Keiren Westwood on his way OUT of SWFC

Guest Willow Owl
23 minutes ago, BIG D said:

If our keepers were being dropped on form then shouldn’t Westwood have had another chance before the end of the season? 
Both Dawson & Wildsmith put in performances far worse than Westwood had previously. 

Doesn’t that suggest there is more of an issue with Westwood if he wasn’t considered.

Guest Grandad
6 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Doesn’t that suggest there is more of an issue with Westwood if he wasn’t considered.

So why did we give him a 3rd new contract?

8 hours ago, the_vinyl_frontier said:

Yet another Monk fkup. We are in need of a decent first team keeper and we have one in Westwood. Why can't Monk get over himself and start playing him

i went home and away and earlier last season he was a disaster nobody argued that he needed to be dropped  , then dawson took the mantle . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Selective memory.

He was a great keeper but thats all in the past.

The last half dozen games he played for us he made some horrendous mistakes. The decision is not just based on his character from what I can see. 

5 hours ago, Grandad said:

Last half dozen?

Hull away - They scored with a free header, defender nowhere near him, after Murphy allowed the cross without a challenge. Lost 1-0.

Wigan home - won with a clean sheet

Leeds home - Draw with a clean sheet

Blackburn away - kept us in it in the first half (especially with a double effort from short range) - could have done better with Blackburns first (looping header) but the winner took a huge deflection

Swansea home - dropped the ball for Swanseas first (as did Swanseas keeper for Wednesdays first). Clear foul on him preventing him jump for Swanseas 2nd - but yes - could have done better. A bad game.

WBA away - could do absolutely nothing about their first as Borner totally lost his man and Palmer cost us the 2nd stood waving his arms in the air for offside

To give YOU the benefit - we'd have beat Swansea had he not had a bad game. So he cost us 2 points.

Yes in that Swansea draw he made at least 2 world class saves, so it could be said he won us a point.

Again in the Leeds home game 2 fantastic saves and Sky's MOM.

Only 12 goals conceded in 10 games, hardly disastrous as some make out, especially with what followed after he was dropped.

8 hours ago, westy365owl said:

If you listen to Kirkland interview for under the cosh he alluded to the fact that Westwood has a bit of a name for himself in the game of a trouble maker and issues with his attitude. 

But to be fair to him he also says he didn't have any issues with him in his time here

They seemed to get on well when Kirkland came back to do this piece for SKY.

Guest Grandad

It's just another example of our club badly handling one of its most valuable assets

From a club that's supposedly learning the lessons of the past

Guest mrbluesky

There are players/workers up and down the country that cause unrest, it`s how you deal with it.

My feeling is that Monk want`s a whole new fresh start with no distractions, in different times, I`m sure Monk would have handled it differently.

On this occasion, Westwood has been put on gardening leave.

The simple reason is clash of personalities, no fall outs, they just see things differently.

Take Bruce, he hated him at one time (Sunderland) , but then subsequently gave him a 2 year deal with us. 

Guest Bulgaria
13 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

He should be playing every week, for somebody

Indeed, and if it wasn't for his tendency to get injured and allegedly bad attitude, he would be.

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

It's just another example of our club badly handling one of its most valuable assets

From a club that's supposedly learning the lessons of the past

Maybe DC is slowly learning from his mistakes which has been reflected in the recruitment so far.

However, from a team point of view, the manager doesn't want KW in the side from a morale point of view for whatever reason?

In terms of a sale, because of the current climate, unless a club is desperate for a keeper and willing to pay then they may just bide their time until his contract runs out.

Westwood signed his new contract the week before Bruce resigned so was obviously part of Bruce's plans, presume that's why a contract was offered.

9 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

They seemed to get on well when Kirkland came back to do this piece for SKY.

Like I put he said he didn't have problems with Westwood but he hinted at the fact that Westwood is known in the game as someone who causes problems 

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

There are players/workers up and down the country that cause unrest, it`s how you deal with it.

My feeling is that Monk want`s a whole new fresh start with no distractions, in different times, I`m sure Monk would have handled it differently.

On this occasion, Westwood has been put on gardening leave.

The simple reason is clash of personalities, no fall outs, they just see things differently.

Take Bruce, he hated him at one time (Sunderland) , but then subsequently gave him a 2 year deal with us. 

That is terrible management though, he was a key player on big money, you shouldn't put him on gardening leave. He should have found a way to either 1) resolve whatever the issue was and play him or 2) sell him

14 minutes ago, cardiffowl06 said:

Letting the best keeper in the league leave. Incredible really.

But he’s not the best keeper in the league and hasn’t been for sometime. If he was, we would be getting trampled in the rush to sign him. Combination of loss of form, injury and bloody mindedness have meant the tail end of his career is fizzling out. Shame, but seems true. 

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

That is terrible management though, he was a key player on big money, you shouldn't put him on gardening leave. He should have found a way to either 1) resolve whatever the issue was and play him or 2) sell him

I manage 65 members of staff.

Unfortunately I can't sell them or move them on.

So the few who are disruptive and create issues are placed where they cause the least disruption. 

• Like 2