Keiren Westwood on his way OUT of SWFC

18 minutes ago, tomhollywood said:

I manage 65 members of staff.

Unfortunately I can't sell them or move them on.

So the few who are disruptive and create issues are placed where they cause the least disruption. 

What's that, making boxes in the box room? It's a far cry from professional football where a decision to put someone on gardening leave is basically not having them work at all at the cost of a small fortune

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

What's that, making boxes in the box room? It's a far cry from professional football where a decision to put someone on gardening leave is basically not having them work at all at the cost of a small fortune

Chansiri  is LOADED - it's only the EFL stopping  him spending millions!

Owlstalk Shop

Before Westwood joined Wednesday from Sunderland he spent the last six months there on the treatment table with a shoulder injury.

During his time there he also threatened to leave via the Irish Times if he wasn’t first choice for the following Saturday’s game.

Sound familiar?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Before Westwood joined Wednesday from Sunderland he spent the last six months there on the treatment table with a shoulder injury.

During his time there he also threatened to leave via the Irish Times if he wasn’t first choice for the following Saturday’s game.

Sound familiar?

I don't think there is a doubt that he's not the easiest character to appease but what is a managers job actually to do if he were to freeze out every difficult character that comes his way? 

Imagine if Fergie was like that, at various points freeze Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney etc out?

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't think there is a doubt that he's not the easiest character to appease but what is a managers job actually to do if he were to freeze out every difficult character that comes his way? 

Imagine if Fergie was like that, at various points freeze Cantona, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney etc out?

Difference is cantona , Ronaldo etc were superstars . Westwood is a past it, journey man , crock 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Difference is cantona , Ronaldo etc were superstars . Westwood is a past it, journey man , crock 

Yes but Man Utd are one of the world's top clubs, relatively Westwood was one of our superstars and a fan favourite. He was still the best keeper we had at the point of being frozen out and it would have been better for the younger keepers to prove themselves as being better than him rather than just freezing him out and putting those two in.

It cannot be said based on results after him being dropped that he made the right decision. Neither keeper have shown their worth as being championship level keepers, results are generally poor and we will have paid Westwood to do nothing for 2 years.

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

That is terrible management though, he was a key player on big money, you shouldn't put him on gardening leave. He should have found a way to either 1) resolve whatever the issue was and play him or 2) sell him

1)Going over old ground through a couple of managers 2) He`s been the No.1 priority to get out of the door, you can only sell if there`s someone to buy.

Indirectly, the chairman has to hold his hand up to the latest situation, imho.

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

That is terrible management though, he was a key player on big money, you shouldn't put him on gardening leave. He should have found a way to either 1) resolve whatever the issue was and play him or 2) sell him

You do know that to sell a player you have to have both an interested club who is willing to pay enough wages to entice the player to play for said club as well as a player who is willing to leave?

Also a chairman who actually has an ounce of business sense who sees footballers for what they are (assets or liabilities) would help.

40 minutes ago, andypandy said:

I have no idea what happened behind the scenes, to bring us to where we are, bit i am glad it may come to a resolution, i wish him well, and hopefully we can all move forward from here.

Something happened at Christmas. PM @@owlstalk, he knows what happened. 

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yes but Man Utd are one of the world's top clubs, relatively Westwood was one of our superstars and a fan favourite. He was still the best keeper we had at the point of being frozen out and it would have been better for the younger keepers to prove themselves as being better than him rather than just freezing him out and putting those two in.

It cannot be said based on results after him being dropped that he made the right decision. Neither keeper have shown their worth as being championship level keepers, results are generally poor and we will have paid Westwood to do nothing for 2 years.

Would that be the Man Utd who have frozen out one or two players themselves in the past? Wasn’t Fergie renowned for getting rid if the presence of an individual threatened team harmony and dynamics. 

2 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

1)Going over old ground through a couple of managers 2) He`s been the No.1 priority to get out of the door, you can only sell if there`s someone to buy.

Indirectly, the chairman has to hold his hand up to the latest situation, imho.

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

You do know that to sell a player you have to have both an interested club who is willing to pay enough wages to entice the player to play for said club as well as a player who is willing to leave?

Also a chairman who actually has an ounce of business sense who sees footballers for what they are (assets or liabilities) would help.

But nobody wants to buy so you gotta get the best out of him and that is the managers job. He can't have done anything that bad or he would have been sacked.

It's difficult to know Chansiri's part he can't win either way if you talk like that as it would be regarded as interfering if he told Monk he must play

1 minute ago, Devonstrix said:

Would that be the Man Utd who have frozen out one or two players themselves in the past? Wasn’t Fergie renowned for getting rid if the presence of an individual threatened team harmony and dynamics. 

He did move them on but he didn't leave valuable assets out of the squad for a couple of years beforehand

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think Westwood has been demonised, but seems likeable enough to me. You don't hear many rumours of him being a terrible person, just that he can be frosty. Is that justification of being frozen out? He can't have done anything *that* bad. 

Yeah exactly

The fact that numerous managers over his career have frozen him out is baffling

Must just be a massive coincidence that it's him every time

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah exactly

The fact that numerous managers over his career have frozen him out is baffling

Must just be a massive coincidence that it's him every time

Frozen out or dropped for playing reasons in the past? Jos froze him out, and look how clever that idea was. Easy win for Bruce to put him back in the side.

1 hour ago, Devonstrix said:

But he’s not the best keeper in the league and hasn’t been for sometime. If he was, we would be getting trampled in the rush to sign him. Combination of loss of form, injury and bloody mindedness have meant the tail end of his career is fizzling out. Shame, but seems true. 

Agree. Lost his place on form and hasn't done enough to win it back. Been available for transfer for the best part of 18 months and nobody rushing to sign him. 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He did move them on but he didn't leave valuable assets out of the squad for a couple of years beforehand

I’m not a big Monk fan, but I’m not gonna criticise him for this. Clearly, there are others at the club who should be doing their best to move Westwood out and it hasn’t happened. Westwood may  have a bad name now and other clubs think the combination of injury, the march of time and threat to harmony In their squads, make him too big a gamble. Somebody will come in for him eventually, but if he can’t get the same money, it will tell us more about him if he decides to just stay and collect the dosh every month, rather than go and play.  Trouble makers in any work environment can cause serious disruption and it doesn’t matter if they are in an office, or rich footballers the effects are the same. I’m sure Monk would have loved to get him onside, same with Hutch and Forestieri.