Not to burst the bubble ...

49 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

To a certain extent it doesn’t matter whether it is a league of Liverpool’s or a league of Accrington Stanley’s...minus 12 is a significant disadvantage as regardless of the quality games will be played and points will be won by those playing. 

and would have been relegated with the squad we had last season, despite the benefit of a good start

On 27/08/2020 at 17:53, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Dom Howson's tweet this evening helps to explain my thinking on this a little more...

Do we still use the team Bruce brought in for transfers Dom?

DomHowson

5:12 PM

Yes. David Downes and Dean Hughes play a big part in Wednesday's recruitment strategy and lining up deals. They work with the rest of the committee: Dejphon Chansiri, Amadeu Paixao and Garry Monk. Chansiri has the final say on any deals.

Monk is one part of the transfer committee. To hold him entirely responsible for the failings of the club when we've ended up with a threadbare squad shorn of most of its quality, serious P&S issues which linger to this day, and a points deduction, seems a little harsh in my eyes. 

He'll want all of his desired signings in already, but it doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. Ultimately, he'll have to accept the players the chairman is able / willing to pay for.

A man who openly admitted he knows nothing about football is in charge of our transfer policy. Appreciate it’s his money but no wonder the club is in a mess both financially and playing staff wise. 

I think we need to judge by the time we get some strikers in. But having seen some shrewd buys in Dykes, Walker, Leko go elsewhere it’s concerning in terms of our position. There are decent players who would come here as we’ve seen but whether we are under our own or EFL financial restrictions it’s unclear. We might be trying to get better players than expected. Brown being a good example of that.

I think the “bottom half” championship tag  for players is ok as it doesn’t mean anything other than that they haven’t come from a team that is already doing well. The league is very competitive and players at the right age can soon change their status. The plan will have been to take a step back and develop a lesser known group, but the -12 hampers us as there is a greater onus on short term survival