Not to burst the bubble ...

2 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

I will give Monk a chance to rebuild the squad he inherited now he has his own staff in place.
Bruce, our last so called proper manager said 4 transfer windows were needed. 
I fear that parts of our fan base won’t give  4 months never mind 4 transfer windows. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.

The problem with that is, you can’t take 4 windows when you’ve released 12 of your players all in one hit

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
14 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The problem with that is, you can’t take 4 windows when you’ve released 12 of your players all in one hit

When making that statement, Wouldn’t Bruce also have known how many were going to be released and when.  Maybe he was meaning a complete squad overhaul.

7 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Without minus points and presumimg we get 2-3 more strikers in of Windass sort of standard. I'd say this team would finish at best 12th and worst 18th. 

With minus points 4th bottom is what would please me at the end of the season. 

In which case, look forward to feeling pleased  

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

When making that statement, Wouldn’t Bruce also have known how many were going to be released and when.  Maybe he was meaning a complete squad overhaul.

Who knows, he had his own large scale recruitment job to cover those we released last year

7 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

No no no dont start making excuses for him already.

Weve been assured by the man himself HE is sorting this team out, Dom conformed Monk has the final say on transfers. This is not the recruitment team, chansiri or anyone else if our relegation form continues into this season it IS ALL GARRY MONK'S FAULT.

Dom Howson's tweet this evening helps to explain my thinking on this a little more...

Do we still use the team Bruce brought in for transfers Dom?

DomHowson

5:12 PM

Yes. David Downes and Dean Hughes play a big part in Wednesday's recruitment strategy and lining up deals. They work with the rest of the committee: Dejphon Chansiri, Amadeu Paixao and Garry Monk. Chansiri has the final say on any deals.

Monk is one part of the transfer committee. To hold him entirely responsible for the failings of the club when we've ended up with a threadbare squad shorn of most of its quality, serious P&S issues which linger to this day, and a points deduction, seems a little harsh in my eyes. 

He'll want all of his desired signings in already, but it doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. Ultimately, he'll have to accept the players the chairman is able / willing to pay for.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

I know we’ve had a bit of pre season optimism, but bearing in mind we need top half form just to get fourth bottom, how many of our squad are actually good enough for that?

I’ve categorised our squad under three headings:

- Top half Champs player 

- Bottom half Champs player

- League One player

It makes grim reading. Without some serious additions out wide and up front I’d be worried about staying up, even without -12

GKs

Wildsmith - Bottom half

Dawson - Bottom half

CBs

Iorfa - Top half

Dunkley - Bottom half (never played higher in his career)

Borner - Bottom half (only 4 CBs dribbled past more in Champs last season)

Lees - Bottom half

Van Aken - League 1

Urogihde - League 1 

RWBs

Palmer - Top half as a defensive full back in a back 4, as a wing back bottom half 

Odubajo - League 1

LWBs

Harris - Bottom half esp as a WB

Penney - League 1

CMs

Bannan - Top half

Luongo - Top half 

Reach - Current form have to say bottom half unless he can have a dramatic uptake 

Brown - Potentially top half of stays fit

Hunt/FDB/Shaw - League 1 for now 

STs

Rhodes - League 1

since we’re obviously prepping for life in league 1, that team isn’t too bad..

13 hours ago, Plonk said:

For balance we started last season with.

westwood

odebanjo Tom lees Borner palmer

reach K Lee bannan hutch harris

fletcher.

won 31 at reading

as it stands line up v cardiff

dawson

odebanjo dunkley borner palmer

reach bannan luongo brown harris

Rhodes

stronger Or weaker?

Overall weaker but midfield does look better to me and could still get stronger. However, the spine of the team is weak, which is a concern for any team but especially a team with a points deduction.

Add Iorfa to that line-up alongside Dunkley; an experienced commanding keeper, better full backs, Murphy or similar, a defensive midfielder and a Fletcher replacement and we'd be stronger. But can we bring in what we require within P&S and with our points handicap? 

Clearly, there's a lot of work still to be done. The first three signings look good but we lack strength in depth, leadership and most importantly a spine to the team. Hopefully some players surprise us and we somehow play more effectively as a team defensively and attacking. Difficult to be optimistic until our attack is significantly strengthened. 

5 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Overall weaker but midfield does look better to me and could still get stronger. However, the spine of the team is weak, which is a concern for any team but especially a team with a points deduction.

Add Iorfa to that line-up alongside Dunkley; an experienced commanding keeper, better full backs, Murphy or similar, a defensive midfielder and a Fletcher replacement and we'd be stronger. But can we bring in what we require within P&S and with our points handicap? 

Clearly, there's a lot of work still to be done. The first three signings look good but we lack strength in depth, leadership and most importantly a spine to the team. Hopefully some players surprise us and we somehow play more effectively as a team defensively and attacking. Difficult to be optimistic until our attack is significantly strengthened. 

So just six players needed to make us competitive? Think that’s a fair assessment tbh. Butwill we get those?

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

So just six players needed to make us competitive? Think that’s a fair assessment tbh. Butwill we get those?

Yes, I believe 6 more players will do it and most of them would have to be starters. When I looked at the side that finished the the season, I thought it needed a minimum of 6 upgrades We may already have signed 2, so sort out left back, a DMF and couple of strikers, and that’s real improvement. Another back up striker, and perhaps another centre back, to beef up the squad

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, I believe 6 more players will do it and most of them would have to be starters. When I looked at the side that finished the the season, I thought it needed a minimum of 6 upgrades We may already have signed 2, so sort out left back, a DMF and couple of strikers, and that’s real improvement. Another back up striker, and perhaps another centre back, to beef up the squad

The big, nay massive, question though is will we get those six in, or rely on what we’ve got/ youngsters, and will the players we bring in, be better than those who have left, or need replacing?

20 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The big, nay massive, question though is will we get those six in, or rely on what we’ve got/ youngsters, and will the players we bring in, be better than those who have left, or need replacing?

They have to be better Think back to our hapless form post Christmas, that cannot be swept under the carpet. Either those players weren’t good enough, or the manager couldn’t motivate them. So what do we do, we either replace them with better players, or find a manager who can motivate them. 
That’s  not intended as a dig at Monk, those are the choices. For what it’s worth, I believe it’s the former, with perhaps a bit of the latter. We were so inept in that period, that it’s impossible to contemplate going into next season with basically the same set of players. That would be suicide

Edited by gurujuan

14 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Dom Howson's tweet this evening helps to explain my thinking on this a little more...

Do we still use the team Bruce brought in for transfers Dom?

DomHowson

5:12 PM

Yes. David Downes and Dean Hughes play a big part in Wednesday's recruitment strategy and lining up deals. They work with the rest of the committee: Dejphon Chansiri, Amadeu Paixao and Garry Monk. Chansiri has the final say on any deals.

Monk is one part of the transfer committee. To hold him entirely responsible for the failings of the club when we've ended up with a threadbare squad shorn of most of its quality, serious P&S issues which linger to this day, and a points deduction, seems a little harsh in my eyes. 

He'll want all of his desired signings in already, but it doesn't work like that, I'm afraid. Ultimately, he'll have to accept the players the chairman is able / willing to pay for.

When he says Chansiri has the final say , i hope that means from a financial point of view and not a footballing one.

On 27/08/2020 at 08:32, beloved_aunt said:

I know we’ve had a bit of pre season optimism, but bearing in mind we need top half form just to get fourth bottom, how many of our squad are actually good enough for that?

I’ve categorised our squad under three headings:

- Top half Champs player 

- Bottom half Champs player

- League One player

It makes grim reading. Without some serious additions out wide and up front I’d be worried about staying up, even without -12

GKs

Wildsmith - Bottom half

Dawson - Bottom half

CBs

Iorfa - Top half

Dunkley - Bottom half (never played higher in his career)

Borner - Bottom half (only 4 CBs dribbled past more in Champs last season)

Lees - Bottom half

Van Aken - League 1

Urogihde - League 1 

RWBs

Palmer - Top half as a defensive full back in a back 4, as a wing back bottom half 

Odubajo - League 1

LWBs

Harris - Bottom half esp as a WB

Penney - League 1

CMs

Bannan - Top half

Luongo - Top half 

Reach - Current form have to say bottom half unless he can have a dramatic uptake 

Brown - Potentially top half of stays fit

Hunt/FDB/Shaw - League 1 for now 

STs

Rhodes - League 1

Whatever you do, don't try to apply any kind of logic to this.

Our lads only pretend to be bobbar.

In reality, Monk is one of the greatest managers to have ever graced the English game, and our playing staff would put Real Madrid's to shame.

5 hours ago, northeastowl said:

I’m up there with the most negative people however we aren’t getting relegated even with the 12 points deduction. This league is poo . 

To a certain extent it doesn’t matter whether it is a league of Liverpool’s or a league of Accrington Stanley’s...minus 12 is a significant disadvantage as regardless of the quality games will be played and points will be won by those playing. 

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

To a certain extent it doesn’t matter whether it is a league of Liverpool’s or a league of Accrington Stanley’s...minus 12 is a significant disadvantage as regardless of the quality games will be played and points will be won by those playing. 

Exactamondo..lose yer first 2 games and technically you are on minus 18 sort of