Not to burst the bubble ...

Guest mrbluesky
24 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I know we’ve had a bit of pre season optimism, but bearing in mind we need top half form just to get fourth bottom, how many of our squad are actually good enough for that?

I’ve categorised our squad under three headings:

- Top half Champs player 

- Bottom half Champs player

- League One player

It makes grim reading. Without some serious additions out wide and up front I’d be worried about staying up, even without -12

GKs

Wildsmith - Bottom half

Dawson - Bottom half

CBs

Iorfa - Top half

Dunkley - Bottom half (never played higher in his career)

Borner - Bottom half (only 4 CBs dribbled past more in Champs last season)

Lees - Bottom half

Van Aken - League 1

Urogihde - League 1 

RWBs

Palmer - Top half as a defensive full back in a back 4, as a wing back bottom half 

Odubajo - League 1

LWBs

Harris - Bottom half esp as a WB

Penney - League 1

CMs

Bannan - Top half

Luongo - Top half 

Reach - Current form have to say bottom half unless he can have a dramatic uptake 

Brown - Potentially top half of stays fit

Hunt/FDB/Shaw - League 1 for now 

STs

Rhodes - League 1

About right, to be fair.

I guess we all knew the state of affairs, the form table doesn’t lie. Our fate next season, was all about what Monk could do in this window. It was clear that we needed to add 5 or 6 players to the starting eleven, that were better than the options who struggled last year. If we do that, I think we’ll be OK

Guest mrbluesky
23 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Good to see you're positive about the first year of monk's five year plan...that's what I like to see. Keep up the good work

Could be worse Davey...

Save Our Owls :sad:

3 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

And where are they now? One can't can't get a game for the side we beat 3-1 that day and the other is twiddling his thumbs without a club.

So what attacking replacements can we call upon now then, starters, never mind off the bench

Just now, gurujuan said:

So what attacking replacements can we call upon now then, starters, never mind off the bench

I'll tell you on the 12th of September when the season starts when hopefully we will have those options.

I think we're 5 quality (top half champ players) away from a squad that can survive. Of course a league 1 player can make the step up and I hope the likes of Penney do that quickly but yeah realistically we're still way short of challenging for survival!!!

Still time yet to bring in a few players and it would be no surprise to find us struggling to score goals this season.

Need in our situation to get good team spirit going, cant afford a few big name players not pulling in the same direction as we have had over last couple of seasons.

Think the first 5 games will be crucial for setting the tone of the season.

• Like 1

Any of us who watched those post Christmas games, would have agreed, to start turning things around, that starting eleven needed a huge influx of quality. Brown brings us a little bit of that quality, but there is still plenty to do. At least another 5 signings of that ilk, or better, are needed if we are to progress

• Like 2

GKs

Westwood  - Top Half

Wildsmith - Bottom half

Dawson - Bottom half

CBs

Iorfa - Top half

Dunkley - Bottom half 

Borner - Bottom half 

Lees - Bottom half

Van Aken - League 1

Urogihde - League 1 

RWBs

Palmer - League 1

Odubajo - Bottom Half

LWBs

Harris - Bottom half 

Penney - Unknown (Potentially Top Half)

CMs

Bannan - Top half

Luongo - Top half 

Reach - Top half

Brown - Top Half

Hunt/FDB/Shaw -Unknown 

STs

Rhodes - League 1

My Assesment which isnt too dis simular to the OP's

Guest Jack the Hat

It’s about the sum of the parts though. To a degree what’s happening reminds me of England in the World Cup . No great individual players but together formed a cohesive unit. For me the best bit will be seeing us attack with pace and numbers. For too long we have been slow and predictable. I agree with the ratings though. V accurate. I would anticipate dunckley will be better and Rhodes has it in him to be better. And also Brown. Good post. Bet you don’t get invited to many parties though do you Mr Buzzkill,

22 minutes ago, Plonk said:

For balance we started last season with.

westwood

odebanjo Tom lees Borner palmer

reach K Lee bannan hutch harris

fletcher.

won 31 at reading

as it stands line up v cardiff

dawson

odebanjo dunkley borner palmer

reach bannan luongo brown harris

Rhodes

stronger Or weaker?

Weaker.

3 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

I'll tell you on the 12th of September when the season starts when hopefully we will have those options.

That’s all I’m saying though, and I guess that was Beloved Aunt’s point, as of now, we are still a team who will struggle, and this next week is absolutely crucial. I’m still optimistic that Monk will get the business done, but I think it’s reasonable to point out to some on here, that as of now, not much has changed for the better Here’s hoping

35 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

CBs

Borner - Bottom half (only 4 CBs dribbled past more in Champs last season)

Where are you getting this from pal?

According to WhoScored.com, Borner was dribbled past 0.6 times per game on average. That ranks him as 24th in the league for CB's as most dribbled past. Notable CB's that were dribbled past more per game include Aden Flint (0.7), Shaun Hutchinson (0.8) and Michael Hector (0.9). In fact, one of the least "dribbled past" players in the entire league at 0.2 on average per game is... Liam Palmer.

Basically, not only do I disagree with your assessment that he was dribbled past more than nearly every single other CB in the league last season, but that stat alone does not indicate quality or lack thereof. Otherwise, Liam Palmer is a bit of a world-beater at this level...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Plonk said:

For balance we started last season with.

westwood

odebanjo Tom lees Borner palmer

reach K Lee bannan hutch harris

fletcher.

won 31 at reading

as it stands line up v cardiff

dawson

odebanjo dunkley borner palmer

reach bannan luongo brown harris

Rhodes

stronger Or weaker?

IMO, pretty much on par if you ignore that final front line.

The issue is definitely the lack of options from the bench though... outside of that starting XI, it feels like we've got nothing more to offer