#LetTheFansIn

Guest Grandad

28 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Wouldn't a full lockdown though just delay people dying by a few months while having a knock on effect on there economy, cancer patients, mental health etc?

Also exponential growth etc...

If 1 person infected 10 in a week for example in 2 weeks they would have caused 100 infections. If you locked down for a week they've only infect 10 so afer another week in the first scenario there's a 1000 infected but with a week out it's only a hundred.

Those numbers are clearly increased to help explain it but the point of a firebreak/circuit breaker lockdown is to stop the number growing based on bigger and bigger each week. Back to when we all used to talk about flattening the curve in March, we seem to have forgotten about that one now and instead we're all meant to be going out for dinner every night

11 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Depends what you do with the months. If we're 3 months from a vaccine a short lockdown could save thousands of lives until we're in a position to roll it out. We're starting deliberate human infection trials in January, we just need to slow the thing down effectively

IF we are 3 months from a vaccine. What happens if not? We don't have a vaccine for a common cold yet.

25 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

IF we are 3 months from a vaccine. What happens if not? We don't have a vaccine for a common cold yet.

Good question, the alternatives are millions of deaths or a fundamental change in the way we live our lives.

With regard to other vaccines there are thousands of types of "common cold" you can't make a vaccine for it because you don't know which one someone is going to catch.

With covid-19 we have vaccines that work, there are various approaches targeting different parts of the virus and different mechanisms of it's spread and growth. We know they work, they've been tested. The delay is making sure they don't kill people or cause side effects. Normally those tests take years, we're fast tracking them and then normally it would take years to make the vaccines in enough scale for everyone that needs them. In this case we've got companies producing billions of doses of several vaccines already, paid for in advance by countries and charities (notably Bill Gates despite the crazy rumours that he's the devil). That way the day after the trials are finished, which ever vaccine is found to be safe can be shipped around the world and given to the vulnerable so we can all get on with our lives. That's the only way this ends. We can't wish it all away and all pop out to Nando's.

It's really about time we just got on with it and got things going again. Don't wait for a vaccine that may never arrive.

Something about this whole thing stinks, I know a few people that have had relatives die of Cancer this year and the death went down as Covid-19. Does anyone else know anything similar happen to anyone they know? 

I can't help feeling the numbers have been inflated to justify the over the top precautions.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

It's really about time we just got on with it and got things going again. Don't wait for a vaccine that may never arrive.

Something about this whole thing stinks, I know a few people that have had relatives die of Cancer this year and the death went down as Covid-19. Does anyone else know anything similar happen to anyone they know? 

I can't help feeling the numbers have been inflated to justify the over the top precautions.

My wife worked on a covid ward and saw hundreds of agonising, gasping, lonely deaths. They died of covid, it went down as covid. It was covid.

3 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

My wife worked on a covid ward and saw hundreds of agonising, gasping, lonely deaths. They died of covid, it went down as covid. It was covid.

I'm not doubting it's an actual thing for a second. I just doubt the need for such restrictions, the survival rate is so high.

In the line of work I used to do, alot of things happened the man on the street wouldn't actually believe. Joe Public only know 10% of what truly happens in the world. Nothing would surprise me.

3 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

I'm not doubting it's an actual thing for a second. I just doubt the need for such restrictions, the survival rate is so high.

In the line of work I used to do, alot of things happened the man on the street wouldn't actually believe. Joe Public only know 10% of what truly happens in the world. Nothing would surprise me.

If I told you one of every hundred people in a school was going to die from a cold, would you send your kids in? or only 2 skittle in a packet will kill you, would you eat any?

The survival rate is up because we have better treatments and there is room for equipment and patients in hospitals. We're not far off that second point no longer being true and then the numbers go up again. A mate of mine worked on the ward in March and April where they put the patients that they didn't have enough ventilators for. They lost 90%+ of the people that were sent to that ward. Her job was basically holding a phone up to the dying so families could say goodbye.

I don't get what the point of a conspiracy around this would be. Shaft the world economy so that Zoom and iFollow can have a good year?

3 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

If I told you one of every hundred people in a school was going to die from a cold, would you send your kids in? or only 2 skittle in a packet will kill you, would you eat any?

The survival rate is up because we have better treatments and there is room for equipment and patients in hospitals. We're not far off that second point no longer being true and then the numbers go up again. A mate of mine worked on the ward in March and April where they put the patients that they didn't have enough ventilators for. They lost 90%+ of the people that were sent to that ward. Her job was basically holding a phone up to the dying so families could say goodbye.

I don't get what the point of a conspiracy around this would be. Shaft the world economy so that Zoom and iFollow can have a good year?

That's pretty much what we were told at the beginning though isn't it? 'You'll all lose family members & people you know to this virus'

So far that hasn't been the case for me and people I know (i only know 1 or 2 people that have even had the test) Possibly down to where we are situated & also possibly down to mixing with fitter and healthier people who tend to look after themselves pretty well. Who knows?

I'm not too sure about conspiracy theories, i'm not really into them. What I do know is the governement don't care about my health, your health or the NHS. They just do what whoever pays them the most money wants them to do.

7 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

That's pretty much what we were told at the beginning though isn't it? 'You'll all lose family members & people you know to this virus'

So far that hasn't been the case for me and people I know (i only know 1 or 2 people that have even had the test) Possibly down to where we are situated & also possibly down to mixing with fitter and healthier people who tend to look after themselves pretty well. Who knows?

I'm not too sure about conspiracy theories, i'm not really into them. What I do know is the governement don't care about my health, your health or the NHS. They just do what whoever pays them the most money wants them to do.

Don't disagree with any of that. Maybe I'm an idealist in not wanting anyone to die from things they don't need to

1 hour ago, LiamAP22D said:

So are you saying that Doctors lied and falsified legal documents? Where they could lose their job and even be imprisoned?  

Would you do that especially if you didn't agree with the sitting government

6 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Don't disagree with any of that. Maybe I'm an idealist in not wanting anyone to die from things they don't need to

And good on you for it & I sympathize with what your wife and friends have had to endure this year & all the families that have lost people.

I just don't see shutting the world down and hiding from something indefinitely is the answer. A vaccine may never come... and then what? The Spanish Flu pandemic began in 1918 and no vaccine was available until the 1940's. I personally think we'll be very lucky to have a vaccine within the next 3 years.

Anyway i'll let you try and enjoy the rest of your day, fella. take care.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So are you saying that Doctors lied and falsified legal documents? Where they could lose their job and even be imprisoned?  

In this instance it would appear so, the lady didn't have an autopsy. She had Cancer of the lungs and Liver & I believe had been treated for covid-19 earlier in the year when the main spike happened. She then died a few month's later and the cause was said to be covid-19. Just seems strange to me.

1 minute ago, LiamAP22D said:

In this instance it would appear so, the lady didn't have an autopsy. She had Cancer of the lungs and Liver & I believe had been treated for covid-19 earlier in the year when the main spike happened. She then died a few month's later and the cause was said to be covid-19. Just seems strange to me.

Doesn't sound so clear cut now that you have mentioned that she may have had Covid. 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Doesn't sound so clear cut now that you have mentioned that she may have had Covid. 

To my knowledge she'd had it a few month's previously & got the better of it, I believe.

I know the family weren't happy with it anyway. they didn't agree, but I have tried not to pry too much as you'd understand in the circumstances.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

We are far more than 3 months away from a vaccine, if we ever get one, and if there is one it wont work for everyone (the flu jab doesn't) so we need to find a way to live with this as it is here forever

33 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They don't have to lie, the statement they make says 

this number of people have died within 28 days of having a positive test, it doesn't actually say what they have died of

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Forgetting football for a minute, I would have thought that someone somewhere ought to be getting concerned about other illnesses, injuries and diseases that aren't getting treated as a result of the C/virus pandemic.

For instance, it was estimated that around a million women have not been screened for breast cancer - That's about 8,000 women walking around who may already have breast cancer but don't know it.

Even if the virus died out tomorrow, the backlog of treatments especially on the NHS, will take years to recover.

Sort of puts pubs and football into perspective.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A close family friend passed away yesterday with this dreadful virus. He was Wednesday through and through, this is the first person I know who's passed away.

So let's not get complacent, time will come when we can go and enjoy it properly, like we used to.

Keep yourselves safe. UTO!!!