.
I wouldnt be confident of the Government implementing the vaccine programme successfully after the Track and Trace embarrassment.