Des Hazel @Rotherham

Can remember a youth game against Newcastle, where our front five were, Hazel, Siggi Jonsson, David Hirst, Carl Bradshaw and Wayne Jacobs All went on to play league football at a reasonable standard 

When was the last time we could say that about our youth team

17 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I am sure hazel played in that random tournament in 88 where we got to the final at Wembley, and Colin west scored a screamer. 

Oh yeah. We were in the pinstripes and wasn't it something like 20 minutes per half so most of the games had very few goals? Lost on penalties in the final to Forest I think.

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Oh yeah. We were in the pinstripes and wasn't it something like 20 minutes per half so most of the games had very few goals? Lost on penalties in the final to Forest I think.

it was the football league centenary tournament 

4 minutes ago, gazzatheowl said:

His lad used to play for my local team Scarborough athletic and now plays for Whitby town. Very good non league striker surprised some league two/national league clubs haven’t taken a punt on him.

Think he was at Chesterfield at one time, with Waddle’s lad

1 minute ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The Mercantile Credit Cup, two day tournament in April(?) 1987, I was there for the Saturday, all supporters of the competing teams (I seem to remember qualification went on respective league positions from that season?   Might be wrong though) had their own standing pens, IIRC we were in a pen next to the Tranmere fans, who took quite a few to be fair.  You could walk all the way round the internal concourses in the stadium, fascinating for someone who'd never been to Wembley before and who thought it might be the only chance!.    Sat in the seats just above where the royals normally sit and then planted ourselves behind the "home" dugouts.

Saw a spectacularly drunk Wolves fan offering everyone out, coppers just laughed, as we all did, he passed out covered in his own p.1ss!! 😄

Was it Tango

2 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The Mercantile Credit Cup, two day tournament in April(?) 1987, I was there for the Saturday, all supporters of the competing teams (I seem to remember qualification went on respective league positions from that season?   Might be wrong though) had their own standing pens, IIRC we were in a pen next to the Tranmere fans, who took quite a few to be fair.  You could walk all the way round the internal concourses in the stadium, fascinating for someone who'd never been to Wembley before and who thought it might be the only chance!.    Sat in the seats just above where the royals normally sit and then planted ourselves behind the "home" dugouts.

Saw a spectacularly drunk Wolves fan offering everyone out, coppers just laughed, as we all did, he passed out covered in his own p.1ss!! 😄

I seem to recall a few sets of fans joining together to support a team whenever they were playing, but everybody, and I mean everybody, joining together and supporting whoever L**ds were playing.  Never been liked have they!!

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Can remember a youth game against Newcastle, where our front five were, Hazel, Siggi Jonsson, David Hirst, Carl Bradshaw and Wayne Jacobs All went on to play league football at a reasonable standard 

When was the last time we could say that about our youth team

Hirst was signed from Barnsley for over 200k so not really a product of our youth system back then. 

I'm pretty sure we paid a fee for Siggi as well. 

4 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Hirst was signed from Barnsley for over 200k so not really a product of our youth system back then. 

I'm pretty sure we paid a fee for Siggi as well. 

We did, but both played for our Northern Intermediate side The side that day, included 10 players who went on to make league appearances for us, or elsewhere. Think only centre back Kenney never made it, as far as I know. Would you get that now, 10 of our current U18s side, going on to forge careers as professional footballers. It was some achievement